Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

VTR with CBR 900 forks/ final set up (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Squid

Rock is on a distinguished road
VTR with CBR 900 forks/ final set up (long)

for now anyway. I had a prior thread going trying to identify my front fork and calipers. Final answers have me convinced the forks are CBR 900rr and calipers are stock VTR. Thanks again to all the help here. I was having turn in problems so, long story short, I raised the forks to 15 mm above upper triple, measured below fork caps, & shimmed the Ohlins rear shock 5 mm. The forks had Racetech internals when I got the bike. This is a track only Hawk and I managed to fit in a Labor day track day at a local track, (Thunderhill) A big difference for sure, but what an improvement, she turns in with little or no effort, my corner speed is way up. There seems to be no head shake at speed down the front straight and a couple of times ,or more, I lifted the front wheel over turn 9, (easy to do as it drops off pretty fast ) and landed a little off, but the front end just settled in . Even downhill under heavy braking bike felt planted. I am not sure this set up would work for the street as there are many more uneven surfaces. I had no hard parts that hit the pavement either. I was concerned for sure as most info says the CBR900rr forks are very short and things will drag. Oh, sag is 30mm fr/20mm rear
I am by no means fast, but ride in "B " group, cause C is to restrictive. So
if your running this set up and want to quicken things up, start moving forks up a little at a time, and use caution, it so far is working for me.And shim the rear, that is probably as important as anything.

Last edited by Rock; 09-08-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2009, 02:28 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Sounds nice, so did it makes the bike feel stiffer ??
I feel that the forks are probably the thing that flex the most on our bikes, followed by the swing arm, then the frame.
There is no best way to put it to the test than a trackday.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Raising the forks 15mm won't help with flex much, at least not any that you could tell. The 900RR forks are larger in diamter than the stock VTR ones, that's what does the trick. Also, inverted forks have even less deflection, that's why they are the hot setup on new bikes.