General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
View Poll Results: SHOG Rally Lodging?
Treetops and The Ridge ($120/person/week for 15 people)
75.00%
Crossroads of Time (Camping or Cabin)
12.50%
Other (please mention your recommendation)
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

SHOG Rally Lodging

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
SHOG Rally Lodging

Please only post if you plan on attending. Thanks. See http://www.dealsgap.com/motel.htm for CROT rates.

List of committed members (no pun intended) :

Treetops
Hawkrider & wife
NoMar Tire Changer, LLC (Steve) + friend
Cliffhangerstx

CROT (camping)
Brian A.

TOTAL: 6

Old 11-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
The Two Wheel Inn is a great place to stay. We stayed there last year, we loved the accomidations and the owners. It is In Robbinsville, about a 15 to 20 min ride to the gap.

You also get a Motorcycle garage with each room.

http://www.twowheelinn.com/
Old 11-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Is the $120 per night or for the couple days?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Mister Mohawk---it is $120 for the week, if we get 15 people to go, and it seems that should not be a problem....Greg, you might want to change the poll to say "for the week"...

Guys/gals I am down with what ever....I would prefer not to camp, but if that is what the group comes up with I am game...I think any of the above options looks good...As long as there is a bed to rest in, and a shower for me to keep my tail clean, and a way to cook then I am good to go...of course a garage for the bike would be a nice bonus, and it seems there are several options for that....

I like the idea of the big house, so we could all hang out in comfort, as opposed to the individual rooms, but that is just my opinion...

I think the two wheel inn is a good option as well, like the big house it would allow us to cook, and a garage for the bike....

Greg is there a run down of the total cost of the trip, ie lodge, food, possible miles traveled in a day to break down cost of fuel etc....I know that is being ****, but that might help....seems to me that if it is under a hundred a day for all that fun then it would be a great trip...and of course I know it will be a little different for each person....but just to get a baseline to deal with...

R
Old 11-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx
Greg, you might want to change the poll to say "for the week"...
Done! Also, you can stay 2 days or stay a week. It'll be the same $120 cost either way, which is still better than CROT cabins, considering the accomodations.

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx
Greg is there a run down of the total cost of the trip, ie lodge, food, possible miles traveled in a day to break down cost of fuel etc....I know that is being ****, but that might help....seems to me that if it is under a hundred a day for all that fun then it would be a great trip...and of course I know it will be a little different for each person....but just to get a baseline to deal with.
That'll be tough to do, but I'll give it a go. Personally, I'm staying the week. I don't travel 13 hours each way and stay for 2 days. That's just dumb.

I figure at least 3 tanks/day (300 miles). Food can be bought at the store. Wanna go beanie weenies, coke, and Twinkies? Okay, that's like $15 for food. Wanna do steak, fresh veggies, and Mrs. Smith's Apple pie? Well, now you're talking $20/meal, plus beer .

Stay 2 days and it's $60 for lodging, $30 for gas, and whatever for food, per day.

Stay 5 days and it's $24 for lodging, $30 for gas, and whatever for food, per day.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

did you forget to figure in the Highway usage coupons??

That sound pretty reasonable...I like it....Now we need people to commit...How far out would we have to make the reservations??
Old 11-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator
World Champion

I would like to make reservations by the end of the year. That gives us about 5-6 weeks to entice folks to commit.

If we only get 8 people we only have to reserve Treetops and it'll still be very reasonable. When we get over 8 is when we'll have to consider reserving The Ridge as well.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
I should know by year's end if I can commit. I'd be in for a week. Like you, Greg, there's no sense in staying only a couple days for such a long trip.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Sounds good, and I am game for the full week, count me in for 1....It would have to be something very unexpected for me to be out at this point....lol

Also, if we don't have enough hawk riders that can make it maybe we can open it up to others....guess we can see what happens towards the end of the year....
Old 11-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

I'll keep an ongoing roster in the first post and update it as we get commitments.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll just meet you guys over there since lodging isn't an issue for me
Old 11-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Oh, I see how it is. So maybe what you're really saying is that I should add "Sgt Rock's House (free!)" to the poll???
Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Now we're talking....Sgt Rock, sounds to me like you are hosting the camp fire B.S. lodging portion of this Rally.....LOL :-D
Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Superstock

You guys are funny. I wouldn't mind but I'm sure my better half would have something to say about it.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Squid

V-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Hello,
I'm pretty new here, been lurking a bit but actually, this is my first post (Nice to meet you all! Great forum!). I scoped around a bit to find more info on SHOG Rally but I don't see anything else. Is this somekind of gathering for forum members or something? Anywhere I can read more info?

Thanks.

