SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Upgrades (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/upgrades-34969/)

whatthefnck 06-02-2018 06:47 PM

Upgrades

I just got lucky with a bit of spending cash. What are some of the best upgrades I can do with a troug estimate of price? I want to run better with the cbr1000's if I can. Thx

mikstr 06-02-2018 07:29 PM

lightweight flywheel, fork brace, front brakes (braided lines, decent pads and an MC and calipers from an F4i), and some suspension work (notably the forks; contact Jamie D on the site and he can set you up for forks and a shock too). Depending on where you ride, you can possibly adjust your gearing too. Replacing the short intake trumpet on the front cylinder with a second long one will give a noticeable bump in low-end and mids too. Lots more you can do too, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend

Wolverine 06-02-2018 08:24 PM

Bottom line, you're not going to be keeping up with modern I4 1k's in a straight line. Biggest bang for buck is to go on a diet, lol! Both you and the bike.

That being said, first thing I'd do is get the forks sprung for your weight and revalved. And set sag front and rear.

smokinjoe73 06-02-2018 08:32 PM

Are you starting with a stock bike?

The number one thing you could do is rider training. An expert rider on a small bike can outrun good riders on faster bikes. I would recommend not racing on the street though. Not a good path to go down.

Consider doing a track day or race school.

On the bike itself the mods listed above but a cbr fork swap does wonders for handling as does a Penske shock

captainchaos 06-02-2018 09:31 PM

Judging by the question I'm assuming you mean in a straight line and if that's the case save yourself the aggravation (along with the money), sell the bike and buy something faster. Or you can drop 5 grand on an engine build to pick up 10-15 hp and you're still gonna get waxed just about as bad as before. You can upgrade the brakes and the suspension and do some stuff to pick up a little more power but if you're looking to run with modern 4 cyl. liter bikes anywhere but in the turns (and that's completely dependent on your skill level) you're missing the point of a Superhawk and bought the wrong bike.

smokinjoe73 06-03-2018 05:43 AM

Yes, what chaos said.
Where are you able to push the performance envelope of this bike on the street without it ending in great unhappiness?

E.Marquez 06-03-2018 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by whatthefnck (Post 406369)
I just got lucky with a bit of spending cash. What are some of the best upgrades I can do with a troug estimate of price? I want to run better with the cbr1000's if I can. Thx

Tell us where, how you want to " run better with the cbr1000's" It wont really happen Bike to bike....but we might tell you where you can see some gains.

whatthefnck 06-19-2018 07:19 PM

Long time fire my reply, my only chance at ever beating/running with I4s is on a track with the twists. SH's are great City bikes bc if the twin torque power. I was beating many riders simply bc I push harder than them do even tho my bike is inferior. I'm thinking of making it a track bike mostly.

fabiostar 06-20-2018 01:30 AM

start with good suspension. a good rear shock and well sprung forks on a track is worth 10bhp all day long.

Stumpy 06-22-2018 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 406373)
Judging by the question I'm assuming you mean in a straight line and if that's the case save yourself the aggravation (along with the money), sell the bike and buy something faster. Or you can drop 5 grand on an engine build to pick up 10-15 hp and you're still gonna get waxed just about as bad as before. You can upgrade the brakes and the suspension and do some stuff to pick up a little more power but if you're looking to run with modern 4 cyl. liter bikes anywhere but in the turns (and that's completely dependent on your skill level) you're missing the point of a Superhawk and bought the wrong bike.

Maybe should have read all of the post but as far as building an engine it is all what you want. I did the 4 grand thing maybe more and love the bike. Its like a woman no mater what there is up keep and in the end you might loss her in someway. But the bottom line " Is the ride worth it " to you. In my case yes. 350 miles on the motor and just going out to adjust the cam chain for the first time. now if it would stop raining. Mowing the yard is not as fun as the bike. LOL

Killemall 06-23-2018 08:53 AM

Suspension/brakes first for sure. Shifter lever mod also adds 7-10hp.... all day.

Stumpy 06-30-2018 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Killemall (Post 406606)
Suspension/brakes first for sure. Shifter lever mod also adds 7-10hp.... all day.

+Shifting.
I am running a new motor and on my old motor which is sitting on the workbench has in it the factory pro shift kit. I miss it very much and will someday soon take it out and put it in the new motor. I am not so sure of the Kevlar clutch that I installed with only 600 miles on it but seems funky at times.
So long story shorted up waiting until my decision on the clutch until I do the swap as I might swap the clutch at the same time. also why you are in there you might as well put the ignition advance in.

Longmont 07-06-2018 04:36 PM

F4I calipers

Do F4I calipers bolt on, or is modification required?
Thanks!
Joe

Wolverine 07-06-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Longmont (Post 406731)
Do F4I calipers bolt on, or is modification required?
Thanks!
Joe

The caliper itself needs a little clearancing where the bottom fork tab is.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...d-img_1331.jpg
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...d-img_1322.jpg

E.Marquez 07-06-2018 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 406732)
The caliper itself needs a little clearancing where the bottom fork tab is.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...d-img_1331.jpg
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...d-img_1322.jpg

As noted there is a bit of interference.. most cut the caliper ..I took a different approach and removed 1/2 the needed clearances off the caliper and 1/2 off the fork leg.

Bates 07-17-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by whatthefnck (Post 406369)

Turbocharger!

bigborer 07-19-2018 08:11 AM

What is the benefit with fitting the f4i calipers?

smokinjoe73 07-19-2018 10:41 AM

More power, control and safety due to stronger brakes.
Stronger brakes mean wider area of impending lock up more control of stops.
100% worth the mod since you sell your brakes to make up cost. Only better improvement is a whole cbr front end.

bigborer 07-19-2018 01:07 PM

I understand, but what makes the difference between the front calipers on the VTR vs the ones on the F4i? They seem quite similar, both Nissin, both 4 cylinders per caliper... could it be that the f4i calipers pistons have a greater surface? If so, could you tell what are the actual numbers?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't trust your expertise, but I like need to know how and why stuff works the way it does :)

Already got a new set of steel braided lines waiting to be installed, those alone (and surely, new fluid) will probably give a big improvement.

Wolverine 07-19-2018 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigborer (Post 406858)
I understand, but what makes the difference between the front calipers on the VTR vs the ones on the F4i? They seem quite similar, both Nissin, both 4 cylinders per caliper... could it be that the f4i calipers pistons have a greater surface? If so, could you tell what are the actual numbers?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't trust your expertise, but I like need to know how and why stuff works the way it does :)

Already got a new set of steel braided lines waiting to be installed, those alone (and surely, new fluid) will probably give a big improvement.

Different piston sizes. I swapped to the f4's and noticed a huge improvement, combined with ss lines and ebc hh pads. I feel my hawk has all the stopping power and modulation I need (track days included).