General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Surgeon General's Warning - Smoking SuperChicken?!?

Old 02-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Surgeon General's Warning - Smoking SuperChicken?!?

I had a recent spill about a month ago (lowsided due to ice). A little bit of coolant spilled onto my exhaust pipes where they meet near the oil drain plug. Since then, in the mornings when I start up the SuperHawk, I get white smoke coming from that area. It goes away after about 5-10 min. I haven't noticed any problems (no stumbling, no overheating, still enough oil in the engine).

Is it possible condensation builds up in that area? Can anything be done to remedy this? I don't see any cracks in the pipes. TIA!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Back Marker

Hawknut
Re: Surgeon General's Warning - Smoking SuperChicken?!?

Were you able to determine were the coolant came from after the spill? As hot as the header pipes get it should have been cooked off by the time you got home. I suspect that something got knocked loose or the coolant tank may have cracked. Check the area before you start it. I suspect you have a small leak somewere. If it still smokes. You have a leak. Good luck. Glad your ok. Too much ice to ride in Ohio.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR
Re: Surgeon General's Warning - Smoking SuperChicken?!?

If coolant is leaking, you should be able to smell it when you sit at red lights, as I did when my left-side radiator had a small leak near a slightly loose hose clamp.

If the engine case has a slight crack and coolant is leaking from there and onto the exhaust, you might be able to resolve the issue--at least temporarily--by draining the coolant and applying to the crack "high-temperature RTV" (GE-patented silicon sealant), letting the RTV cure fully before replacing the coolant.

Even so, I would suspect radiator- and hose-related leaks before I would suspect a cracked engine case, God forbid.

cheers,
HotStreetVTR