Superhawk future value - SuperHawk Forum

General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
Like Tree20Likes
  • 2 Post By finepooch
  • 2 Post By finepooch
  • 1 Post By xeris
  • 2 Post By Butts
  • 5 Post By CaryDG
  • 2 Post By finepooch
  • 3 Post By finepooch
  • 1 Post By finepooch
  • 1 Post By xeris
  • 1 Post By VTR1000F

Superhawk future value

Old 12-14-2018, 02:13 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
turbotimm is on a distinguished road
Superhawk future value

Even though our bikes seem to be sort of rare these days, the value hasn't seemed to increase. I don't get it. Usually bikes that are harder to find go up in value. I'd like to hear thoughts/opinions about the expected future value of these bikes. Will it ever be in the same category as an old kz1000, triple cylinder kawi or rd350/400? The reason I ask is I've considered selling mine but don't want to be the guy that regrets it 20 years later when the value goes through the roof. I know this is kind of a loaded question and nobody has a crystal ball, but in my opinion these bikes will eventually go up in value significantly and those who held on to them over the years will be sitting on a golden goose. My other vehicles have become pretty rare over the years and my gut feeling is if I sold the Superhawk for $1800 now, I will surely regret it down the road. The forum has been kind of dead lately, so I figured I'd try to stir things up.
turbotimm is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 06:53 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,439
xeris is on a distinguished road
If you hang on to something long enough it will be worth some amount to someone, just due to it's rarity. This is a no brainer. Also this assumes that the item in question is in original and good to excellent condition. That means not using said item and there is a place to store it.
In the case of the SH, new parts are becoming increasingly unavailable. In the future there won't be much. This is important because the bike has to be pristine. So it just sits somewhere slowly dissolving into time. With no history, a somewhat ordinary bike, no one famous having owned one, not a prestigious race winner the chances of appreciating in value are, I think, zero.
There is a moto shop in that I go to occasionally where the owner has been collecting interesting bikes for 40 years or so. He has a SH as part of his collection. Like the rest of the collection the SH is as new. This is the rare person that would be interested in a bike like the SH. The person that is a high end collector isn't going to give a bike like the SH even a nano second of thought.
If you have a place to park it that is climate controlled, enjoy looking at, having your friends enjoy looking at it, then maybe.
As always, if it makes you happy then that is all that counts.

Last edited by xeris; 12-14-2018 at 06:55 PM.
xeris is offline  
Old 12-15-2018, 02:40 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
finepooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: moncton nb canada
Posts: 1,256
finepooch is on a distinguished road
here is my economics degree coming in handy again, lol.

price is determined by supply and demand. you are referring to the supply side tightening which would drive prices up. but the other side of the coin is the fact that demand is not increasing and maybe decreasing, driving price down. the demand side is outweighing the supply side so prices are low, example being the $1800 you mentioned. this could change but it is not very likely to.

the superhawk's demand is reduced because collector types desire the rc51. desire for the pinnacle design of a certain model range or era will drive pricing down for "B class" bikes like the superhawk. another motorcycle example would be the ducati monster. the 07 and 08 s4rs models are the ones collectors look for. they might scour kijiji and craigslist for years looking for a s4rs, and they never once check for an s4r, a s2r, etc...
Wicky and NHSH like this.

Last edited by finepooch; 12-16-2018 at 07:41 PM.
finepooch is offline  
Old 12-15-2018, 02:43 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
finepooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: moncton nb canada
Posts: 1,256
finepooch is on a distinguished road
I should add that I have personally taken advantage of the superhawk's low values and bought a second one. I will always enjoy the vtr and admire it. it is a seriously under rated motorcycle.
Wicky and NHSH like this.
finepooch is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 04:00 PM
  #5  
Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 40
YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Maybe a tad off base, but...I used to flip Corvettes. I saw a '58 sitting in a parking lot in town every time I passed the business. One snowy January day about 1978, I ventured into the place and asked if anyone knew about the car. It was the owner's vehicle. Said it had 100,000 plus miles on it and he drove it every day! He then told me something that I have lived by since...Let some other fool keep their Corvette in pristine condition hoping to make money off of it, I'll enjoy mine and lose some money, but have the enjoyment of driving it!

