General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

A Tale of

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Squid

LittleFlowerz is on a distinguished road
A Tale of

I have been enjoying my VTR that I recently got this year. Riding this bike is so much fun; the torque is a blast and lively character of the chasis is fun. However, I took out my CBR600F3 for the first time in months and am now certain that the CBR allows to corner considerably quicker on tight roads.

I noticed that when I really try to pick up the pace the VTR begins to feel a little soft and starts to "wallow".

Interestingly enough when I ride the CBR, I feel compelled to keep going faster and faster. When I get on the VTR, I just want to have fun and "giv'er".
My suspension is basically set to stock setting (with the exception of stiffer linear front springs) and am wondering whether it is just a case of tuning the stock suspension (ie. upping fork rebound) or not bother and look at RaceTech Fork Gold Valve Kit (standard) is the first place to start?
Old 08-11-2015, 03:40 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
I agree the superhawk is an awesome bike and loads of fun but its major downfall is the suspension. for one the forks and shock lack adjustability. the rear shock is almost too stiff for the bike in general and can atleast use better valving and a spring setup for your weight. A swap to a name brand shock(hard to come by and usually expensive as ****) or a swap to a DMR F4i shock set up to your weight and riding style(much cheaper) is the way to go if you have the money...

Your heading in the right direction with straight rate springs in the forks but it needs better valving at least but being RSU forks they are week at the limbs and could use a fork brace. Otherwise a swap to better USD forks is the way to go, again, if you have the money...

back to the rear it is common to brace the swingarm to make it stiffer and not flex so much in the corners.

Otherwise if you dont have the manual or downloaded the manual, do it, there is a section on there as to how to set up the suspension but its usually a 2 person job...
Old 08-11-2015, 04:42 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
In my opinion step 1 is to decide how much money you want to spend.

I can want my car to look and ride like a Ferrarri, but if i don't have the money to make it happen, then i may as well pick something else to do.

So, that being said, what budget do you have to work with?

I would say that:

$200 gets ya a spring swap front and rear to get both ends of the bike balanced and setup for your weight. That budget will also pay for new fork oil. This is assuming you do it yourself, no labor cost included.

Or for $200 you could just do the front end, springs, fork oil, gold valves, and you may be able to squeeze in a fork brace.

$3-400 will get you a modified/upgraded rear shock with a little leftover for fork oil and such.

$500 will get you a cbr900rr right side up front fork and triple clamps with correct springs, and fork oil.

$600 will get you a nice used aftermarket rear shock.

$1000 will get you a whole new front end from another bike with upside down forks. This amount should get you the forks, triple clamps, springs, brakes, bearings. Basically everything you need. Choose carefully, there are many front ends that will work. Some people spend more than $1k doing this, but i've priced it out and if you are frugal and patient, then you can do it for $1k.

This isn't an absolute price guide, just a guideline. Some people spend more on some of the things listed above, some spend less.

James
Old 08-12-2015, 06:53 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The stock rear spring should be OK for most riders. You've got stiffer fork springs which is an important change. The bike will steer more quickly if you shim the rear shock. Do that and set the sag correctly and your VTR should feel quicker on tight roads. You'll spend less than $10 for the washers or shim.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
I believe the easiest way is to send forks to Jamie Daugherty for rework, new internals, and buy his rear shock as well. Together with raised rear by 3-6 mm and decent brake upgrade (16 mm pump from F4i or whole brake group upgrade).
These mods are essential.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LittleFlowerz
I noticed that when I really try to pick up the pace the VTR begins to feel a little soft and starts to "wallow".
Check out some of these magazine articles about the VTR. Chassis flex was engineered into this machine.
You've already got the first (most beneficial) step with stiffer springs. Get matching valving in there and if ya still don't like the old girl, she might not be for you... A ridin' buddy of mine who once had an RC51 (amoung many other bikes over the years) really never liked the VTR for that reason.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedeatons
$1000 will get you a whole new front end from another bike

James
That still needs several hundred dollars in springs and valving
Old 08-12-2015, 04:34 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Quote: This isn't an absolute price guide, just a guideline. Some people spend more on some of the things listed above, some spend less.

Not everyone needs new springs, it's weight dependent. Valving is a personal choice. Some like a stiff setup, some like a soft setup. Like i mentioned, just a guideline.

James
Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
sell your VTR and buy an RC51 instead. you'll be farther ahead to start with this platform if you are trying to compete with the CBR.