General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

smoking problems

Old 08-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Squid

paintnflames is on a distinguished road
smoking problems

has anyone had problems with there superhawk smoking at idle?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:37 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Not mine personally but one I looked at to buy for a project did. It was a clapped out stuntbike with like over 40k HARD stunting miles on it, because after looking at it for awhile I began to recognize the bike as one I knew. What kind of mileage, riding, & maintenance history does your bike have? Must say that guy never did ANY maintenance to that bike, so it certainly says something for the durability of our bikes, because it still ran pretty good. (Now that I said that I'll probably blow a rod through my oil pan next time I go for a ride). And yes I did pass on it.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Squid

paintnflames is on a distinguished road
smoking hawk

i am not to sure of the history, except that is has around 25 thousand miles...when i first got it started and blew a little smoke at start up, but that was it...i took it for one good ride, and after a good decel down a long hill i pulled into a gas station...i shut the bike off and there was this cloud of smoke...now at a light it is better than bug spray...if i go into the motor, i will need some good advice for this is my first twin...it would also be helpful to know who has had good luck with what aftermarket engine internals...
Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, my Superhawk and I are NON Smokers...Disgusting habit anyway!
Old 08-19-2006, 06:01 AM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by paintnflames
i am not to sure of the history, except that is has around 25 thousand miles...when i first got it started and blew a little smoke at start up, but that was it...i took it for one good ride, and after a good decel down a long hill i pulled into a gas station...i shut the bike off and there was this cloud of smoke...now at a light it is better than bug spray...if i go into the motor, i will need some good advice for this is my first twin...it would also be helpful to know who has had good luck with what aftermarket engine internals...
My '01 does that occasionally. It's a track only bike with only 1200 mi. on it. You're reading it correctly only 1200 mi. It was an insurance total. It was down on both sides. When I got it the plastics and turn signals & mirrors were destroyed and some light rash on the pipes and clutch cover. Other than that the bike runs perfectly. I get the smoking after the bike sits for extended periods of time. It sat long enough once that the carbs needed a thorough cleaning to make it even start. When it does pull it's mosquito fogging fits it usually clears up if you leave it idle long enough. Sometimes that's the better part of half an hour. Then it's ok for a few sessions over a few days or weeks then without warning it will smoke you out again.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Lifttruck
My '01 does that occasionally. It's a track only bike with only 1200 mi. on it. You're reading it correctly only 1200 mi. It was an insurance total. It was down on both sides. When I got it the plastics and turn signals & mirrors were destroyed and some light rash on the pipes and clutch cover. Other than that the bike runs perfectly. I get the smoking after the bike sits for extended periods of time. It sat long enough once that the carbs needed a thorough cleaning to make it even start. When it does pull it's mosquito fogging fits it usually clears up if you leave it idle long enough. Sometimes that's the better part of half an hour. Then it's ok for a few sessions over a few days or weeks then without warning it will smoke you out again.
Smoking is normally caused by leaking ring seal or valve guide / seal wear. As your smoking goes away once warmed up.. That points to rings, may just be sticking, may be the piston to cylinder seal.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
Smoking is normally caused by leaking ring seal or valve guide / seal wear. As your smoking goes away once warmed up.. That points to rings, may just be sticking, may be the piston to cylinder seal.
It only does it occasionally, and cyl. leakdown tests indicate everything is sound. I did the leakdown tests after a smoking session while the engine was still warm and then again after a couple days before it was started and warmed up. I can see how the leakdown would indicate no problems after a thorough warm up and the engine quit smoking but one would think it would show the problem if it is a ring when cold.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

It only does it occasionally, and cyl. leakdown tests indicate everything is sound. I did the leakdown tests after a smoking session while the engine was still warm and then again after a couple days before it was started and warmed up. I can see how the leakdown would indicate no problems after a thorough warm up and the engine quit smoking but one would think it would show the problem if it is a ring when cold.
Your right it should.. Oil is getting into the cylinder somehow, and if oil gets in, compression is leaking out. A leak down should show a difference between smoking (leaking) and non smoking. Weird. If it was just some smoke after sitting for a while.. I'd say valve seals are leaking,, allowing oil to drain down into the combustion chamber... and that is still a possibility.. It's just.... normally from what I've seen, they do not "seal up" when warm, but continue to leak....so you should have some smoking all the time.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Back Marker

Your right it should.. Oil is getting into the cylinder somehow, and if oil gets in, compression is leaking out. A leak down should show a difference between smoking (leaking) and non smoking. Weird. If it was just some smoke after sitting for a while.. I'd say valve seals are leaking,, allowing oil to drain down into the combustion chamber... and that is still a possibility.. It's just.... normally from what I've seen, they do not "seal up" when warm, but continue to leak....so you should have some smoking all the time.
Yeah it's got me puzzled also. Sometimes it will start to smoke after it's warmed up. But if you leave it idle for a while it clears up. I haven't changed the air filter since I got the bike but I've only put a couple hundred track miles on it. I have had the filter out and the airbox off to clean the carbs. The airbox filter did have oil in it, I'm assuming from when the bike was down before I got it. I washed the filter but haven't replaced it. I'm now wondering if the filter may be contaminated enough to cause a restriction. Enough of a restriction to pull oil around the rings. It hasn't done it on the track yet and just started these fits in the last few months. I try not to let the bike sit for more than a couple weeks without at least starting it and warming it up. I keep god fuel in the bike too. Stabilizer added.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Yeah it's got me puzzled also. Sometimes it will start to smoke after it's warmed up. But if you leave it idle for a while it clears up. I haven't changed the air filter since I got the bike but I've only put a couple hundred track miles on it. I have had the filter out and the airbox off to clean the carbs. The airbox filter did have oil in it, I'm assuming from when the bike was down before I got it. I washed the filter but haven't replaced it. I'm now wondering if the filter may be contaminated enough to cause a restriction. Enough of a restriction to pull oil around the rings. It hasn't done it on the track yet and just started these fits in the last few months. I try not to let the bike sit for more than a couple weeks without at least starting it and warming it up. I keep god fuel in the bike too. Stabilizer added.
hmmm, ok,, another thing I've seen, is a plugged breather hose, box, port. When that happens crank case vacuum can draw oil into the combustion chamber past an otherwise good seal. Check the head breather ports, hoses, ect ect
Old 08-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Back Marker

hmmm, ok,, another thing I've seen, is a plugged breather hose, box, port. When that happens crank case vacuum can draw oil into the combustion chamber past an otherwise good seal. Check the head breather ports, hoses, ect ect
Thanks! I've got a track day coming up and have a set of race take offs to mount and balance. So whle I'm prepping the bike I'll definately take a look.