Change lodging
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Urgent Update - Shog Rally

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
URGENT UPDATE- SHOG Rally

Dammit!!! Looks like I was too late in getting this reserved. There's a BMW rally there at the same time so all of Treetops is booked.

So now we have to make a decision:

1) Reschedule the Rally to coincide with the open dates at Treetops. They are the following:

5/12-5/19
5/26-6/2
6/9-6/16

OR

2) Forget about Treetops and we're on our own for lodging.

FWIW, I voted to keep the date.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:04 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
FYI,

VFR riders are planning an organized ride during your original weekend date but will be staying at the microtel in robbinsville.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Superstock

kmm996
Change the lodging. So what if the VFR's are going to be there also. I'll probably be bringing a friend with a viffer with me. The more the merrier. What hotels are within 30 miles of the gap?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:03 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I won't vote because I don't know if I'm going to make it or not but it sounds a little crowded that week.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Anything in Robbinsville. There are a few places on the other side in TN, just past the lake or on the lake I think. I really don't know. I've always stayed at CROT.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:01 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I stayed in Alcoa last time I was there, it wasn't too far and the people in the hotel were nice. They even let us park our bikes right outside the room. it was a little pricey though like 50 something a night I think.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superhawk22
I won't vote because I don't know if I'm going to make it or not but it sounds a little crowded that week.
Any week past the 15th of April and it's going to be packed. For these dates

5/12-5/19 wouldn't be bad

5/26-6/2 Memorial day weekend

6/9-6/16 getting really close to Honda Goldwing Hoot, wouldn't recommend time towards the 16th
Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
I would vote for Knoxville/Maryville/Alcoa. There a lot of nice places there, a lot to do after dark and it's a relatively short ride to the Dragon and a booty load of other great roads. I probably won't make it unless it's the week before or week after Memorial day. I always take one of those weeks off.

-Yama (Professional Lurker)
Old 01-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll not vote, but dates are not a big deal to me. I'm as likely to be available on one weekend as I am any other.

Other places to consider;

Two Wheel Inn

Phillips Motel

Microtel

CROT (if you are so inclined)

I was there Saturday (GREAT day of riding!) and the store remodel is in full swing.
Should be a big upgrade from what was the "old store".
The place has changed a LOT in the last 4 years!

edit to add: FWIW, if I was to vote, I'd say keep the dates.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Superstock

kmm996
Same date. Check out Two wheel INN. Private rooms and each room has a bike garage.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Well, I've given this a second thought. How about changing the date to 6/9-6/16? My daughter will be out of school then and it'll just work out better for me.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:51 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Well, I've given this a second thought. How about changing the date to 6/9-6/16? My daughter will be out of school then and it'll just work out better for me.
So are you planning on being there the entire week.

I would be interested in a 9th, 10th, and 11th (possibly12th) trip. The gap is much better away from the weekends.

All the cars and bikes come out during the weekends, not to mention the local law enforcement.

I would most likely stay on the westside just off hwy 129 at Punkin Center Motorcycle Camp Ground. They have Cabins, camping, RV slots, and large party deck with beer on tap.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Superstock

kmm996
My schedule is pretty much open. But we should make a decision soon so we can make reservations and scheduling.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yes, I plan on staying the entire week, for two reasons. First, I'm not driving 15 hours to a place to ride for 2 days. Second, I need to get some quality mid-week ride time at the Dragon. Both rally rides will include the Dragon but not concentrate on it. They will include roads will less LEO and squidly types such as Cherohola and the Foothills Pkwy. See the other stickied thread for the route.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Far as I can tell, those dates (June) should be OK for me.

FWIW, some weekends there is essentially zero LEO presence outside of working accidents.
You just never know.
The Cherohala scares me worse for LEOs because there can be less traffic to give you a warning.
At The Gap, weekends before 10:00-10:30 am and after about 3:00-4:00 pm can be good riding.
Matter of fact, post 4 pm is about my favorite time. The road is warm, traffic has thinned out, and the road can be lots of fun!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Brian A
Far as I can tell, those dates (June) should be OK for me.

FWIW, some weekends there is essentially zero LEO presence outside of working accidents.
You just never know.
The Cherohala scares me worse for LEOs because there can be less traffic to give you a warning.
At The Gap, weekends before 10:00-10:30 am and after about 3:00-4:00 pm can be good riding.
Matter of fact, post 4 pm is about my favorite time. The road is warm, traffic has thinned out, and the road can be lots of fun!
I would plan on riding the Skyway east to west. Most of the serious crashes occur west to east with several decreasing radius turns. The Skyway and the Gap are two serious roads with different mothers.

Skyway can easily be ridden at twice the posted speed limit for those daring enough to do it and can catch a new rider to the area off guard and into the guardrail (Armco) very quickly.

There are more injuries and deaths on the Skyway by far, so be careful and for goodness sake ride it from east to west to avoid the increased crash percentages.

I am trying to plan on being up there Sat. 9th thru 12th, So i will hook up with you guys/gals over those days, but i am into camping and have all the gear, so that is most economical for me and i will be at the motorcycle resort on the west side parting at night.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Back Marker

saxman is on a distinguished road
HI guys/ gals,
I'm fairly new here. I bought a 99 SuperHawk this spring, 10 minutes from the Dragon, and didn't get to ride it. I rode on the back of a BMW 1150GSA for 550 miles to get there, pouring down rain, got there too late in the evening to get temp plate, and had to be back the next day, so we turned around and rode all the way back with both bikes only stopping for gas and food. I SWORE to get there this summer and ride the Gap. I am Road Captain for a local group (National Road Riders) in Ohio, and we are talking about going down the same week in June. If it all works out, would it get anyone's panties in a bunch if we swung by one evening so I could meet some of you? Our group rides all makes and types of bikes, so I would be the only 996 in it. Just don't want anyone getting offended if a few Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Kawa's and maybe a couple Harley's would roll up some eve......of course, the SuperHawk would be at the front of the line...lol. We never meet strangers, and always have fun!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Administrator
World Champion

I think most of the forum members are pretty much biker-friendly no matter what you're on, meaning we wave at all riders, be it Goldwing, Hardly...I mean Harley , or sportbike. I would welcome any and all riders to the rally. As the saying goes, "I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone!" hehe

Oh, and to the forum!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I may be able to make the June dates. If i can...Treetops sounds good.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Okay, we change the dates then. I'll unsticky this tomorrow. I'm going to start a new thread to see how many we can get for the Treetops.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Alcoa's nice, lots of food and a Hooters. Motel was cheap and clean, $35 bucks a night for two beds. I'm going the third week in May with a mixed group. Hope to see some of your bikes.

Cheers