So, if you're not enjoying it, sell it...On the other hand I sold a '70 Hemi Cuda in very good condition the same year for $10,000...damn.
YMRacing is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 01:47 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
sonik_fury is on a distinguished road
Sadly, demand for motorcycles in general is down. Most of the industry is losing money. Even when watching the big auctions I'm surprised by how little some of the bikes go for.......except that CBX that was still in the crate....went for $28k.
sonik_fury is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 04:50 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
finepooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: moncton nb canada
Posts: 1,256
finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sonik_fury View Post
Sadly, demand for motorcycles in general is down. Most of the industry is losing money. Even when watching the big auctions I'm surprised by how little some of the bikes go for.......except that CBX that was still in the crate....went for $28k.
yes, I have noticed the motorcycle industry seems to be hurting. I see less sportbikes in my area, lots of heavily discounted left over bikes on showroom floors, less inventory on floors, Harley downsizing, etc... it makes me wonder if innovation may slow down, choices in the market place will shrink, etc... hopefully it will rebound.
finepooch is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:19 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,439
xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch View Post
hopefully it will rebound.
Nope. Everything has changed and will continue to change to the detriment of the industry as a whole in this country.

xeris is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 AM
  #9  
Permanent Student
Squid
 
2.5i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 53
2.5i is on a distinguished road
I remembered seeing this pop up -

https://raresportbikesforsale.com/su...vtr1000f-sale/

but... it sold for $3400.
2.5i is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,439
xeris is on a distinguished road
That was fair price for a like new bike and pretty much the upper limit for one. Which says a lot about where the future value will be. I don't see the future selling price, for a bike like that, to increase much at all. Not enough people interested in the SH. As stated earlier, demand is not there.
2.5i likes this.
xeris is offline  
Old 12-19-2018, 02:19 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 23
Butts is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch View Post
here is my economics degree coming in handy again, lol.

price is determined by supply and demand. you are referring to the supply side tightening which would drive prices up. but the other side of the coin is the fact that demand is not increasing and maybe decreasing, driving price down. the demand side is outweighing the supply side so prices are low, example being the $1800 you mentioned. this could change but it is not very likely to.

the superhawk's demand is reduced because collector types desire the rc51. desire for the pinnacle design of a certain model range or era will drive pricing down for "B class" bikes like the superhawk. another motorcycle example would be the ducati monster. the 07 and 08 s4rs models are the ones collectors look for. they might scour kijiji and craigslist for years looking for a s4rs, and they never once check for an s4r, a s2r, etc...
Finepooch, interesting summation around collectibles.
Funny thing each can be very different for certain markets.
Take for example the 2 mentioned, RC51 and S4RS.
Here in Australia, I consider the prices to be reasonable, always wanted an SP1 as soon as the came out by the way.
Prices vary, depending on condition, but these examples are in good to excellent condition.
RC51 SP1 20-30,000 klms (12-18,000 mls) goes for around $7-8,000 ($5-5,700 US)
RC51 SP2 10-20,000 klms (6-12,000 mls) goes for around $15-16,000 ($10,700-11,400 US).
S4RS 2008 Tri-colour 5-10,000 klms (3-6,000 mls) goes for around $16,000 ($11,400 US)

Not sure if this is what you expect to pay in the US?

For me I love that the VTR is cheap, otherwise I wouldn't have either been back on a bike as well as experience what a great fun bike they are.
The VTR is to be ridden, and only those that have ridden one know the feeling. :-)

