General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 06:47 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

whatthefnck is on a distinguished road
Upgrades

I just got lucky with a bit of spending cash. What are some of the best upgrades I can do with a troug estimate of price? I want to run better with the cbr1000's if I can. Thx
Old 06-02-2018, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
lightweight flywheel, fork brace, front brakes (braided lines, decent pads and an MC and calipers from an F4i), and some suspension work (notably the forks; contact Jamie D on the site and he can set you up for forks and a shock too). Depending on where you ride, you can possibly adjust your gearing too. Replacing the short intake trumpet on the front cylinder with a second long one will give a noticeable bump in low-end and mids too. Lots more you can do too, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend
Old 06-02-2018, 08:24 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Bottom line, you're not going to be keeping up with modern I4 1k's in a straight line. Biggest bang for buck is to go on a diet, lol! Both you and the bike.

That being said, first thing I'd do is get the forks sprung for your weight and revalved. And set sag front and rear.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:32 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Are you starting with a stock bike?

The number one thing you could do is rider training. An expert rider on a small bike can outrun good riders on faster bikes. I would recommend not racing on the street though. Not a good path to go down.

Consider doing a track day or race school.

On the bike itself the mods listed above but a cbr fork swap does wonders for handling as does a Penske shock
Old 06-02-2018, 09:31 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Judging by the question I'm assuming you mean in a straight line and if that's the case save yourself the aggravation (along with the money), sell the bike and buy something faster. Or you can drop 5 grand on an engine build to pick up 10-15 hp and you're still gonna get waxed just about as bad as before. You can upgrade the brakes and the suspension and do some stuff to pick up a little more power but if you're looking to run with modern 4 cyl. liter bikes anywhere but in the turns (and that's completely dependent on your skill level) you're missing the point of a Superhawk and bought the wrong bike.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:43 AM
MotoGP

Yes, what chaos said.
Where are you able to push the performance envelope of this bike on the street without it ending in great unhappiness?
Old 06-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by whatthefnck
I just got lucky with a bit of spending cash. What are some of the best upgrades I can do with a troug estimate of price? I want to run better with the cbr1000's if I can. Thx
Tell us where, how you want to " run better with the cbr1000's" It wont really happen Bike to bike....but we might tell you where you can see some gains.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:19 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

whatthefnck is on a distinguished road
Long time fire my reply, my only chance at ever beating/running with I4s is on a track with the twists. SH's are great City bikes bc if the twin torque power. I was beating many riders simply bc I push harder than them do even tho my bike is inferior. I'm thinking of making it a track bike mostly.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:30 AM
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
start with good suspension. a good rear shock and well sprung forks on a track is worth 10bhp all day long.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Judging by the question I'm assuming you mean in a straight line and if that's the case save yourself the aggravation (along with the money), sell the bike and buy something faster. Or you can drop 5 grand on an engine build to pick up 10-15 hp and you're still gonna get waxed just about as bad as before. You can upgrade the brakes and the suspension and do some stuff to pick up a little more power but if you're looking to run with modern 4 cyl. liter bikes anywhere but in the turns (and that's completely dependent on your skill level) you're missing the point of a Superhawk and bought the wrong bike.
Maybe should have read all of the post but as far as building an engine it is all what you want. I did the 4 grand thing maybe more and love the bike. Its like a woman no mater what there is up keep and in the end you might loss her in someway. But the bottom line " Is the ride worth it " to you. In my case yes. 350 miles on the motor and just going out to adjust the cam chain for the first time. now if it would stop raining. Mowing the yard is not as fun as the bike. LOL
Old 06-23-2018, 08:53 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Suspension/brakes first for sure. Shifter lever mod also adds 7-10hp.... all day.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:39 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Killemall
Suspension/brakes first for sure. Shifter lever mod also adds 7-10hp.... all day.
+Shifting.
I am running a new motor and on my old motor which is sitting on the workbench has in it the factory pro shift kit. I miss it very much and will someday soon take it out and put it in the new motor. I am not so sure of the Kevlar clutch that I installed with only 600 miles on it but seems funky at times.
So long story shorted up waiting until my decision on the clutch until I do the swap as I might swap the clutch at the same time. also why you are in there you might as well put the ignition advance in.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Squid

Longmont is on a distinguished road
F4I calipers

Do F4I calipers bolt on, or is modification required?
Thanks!
Joe
Old 07-06-2018, 06:25 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Longmont
Do F4I calipers bolt on, or is modification required?
Thanks!
Joe
The caliper itself needs a little clearancing where the bottom fork tab is.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:47 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
The caliper itself needs a little clearancing where the bottom fork tab is.

As noted there is a bit of interference.. most cut the caliper ..I took a different approach and removed 1/2 the needed clearances off the caliper and 1/2 off the fork leg.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Squid

Bates is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by whatthefnck
Turbocharger!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:11 AM
Back Marker

bigborer is on a distinguished road
What is the benefit with fitting the f4i calipers?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:41 AM
MotoGP

More power, control and safety due to stronger brakes.
Stronger brakes mean wider area of impending lock up more control of stops.
100% worth the mod since you sell your brakes to make up cost. Only better improvement is a whole cbr front end.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:07 PM
Back Marker

bigborer is on a distinguished road
I understand, but what makes the difference between the front calipers on the VTR vs the ones on the F4i? They seem quite similar, both Nissin, both 4 cylinders per caliper... could it be that the f4i calipers pistons have a greater surface? If so, could you tell what are the actual numbers?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't trust your expertise, but I like need to know how and why stuff works the way it does

Already got a new set of steel braided lines waiting to be installed, those alone (and surely, new fluid) will probably give a big improvement.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by bigborer
I understand, but what makes the difference between the front calipers on the VTR vs the ones on the F4i? They seem quite similar, both Nissin, both 4 cylinders per caliper... could it be that the f4i calipers pistons have a greater surface? If so, could you tell what are the actual numbers?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't trust your expertise, but I like need to know how and why stuff works the way it does

Already got a new set of steel braided lines waiting to be installed, those alone (and surely, new fluid) will probably give a big improvement.
Different piston sizes. I swapped to the f4's and noticed a huge improvement, combined with ss lines and ebc hh pads. I feel my hawk has all the stopping power and modulation I need (track days included).