General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Upcoming mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Blackvtwin (Mal) is a nice bloke as we say here, so I am sure he won't mind telling you what he has done.

But he is not on our forum very often, so you will need to be patient while waiting for a reply. I saw his bike last year when a lot of us got together for a big group ride, but I cannot remember the details of it.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I just got a call from the chap who machined my new Jamie D shifter and it`s finally ready to pick up. He told me he ran into problems trying to machine down the stock pivot bolt and eventually machined a new one. Anyhow, he said the needle bearing is pressed in and there is now ZERO play

I`ll be picking it up and installing it on Friday so I'll report back shortly

cheers
Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I just got a call from the chap who machined my new Jamie D shifter and it`s finally ready to pick up. He told me he ran into problems trying to machine down the stock pivot bolt and eventually machined a new one. Anyhow, he said the needle bearing is pressed in and there is now ZERO play

I`ll be picking it up and installing it on Friday so I'll report back shortly

cheers

Sweet, I can't wait to see how it turned out. I've considered this as an option for the shift lever but the costs would be fairly high. It's just money, you can't take it with you!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM
MotoGP

Don`t get me wrong Jamie, your piece is more than fine. However, the "crazy modder" streak in me pushed me on to greater heights (and expenses), lol
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 AM
MotoGP

BTW, will try to post pics shortly of the bike with the latest mods (then again, maybe I`ll wait for the May VTR of the Month nominations......) he he
Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Don`t get me wrong Jamie, your piece is more than fine. However, the "crazy modder" streak in me pushed me on to greater heights (and expenses), lol
Oh no, I think it's great. Depending on how it works out for you I might modify a couple myself to try out. I'm not sure if the average person would want to pay that much but it sure would be nice have to have a couple of versions just in case.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:45 AM
MotoGP

The tricky part, I was told, was machining the pivot bolt down to 12 mm to accomodate the needle bearing inner diameter. I should note that I searched around looking fo the needle bearing with the most appropriate measurements (outer race was 19 mm and inner was 12 mm I beleive, from memory).
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Squid

htwin is on a distinguished road
Hi Shayne,

I am currently only running the front Heim only (on shift arm) as I'm using the stock shift lever as I await my Jamie D unit to (finally!!!!!) return from the machinist. Between the two Heim joints and needle bearing on the pivot, there should be practically zero play and smooooth friction-free action. Will let you know once it's all together.

P.S. to Shayne: I PM'd blackvtwin on the OzFirestorm site, am looking for info on his interesting 2-1 exhaust (looks he is using a modded collector design). Hoping to hear back from his soon....
Hello Mikstr, I just realize that you are leaving in Montreal... I am from Granby. For your 2-1 exhaust did you talk to Pierre Beulac at Motosport Pierre Beulac in West brome? He is building 2-1 exhaust for the VTR.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM
MotoGP

Just finished installing a Shindy/Daytona steering damper to my VTR, making it the next-to-last mod for this year (waiting on a set of T-Rex sliders, last one for this year). Here, then, is what has changed on the VTR this year:
- swingarm is now braced (and powercoated black, along with footrest brackets)
- shock now has a remote reservoir (with high and low-speed compression damping adjustment; also using softer straight-rate spring)
- machined (lightweight) rear rotor
- billet velocity stacks
- Akrapovic full exhaust (with jetting for it and stacks)
- bar-end mirrors
- Pazzo-style levers
- HRC 1/6 turn throttle tube
- dropped gearing slightly to 15/43 (was 15/42)
- JD CNC-machined shifter, fitted with needle bearing; linkage joints replaced with Heim joints

Although not mods per se, I changed the rear tire to a BT-016 (have a BT-014 on the front) and had new bearings put in swingarm pivot and rear suspension linkage.

I have a stock of parts waiting to be installed (at rebuild time). These include:
- Hyperplate aluminum clutch plates
- Factory Pro detent arm shifting kit
- new OEM fibre plates and Barnett springs
- JE 0.5 mm OS high comp pistons (with skirt and top coatings)
- "Truck" CCTs

WE`ll see how long I can put off the rebuild (bike is running great!!! but the temptation of having an extra few HP and lb-ft is not insignificant...)

cheers
Old 07-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Just finished installing a Shindy/Daytona steering damper to my VTR, making it the next-to-last mod for this year (waiting on a set of T-Rex sliders, last one for this year). Here, then, is what has changed on the VTR this year:
- swingarm is now braced (and powercoated black, along with footrest brackets)
- shock now has a remote reservoir (with high and low-speed compression damping adjustment; also using softer straight-rate spring)
- machined (lightweight) rear rotor
- billet velocity stacks
- Akrapovic full exhaust (with jetting for it and stacks)
- bar-end mirrors
- Pazzo-style levers
- HRC 1/6 turn throttle tube
- dropped gearing slightly to 15/43 (was 15/42)
- JD CNC-machined shifter, fitted with needle bearing; linkage joints replaced with Heim joints

Although not mods per se, I changed the rear tire to a BT-016 (have a BT-014 on the front) and had new bearings put in swingarm pivot and rear suspension linkage.

I have a stock of parts waiting to be installed (at rebuild time). These include:
- Hyperplate aluminum clutch plates
- Factory Pro detent arm shifting kit
- new OEM fibre plates and Barnett springs
- JE 0.5 mm OS high comp pistons (with skirt and top coatings)
- "Truck" CCTs

WE`ll see how long I can put off the rebuild (bike is running great!!! but the temptation of having an extra few HP and lb-ft is not insignificant...)

cheers
Nice work my friend! If you need a little nudge towards getting those slugs installed I'll have a spare motor soon...I'm riding it again today, so it's in great shape for a motor with 30K miles on it and it would make a good donor for your STG 1 project so you can ride while the work is being done
Old 07-23-2009, 06:45 AM
MotoGP

Thanks Rick I have thought about going that route (getting a spare engine) but, due to a recurring phenomenon known as winter, my bike is out of commission for good part of the year anyhow, so I will have the work done then (only thing left to decide is whether it will at the end of this riding season or the next; I have already spent a fair amont for this year....) While I greatly appreciate your offer, the shipping cost on getting an engine here from Florida would be ridiculous.

cheers
Old 07-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Thanks Rick I have thought about going that route (getting a spare engine) but, due to a recurring phenomenon known as winter, my bike is out of commission for good part of the year anyhow, so I will have the work done then (only thing left to decide is whether it will at the end of this riding season or the next; I have already spent a fair amont for this year....) While I greatly appreciate your offer, the shipping cost on getting an engine here from Florida would be ridiculous.

cheers
Understood, I've been dreaming of a STG 2 motor anyway
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 AM
MotoGP

The biggest issue with anything above Stage 1 would be locating a crank capable of withstanding the higher revs.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

The biggest issue with anything above Stage 1 would be locating a crank capable of withstanding the higher revs.
Yep, it's just money...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 AM
MotoGP

money is one thing, finding one to buy is another. That could very well be your biggest challenge. If you decide to go that route, I wish you luck (please keep us posted)
Old 07-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

money is one thing, finding one to buy is another. That could very well be your biggest challenge. If you decide to go that route, I wish you luck (please keep us posted)
Will do!