Aquasnake and 2.5i like this.
Butts is offline  
Old 12-19-2018, 11:24 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
CaryDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 246
CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Increased Value. I bought a low mileage Fire Storm (Canadian Super Hawk) 6 years ago and after 48k+ miles and after a myriad of personal mods i.e.; just about everything from brakes to the suspension has been modified to fit my riding style and use. Will it increase in resale value? Probably not. If I sold it, would I ever recoup anywhere near what I've spent over the years, just in parts alone? Definitely not!
But, it is extremely valuable, to me. I've had more bikes than I can count in my 55 years of riding and this is by far one of my most treasured. Is it the best, fastest, etc.? No,it just works for me. It's like a favorite shirt. It may be old, but it just feels right.. So therefore, in conclusion, the value has increased. Maybe not the resale but, it is invaluable to me. It's all perspective.
Enough of my babbling, It's 70deg. here in So Cal so I'm going riding. HAPPY HOLIDAYS
CaryDG is offline  
Old 12-19-2018, 07:45 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
finepooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: moncton nb canada
Posts: 1,256
finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
Finepooch, interesting summation around collectibles.
Funny thing each can be very different for certain markets.
Take for example the 2 mentioned, RC51 and S4RS.
Here in Australia, I consider the prices to be reasonable, always wanted an SP1 as soon as the came out by the way.
Prices vary, depending on condition, but these examples are in good to excellent condition.
RC51 SP1 20-30,000 klms (12-18,000 mls) goes for around $7-8,000 ($5-5,700 US)
RC51 SP2 10-20,000 klms (6-12,000 mls) goes for around $15-16,000 ($10,700-11,400 US).
S4RS 2008 Tri-colour 5-10,000 klms (3-6,000 mls) goes for around $16,000 ($11,400 US)

Not sure if this is what you expect to pay in the US?

For me I love that the VTR is cheap, otherwise I wouldn't have either been back on a bike as well as experience what a great fun bike they are.
The VTR is to be ridden, and only those that have ridden one know the feeling. :-)
I really don't know much, or anything about collecting bikes, though I do currently have eight, and have had 30 in my 23 years of riding.
nobody wants a vtr, they want the rc51. nobody wants the monster 695 or 821(whatever it is, current generation), they want the s4rs. motorcycles are mostly a passion purchase, and we want the ones that we are most passionate about, the top shelf model.
but of my 30 bikes, and the current eight I own, the vtr is perhaps the finest one to ride. I've had zx11, rc51, gsxr1k, 1098, 750ss, ktm500(dirt is a different deal again), etc.... and the vtr is so good I have had it the longest, and I have two. It is worth more to me that it is on the open market, so I won't let them go.
Aquasnake and Butts like this.
finepooch is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 08:24 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 23
Butts is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch View Post
I really don't know much, or anything about collecting bikes, though I do currently have eight, and have had 30 in my 23 years of riding.
nobody wants a vtr, they want the rc51. nobody wants the monster 695 or 821(whatever it is, current generation), they want the s4rs. motorcycles are mostly a passion purchase, and we want the ones that we are most passionate about, the top shelf model.
but of my 30 bikes, and the current eight I own, the vtr is perhaps the finest one to ride. I've had zx11, rc51, gsxr1k, 1098, 750ss, ktm500(dirt is a different deal again), etc.... and the vtr is so good I have had it the longest, and I have two. It is worth more to me that it is on the open market, so I won't let them go.
Finepooch, well you have certainly had your plethora of bikes!! Interesting that you have had an RC51, and still hold the VTR in high esteem. I'd love your insight into why? I'm really interested.
My feelings towards the RC51 are purely passion driven obviously, wondering if they should be dashed before I get too serious next year about getting one.
I've had an RZ500, GSXR1100 '87 and now the VTR. All were long term bikes, and never owned 2 (excluding dirt bikes) at any one time.
For me, a bike is there to be used and enjoyed. Not stuck in the corner hoping/wishing/pleading for it to appreciate.
Having extra money later in life, don't get me wrong is beneficial however being able to experience what life has to offer now whilst you can, is far more important.
Butts is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 08:35 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
finepooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: moncton nb canada
Posts: 1,256
finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
Finepooch, well you have certainly had your plethora of bikes!! Interesting that you have had an RC51, and still hold the VTR in high esteem. I'd love your insight into why? I'm really interested.
My feelings towards the RC51 are purely passion driven obviously, wondering if they should be dashed before I get too serious next year about getting one.
I've had an RZ500, GSXR1100 '87 and now the VTR. All were long term bikes, and never owned 2 (excluding dirt bikes) at any one time.
For me, a bike is there to be used and enjoyed. Not stuck in the corner hoping/wishing/pleading for it to appreciate.
Having extra money later in life, don't get me wrong is beneficial however being able to experience what life has to offer now whilst you can, is far more important.
the rc51 is an amazing bike and definitely a classic that will be in future coffee table books. I highly recommend buying one. my old riding buddy always said "ya gotta get the bike that turns your crank".
I had the rc51 and vtr at the same time. I desperately wanted a 1098 and bought one. at the time one of the Hondas was going to go so I figured the rc51 was somewhat similar to the 1098 so it was sold off. I wish I still had that rc51 and I should have kept it and the vtr. ten years on and I still have the 1098 and vtr but the vtr gets the most use. it is a friendlier bike, comfier bike, has good enough performance for this old faddy, it is just a well rounded and easy to get along with bike.
as for having more than one bike, yeah, the 1098 not getting used for three years is a shame. I rode it many years and it has 34000kms. it is under cover too so I don't even see it but a few times a year when I fire it up. I may put it on display inside my home at some point, and really it is so sexy that doing so is completely reasonable, why my wife disagrees is beyond my comprehension, she is normally a sane and level headed person, lol. I also keep the 1098 because I have an emotional connection to it, and it will eventually be handed down to my son. he has been instructed that he is never to let it go either.
speaking of my son, he will be riding the 750ss when he turns 16. my first vtr is my daily rider, the second vtr is a good bike but it was bought so cheap that I could not leave it where it was. 1965 honda sport 50... well, what a cool rig that thing is. I hope to get the thing running some day, but it too will likely go on display. the dirt bikes get ridden hard and put away wet. scooter will be sold off when my son is done with it. they all have their place and they are all appreciated. often I slow down as I walk by the bikes and just admire them. sometimes I sit down with them and just look at them. it is a long winter up here in Canada, lol
tonight I looked at a honda cbr1100xx blackbird. it is a nice example, low kms, good condition, but I left it there, for now. I am not sure if I would ride it.
family pics, 2018.