Gary
Old 11-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Squid

V-Raptor is on a distinguished road
D'oh! Nevermind....search function...gotta love it (not to mention the *ahem* sticky just a centimeter above this thread. That's me, master of the obvious.) That's pretty far east from here. Dammit. Oh well.

Take care.

Gary
Old 12-01-2006, 12:59 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
when do you need to know exact numbers or when do the reservations have to be set? I'm trying to figure things out for when I wanna go. My buddy goes every year and I might go with him cause it saves me from trucking down by myself
Old 12-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Squid

itsjason13 is on a distinguished road
Maybe I missed this, but what dates are you guys planning on for Deals Gap ride?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Superstock

kmm996
There's a Super Hawk Owners Group! How did I miss this?! Please someone fill me in here. I would love to get in on this, ride and chat with other VTR owners. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Well, SHOG is kinda made up...by me. It's unofficial and it's really based around SHF. I could've called it the "SHF Rally" too. This will be the first SHOG Rally at The Gap. See the stickied thread in General Discussion.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Damn Greg, I guess you made it too complicated....lol...so what does SHOG stand for? Scammin Home Owners Good?? or Send Her Over Greg, or See Hawks On the Gap?? **** Happens Often Gee.....ok I was bored for a moment...
Old 12-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Superstock

kmm996
Thanks for the info. We should make this official.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Superstock

The only suggestion I have is to keep in mind that April and May are our rainy seasons. We usually get 3 out of 4 weeks of rain each month.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

I vote for Feb....put some chains on the shoes, and shuweeeee
Old 12-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll not vote in the poll, as I don't want to appear to be voting "for camping at the CROT", even though that is what I plan to do.
You guys get your group together and stay at the house(s). They are nice and that is a good way to go.
I just always camp and will follow my same routine.
I'll likely only be able to do a long weekend, so I'll plan to make it a 3-day weekend the first weekend of the shin-dig.
As time gets closer, we can set a meeting time for Sat morn and all hook up. We'll have to get everybody together for some pictures.
The overlook is a good place, as is the area down below Fontana Dam.

Just thinking ahead.....
do we want to have a plan in the event it looks like a lot of rain? Maybe a single go-to person (Greg) to make the call Y/N?
It's not a big deal for me. I get to go a lot and it's only a 4.5 hour drive.
For those who rarely/never get to go, and/or have a long drive to get there, it might be smart to have a cancel/reschedule plan if the weather looks crappy for most of the time.

I know it's early, but I hope everybody comes with their head screwed on straight. The Dragon and The Cherohala are both very willing to allow one to get in over their head real quick. This past spring a rider died in a single bike crash during the R1 rally.
The Cherohala can be bad because the speed can be a good bit higher there. FWIW, I rarely ride The Cherohala. It begs to be ridden FAST, but the speed limit is silly slow and they will write you a ticket. And from what I hear, North Carolina has a MANDATORY court appearance for speeding. A buddy of mine had to take a day off work and do a day-trip up to NC just to appear in court and pay his fine. :/

Look forward to seeing you guys!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

You are correct on the court appearance....You must take your highway useage coupon with you to that city/county....
Old 12-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yes, as an MSF instructor I will definitely be stressing safety and riding at "The Pace", for those that have read the article. If not, Google it.

I will be taking weather into consideration, though I also realize from personal experience, that you will get wet 6 out of 10 rides on the Cherohola. We'll have to play it by ear. I don't want to schedule this too late in the season or on a holiday weekend because it will be just freakin' crazy up there with other riders, squids, car clubs, and law enforcement. That was my basis for choosing the dates. If I'm wrong, by all means let me know.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Okay, now is the time to commit to the rally. My brother, owner of NoMar Tire Changer, LLC. will also be there changing tires. He wrote:

"My schedule is totally open May 2-10. Sue will need to stay because of work.

Probably that Saturday I will be staying the day at the Deal's Gap campground area doing demos off the trailer. Let anyone you want know if they bring a tire or send it to me ahead of time I will have a changer there for free mount and balance. The rest of the time I see a lot of riding. Saturday is a good day to lay low from the man anyway. I have a couple of demo tires I am selling cheap. Never used, only changed a lot. Dunlop qualifier and sportmax 180 rears $80/e"

I have updated the first post to reflect who I know is going so far. Please speak up now so we can get a roster!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Count me in.
As I mentioned earlier, I'll likely camp at CROT.
I'll shoot to arrive Thursday night and will have to leave there Sunday afternoon.

C U there-
Brian
Old 12-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Thanks, Brian. Gotcha on the roster. Everyone else who wants more information on the rally, please see the sticky for details.

Quick Reply: SHOG Rally Lodging