General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Update on TMB motorsport fork braces - for those who already paid

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Update on TMB motorsport fork braces - for those who already paid

1st of all - This is an info only thread for those of you who have already ordered and paid for frork braces from Truck. This is NOT the place to inquire about ordering them. And Please do NOT use this thread for any bashing on Truck. This thread is only for distributing info on the current orders.

Now we all knew that the fork braces were not complete ready to ship items when we put the money up and that it would be a while until they were ready to go. No firm date was promised. And we all know that Truck has had some seriously bad luck and health issues. But it has been quite a while since Truck has checked in to give us ANY update on the situation. So like the rest of you that have have put up funds for a TMB fork Brace, I have been wondering what the status is on them for months.

Since Truck has not checked in here for quite some time. I joined another forum where Truck is a very active member and managed to make contact with him. I let him know we were pretty pissed that he had not given us any update and that by evidence of his posts on the other forum he was able to get around and work on things.

He wrote back right away to say that he is actually kinda ashamed and scared to post here. I let him know that not giving us any updates was definitely not a good way to keep folks happy, and that I would pass on any info he gave me so that folks have an idea what is going on.

The following is direct from Truck late last night:

..."I understand their frustration. I got the braces back from the machinist who never got around to doing them. I guess he thought that since he was doing it for a friend it was not top priority, even though I paid him.

I ended up making a jig and counter boring the braces myself in my little drill press. Everyone I talked to said It wasn't rigid enough but I went ahead and did it anyway.

Ive broken 3 taps off in the braces trying to thread them so that's the holdup at the moment. that's 3 braces I cant get the broken taps out of so I had to start over.

I should have them ready for coating this week.

Like I said I'm kinda ashamed and kinda scared to tell everyone whats up, But the braces will be done and mailed out soon.

Thanks, Trucker"...

So, I hope I won't need to forward any more messages and he can speak for himself from here on. If we can keep it civil folks, he should have no reason to be scared or ashamed of posting here to keep us in the loop.

Last edited by Moto Man; 09-23-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

9/30 Update from Truck via Fighters forum:
"Ive got 3 braces done and ready to ship out. 1 red and 2 blacks. Here are some pics, I'm test fitting every brace and they all fit wonderfully...

I discovered that my kneecap has been shattered, pieces floating around in my knee doing all sorts of damage, for a year now. Doctors say its gonna be very dificult to fix and a hard and tedious recovery."
Much thanks to Truck for coming through on these. I don't know who all ordered one, But it looks like they should all be in the mail this week.

Last edited by Moto Man; 09-30-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Those are freakin' cool looking! I don't think I'd mind waiting on those.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Well, waiting for almost a year but I was young once too.

Difficulties approach at every station in life. Knee replacement for Truck is the best solution given his age but the surgery and rehab are tens of thousands of dollars deep. Until then, as he suggests, the damage just gets worse.

Obamacare going to step up? Best of luck, Trucker but I'd start plotting some billet top triples if I was you. Maybe some rearsets after that.

The better product supplies the better bank. Gixxer candy is next? You walk into any quality hospital and tell them you will pay $28k cash for a knee replacement with all the goodies for two years they will hand you a calendar.

There is only one move - ahead. Get creative.

Guys are looking for a new run on velocity stacks. These short run projects might fuel your refrigerator while all this **** boils down but you gotta pay attention.

These new pictures look good.

Regards and best wishes!

Last edited by nuhawk; 09-30-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:04 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
one suggestion to truck: MAN UP and post here...
Old 10-01-2009, 06:30 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
ok jack. Im here. I know no one is happy with me, and I totally understand it. I have messed up. But everyone that has paid for a product WILL GET IT soon.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Truck, pls. see my other message on the other thread. dude I care about you and I don't mean to get you down anymore than i need to be more down but please stop w/ this "soon" crap and just let the folks know what going on NOW. ask them what progress report frequency will be necessary to keep them happy at this point and KEEP TO IT. it's not up to me to be happy or sad about you. I have tried/am trying to help you, and will keep trying to do so, as best I can, how I can, when I can no matter what you do - but I have a minor bit of experience in this type of thing as we have discussed many months ago...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Anyone else try fitting the TMB fork brace yet? Mine is too big to fit between the forks!?!

Just wondering if they are working for everyone else. Maybe my stock forks are out of whack from my recent lowside?

I was able to easily drop the center part onto my Hawk GT with stock forks; But I have no idea if it has the same distance between the forks as stock Superhawk.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
mine was very very snug, but I got it in there.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Yeah it would have taken a hammer to get mine in. Guess my forks are fooked.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Moto Man
Did you try and loosen the pinch bolts on the fork lower ?
Your lowside may have pushed the left fork leg over a touch.
There is machined groove on the axle that should just be visible on the outside of the fork leg.
You should basically only see half the groove. If you can see all of the groove, or more, than the lower leg is pushed towards the wheel and would prevent the forkbrace from going on.
That would also create lots of stiction...............

Kai Ju
Old 11-09-2009, 02:01 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Moto Man
Originally Posted by kai ju
Did you try and loosen the pinch bolts on the fork lower ?
Your lowside may have pushed the left fork leg over a touch.
There is machined groove on the axle that should just be visible on the outside of the fork leg.
You should basically only see half the groove. If you can see all of the groove, or more, than the lower leg is pushed towards the wheel and would prevent the forkbrace from going on.
That would also create lots of stiction...............

