General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

A General "Thanks!"

Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Squid

Stuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up A General "Thanks!"

I just wanted to give a general thanks to everyone who posts info here. I'm somewhat mechanically deficient and I always pull tidbits of information that really help me keep the beast running.
Recently, someone who will remain nameless fired up the bike (a 1999) after it had been sitting for some time. It sputtered a bit, then after the smell of varnish cleared away, it just died and wouldn't do anything.

At this point it wouldn't even sputter. I used a lot of the tricks on here (Sea Foam) and eventually attempted the Yamalube carb cleaning trick. I wanted to try everything before removing the carbs. Keep in mind that just getting the tank off (with the forum's help) was a major feat for me, so not dealing with the carbs was my goal.

I drained the carbs, made a huge mess pouring in the carb cleaner and let it sit for a few days, shaking it whenever I could. I drained the cleaner from the carbs, reassembled the tank (taking care not be a PVLIR victim) and holy **** it fired right up. It still pops a little and seems a bit sluggish at low rpms, but this took it from nothing to ride-able! I'll get it legal and take it for a longer test ride later this week. I'll most likely get a more skilled individual to properly clean the carbs if everything doesn't clear up after a few tanks are run through it.

So, you know, thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Ahhh Stuper. You did it all wrong ! You should of first told us of your problem, then asked a bunch of already previously answered a 100 times questions.
Then, we would of watched the Tweety bird snap, snarl and bite your head off for our personal enjoyment, then, you use the search engine and read up on all the neat threads. But you decided to read up first, then tell us you fixed your problem. Where's the fun in that ?

Sarcasm asside, welcome to the forum, and, glade it's been helpful so far.

Last edited by Jack Flash; 11-05-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Ahhh Stuper. You did it all wrong ! You should of first told us of your problem, then asked a bunch of already previously answered a 100 times questions.
Then, we would of watched the Tweety bird snap, snarl and bite your head off for our personal enjoyment, then, you use the search engine and read up on all the neat threads.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
If this un-named person wanted to go a huge step better, they would drain that awful sludgy fuel out of the tank and use fresh premium. That stuff does not improve with age.

I am the number one person on here who know that draining the tank and using fresh stuff can save you a solid week of work. (and engine swapping)
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
If this un-named person wanted to go a huge step better, they would drain that awful sludgy fuel out of the tank and use fresh premium. That stuff does not improve with age.

I am the number one person on here who know that draining the tank and using fresh stuff can save you a solid week of work. (and engine swapping)
Thanks, but not to worry, I ....I mean he, did immediately drain the tanks. Kind of a pain actually. I only have one gas can and no safe way to dispose of several gallons of gas. I still have it and will probably try it in my mower (it smells okay). Stay tuned for my next post on the lawn mower repair forum!

I am running some Sea Foam mixed in with premium gas. If I still get some sputtering, would it be beneficial to soak the carbs again? Now that I have the process down, it wouldn't be much work and I reeeeeally don't want to have to pull them.

Thanks again!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 AM
MotoGP

Here is the problem. The rubber diaphagms on you carbs are going to decay if you subject them to carb cleaner or soak them. Once that happens, it gets ugly.

You really want to carefully go the next step and disassemle the cabs to clean the jet holes physicly with something. The jets an orafices can be soaked. There is a step-by somewhere on this forum.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
You really want to carefully go the next step and disassemle the cabs to clean the jet holes physicly with something. The jets an orafices can be soaked. There is a step-by somewhere on this forum.
If you knew where that step-by-step was, it would be really helpful.
I'm at that stage right now with the carbs in tiny pieces all over my workbench, and I think I have all the carb orifices clean, but I'm not totally sure.

And I don't want to have to re-disassemble the carbs again later. V-engine carbs give me the heebie-jeebies.
Or maybe it's just Honda and their "why use 2 rubber hoses when you can use 10" engineering.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:43 PM
MotoGP

Really, the removal is harder than the disassembly. (mostly). The thing is never do both together or you will have too many pieces take off the bowl, clean it, then replace, etc.

Getting the crazy springs back in is fiddly, but you use a pen to guide them back in.

Someone smarter than me will find you the step by step thing. Maybe 7moor or Marquez, they can find anything.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
There's a good strip down on the vtr1000.org site:

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Carb Strip Jetting Pictures

It's purely the carbs and not intallation into the frame, but it has a lot of good pics to get you started...
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Squid

Here is the problem. The rubber diaphagms on you carbs are going to decay if you subject them to carb cleaner or soak them. Once that happens, it gets ugly.

Cool. That's good to know. I'll probably just spend the dough and get someone to clean them. A man's gotta know his limitations and I'm secure enough in my masculinity to let someone else handle my carbs.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:11 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stuperhawk
Cool. That's good to know. I'll probably just spend the dough and get someone to clean them. A man's gotta know his limitations and I'm secure enough in my masculinity to let someone else handle my carbs.
Where do you live? Not specifically, in a "watch you while you sleep" kind of way, but in general...
Old 11-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
You know, more of a "keep an eye on you around town" kind of thing.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Where do you live? Not specifically, in a "watch you while you sleep" kind of way, but in general...
Eastern Tennessee. Dragon country.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stuperhawk
Eastern Tennessee. Dragon country.
That's where I live stuper
Old 11-09-2013, 05:20 AM
Squid

This is from when it was running better! I'm going to road test it once it warms up a little.

Name:  WiijTvj.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  33.1 KB
Old 11-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Hey Stuper, welcome to the forum. I'm up in the hills of East Kentucky. I've had two of these bikes and they are, IMHO, great to ride and enjoy. Everything I learned about the Superhawk has come from this site and the people on it. There is no issue that can't be solved by searching, "re-searching", or by presenting the issue and asking for help. This site is truly a testament to people pulling together to achieve a common goal.

I want to thank everyone, too, for your input...no matter how minimal it might appear.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
There's a good strip down on the vtr1000.org site:
There's also a very good one over here.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ictures-28835/

(:-})