Wolverine, Badboy01 and Butts like this.
finepooch is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 05:12 PM
  #16  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gettysburg, Pa
Posts: 4,382
Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Damn it y'all. Look at that stable. We're all feeling inadequate!

I don't see them increasing in value anytime soon. There's just too many bikes in the market. Not everyone has an eye for these old birds.
Wolverine is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:00 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
finepooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: moncton nb canada
Posts: 1,256
finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
Damn it y'all. Look at that stable. We're all feeling inadequate!
I did not mean to make anyone feel inadequate, hahaha

btw, I just sold my son's crf150r, so now down to 8 bikes. don't feel bad for me though as I am on the hunt for a first generation ducati monster. lol
Wolverine likes this.
finepooch is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
turbotimm is on a distinguished road
Glad to generate some discussion. So, what do you think I could get for mine? 45,000 miles, unmolested, all stock
turbotimm is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:20 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
xeris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bisbee, AZ
Posts: 1,439
xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by turbotimm View Post
Glad to generate some discussion. So, what do you think I could get for mine? 45,000 miles, unmolested, all stock
I'm going to beat the forum wise guys (yeah you VTR1000F) to the obvious. I think you should sell it for $500 to me.
Aquasnake likes this.
xeris is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 PM
  #20  
Thread Killer
SuperBike
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Geneseo, IL
Posts: 1,583
VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I bid $501.
xeris likes this.
VTR1000F is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 06:20 AM
  #21  
Member
Squid
 
Bald Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Quincy Mass
Posts: 87
Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road
I raise you.....$550.00...Yes..?
Bald Eagle is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
yruyur
Everything Else
6
09-04-2009 11:37 AM
Little_Horse
Everything Else
4
02-13-2009 05:09 PM
bluevtr
General Discussion
3
08-02-2007 08:48 AM
NOrrTH
General Discussion
19
05-16-2007 04:17 PM
Loco
General Discussion
2
02-19-2006 06:41 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Superhawk future value


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.