Kai Ju
If that doesn't work... (support the bike securly) loosen one fork completely (triples and axle) and rotate the upper fork leg in the triples. If magically the brace fits at some point, then yes your forks might be a bit tweaked. You may have to do this with each fork if only one is slightly bent.

This probably isn't the best method to tell if they are tweaked... but may be pretty quick..

J.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
This will probably turn into a rant, but here goes...

Three or four weeks ago I posted a response in another fork brace related thread asking whether or not I am the only one still waiting for a brace. No replies. So I assume I am the only one. At the same time I PM'd and emailed Trucker about the situation. Took almost two weeks for a reply but he said, in very few words, that I would have it in a week. That puts expected arrival a week or two ago. Still nothing.

I have become quite frustrated with this whole deal. Trucker gets absolutely no respect from me. In fact, the total lack of communication from him puts his name under total piece of **** in my book. I don't see any reason we all couldn't have had our product two, three, even five months ago! According to that other forum he seemed perfectly capable of working but said to Hell with all of us.

Trucker. If you're reading this: Unless my brace is in the mail right now I expect a total refund of my money.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
By chance, have you read this thread? https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight=superhawk

I agree Trucker should have sent it a long time ago. Give him a chance. Maybe you could call him? It's not like he's able to run around the shop ya know.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 PM
SuperSport

Yes, I've read that and every other thread even mentioning anything about him. He has had my money since April. And I'll admit that it looks like things have gone downhill for him lately. However, a few months went by where everything seemed to be going all right. I'm pretty sure that I or almost anyone could figure out how to make a half dozen fork braces in that time. And if not, I or anyone else, would certainly keep people informed about what is going on. I think I am perfectly justified in being angry. If you've got his number, I'll take it.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
PM LineArrayNut. He can either give you his number or contact him directly if he is willing.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I can only see half or less of the groove in the axle and I'm not having any stiction issues that I can detect. Super smooth travel on compression and rebound. I had already loosened the pinch bolts after the get off to make sure the forks had not been push over. But for the sake of testing I loosened them back up again and wedged the brace in there and had major stiction (read: hard compression and very limited rebound if any)

I made sure to line up the edge of the brace with the edge of the grooves on the forks to be sure it was not in there uneven and applying lateral pressure. I even tried lining up the brace with the both the bottom and top of the groove just to try a couple of spots on the forks. All with the same stiction issues. That got me thinking about the forks possibly not being even with each other in the triples. I was only able to do some quick measurements on that but it looks like they might be off from each other just a bit So looks like the next step is loosen them up and reset the heights.

Just wondering if anyone else besides Swordfish fit the brace yet?

Last edited by Moto Man; 11-11-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

Has this issue been resolved?

MM your .02 update would be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Sorry guys. Have been too busy to go any further so far. I've already got her hoisted and ready to work on the forks and hope to be able to get to it this weekend. Who else has it fitted so far?

Last edited by Moto Man; 11-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 PM
SuperSport

I almost can't believe it but my brace finally arrived today. It looks great and fit beautifully.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM
MotoGP

pictures, mboe?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:21 AM
SuperSport

I'll see what I can do on pics but don't get you're hopes up. My computer took a **** last week so I'm using a relic that has very limited abilities.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Well I got a chance to check out the forks. Bottom line is that resetting the forks seems to have done the trick... First of all one of the forks was 0.5 millimeters lower than the other (44mm and 44.5mm from top of triple clamp to top of fork tube) so I am sure that was a factor. I pulled the forks off the bike and rolled the stanchions across my nice flat work bench and could not detect any bends. I put them back on the bike and reset the heights (top of fork tube is now 45mm over the top triple clamp for both forks). And After torquing down the triple clamps the brace still takes quite a bit of shoving to get in there but is not causing the binding I was getting. I'm guessing the forks were also slightly twisted in the triples as well. Still have to finish up the job and go for a ride to test the brace in action.

Last edited by Moto Man; 11-23-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:54 PM
MotoGP

MM I think it's supposed to be 10-12mm out of the top triple. Man if you're 45 out - you're asking for a headache. We had a bike in here last year that been "wheelie'd out" and the fork springs were so collapsed they required 30mm shims just to have some amount of preload.

Got springs?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:12 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
MM I think it's supposed to be 10-12mm out of the top triple. Man if you're 45 out - you're asking for a headache.
Isn't that 45mm where the clip-ons go?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Squid

johndb is on a distinguished road
MM I think it's supposed to be 10-12mm out of the top triple. Man if you're 45 out - you're asking for a headache. We had a bike in here last year that been "wheelie'd out" and the fork springs were so collapsed they required 30mm shims just to have some amount of preload.

Got springs?

Then there would be no place to clamp on the clip-ons!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

MM I think it's supposed to be 10-12mm out of the top triple. Man if you're 45 out - you're asking for a headache.
I think your talking about measuring above the clip-ons to the top of the fork cap (but not all the way to the top of the hex nut on the fork). For that distance I have about 11.5mm, but I have VFR clip-ons so I can't be sure they are the same height as the stock VTR clip-ons.

The factory manual wants you to set the forks so that the top of the clip-on is just below the groove in the top of the fork. I've got about 6mm between the top of the VFR clipons and the groove in the fork. I'm thinking I might should raise the forks more to quicken the steering more. But I am waiting until I can get some weight matched springs in there 1st.

Last edited by Moto Man; 11-24-2009 at 11:47 AM.