General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Need some advise on buying a Superhawk

Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Squid

sparker245 is on a distinguished road
Need some advise on buying a Superhawk

Ok, a brand new member here. Definitely not a Superhawk expert, but I have done a fair amount of research in the past few days. My cousin has a red '98 Superhawk with 3,500 miles that is all stock and absolutely pristine. He does have a few extras like soft touring bags, tank bag, and some odds and ends, but nothing actually mounted on the bike. He's the original owner and basically just rides it on occasional weekends at a slow sight-seeing pace. I've admired the bike for years and always wanted to own it. So, he called me up the other day and asked me if I wanted to buy it for $4000. I know that's high for a '98 but considering that the bike is about as close to new as it could be I'm thinking about it.

The rub is that I sat on (didn't ride) a 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 and can't stop thinking about that bike. Beautiful orange tank, naked, upright seating position, and from everything I've read a motor of all motors. The thing is low and feels like a dirt bike, which is appealing. The FZ is about ten grand OTD in Northern California. I guess my questions are: 1. Even though the Superhawk has been stored in a California garage, and ridden several times per month, are fifteen year old tires safe? Logic would tell me that they need to be replaced. 2. I'm basically a motocross guy, but I have had a relatively new Sportster, 2000 CBR1000, KLR650 and DL1000 VStrom, so I'm a little worried about the riding position of the Superhawk. I'm concerned that I may need bar risers, longer cables etc, which would add to the overall price. I could pay cash for the Superhawk but not the Yamaha, and the Superhawk is obviously less than half the price of the Yamaha. Maybe I'd be better off putting money away for a few months and buying the Yamaha toward the end of the year. I don't have to have a street bike, it would be just for fun. Anyway I could ramble on and on. I'm going to look at the Superhawk closely and ride it on Saturday. Any thoughts?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road
The fact that you posted this suggests you have doubts.
To me the Yamaha is a winner even at the extra money.
The SH will cost you more than tyres. Think of all the rubbers that will be past their best. Fork seals etc. The bike sounds as if its been seriously under used and thats as big a drama to me as one thats been flogged to within an inch of its life.

Now if you're like me and wanted a SH (Firestorm) as a second "weekend" bike thats probably ok. But mine is off the road at the moment waiting on 2 exhaust seals that were ordered 10 yays ago! Simple things are hard to get for older bikes and I'd be pissed if it was my only set of 2 wheels.

I recommend you also check out a GSF1250S as I reckon mine will still be a better bike than the Firestorm.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Hi there, I too have a friend who trying to buy a FZ-09 here in California but all the dealers what to rape him! $10,000 have you looked on cycletrader and see what they are selling for O.T.D in other states! some places are only asking $7500 O.T.D I would hold off buying a FZ-09 right now, your lose too much money. Sounds to me like the bike you are looking for is an Aprilia Tuono! comes already installed with dirt bike bars. Don't get me wrong I love Superhawks, buy $4000 is a little rich for a 98. Maybe $3000 tops, even with the low mileage. best of luck on your decision.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sparker245
The rub is that I sat on (didn't ride) a 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 and can't stop thinking about that bike. Beautiful orange tank, naked, upright seating position, and from everything I've read a motor of all motors.
You'll probably keep thinking about that if you get a 'hawk as well.

Like has been said, you'll definitely need more than tires on a 15 year old bike. The superhawk has tons of character and is a bike all of it's own (speaking of motor of all motors) but bikes are a personal thing and if you get one out of convenience you may always second guess the decision. I absolutely love the hawk and will never get rid of it as I am much more emotionally invested than I will be able to sell it for. It's somewhat of a tinkerers bike in that people make it all sorts of things, but you have to like to make mods if that's the case.

It would really depend on your financial situation IMO. I would never advise someone to invest in a luxury/recreational item if you can't afford it. This isn't a house and will depreciate quickly... not really about the bike but that's my thought on things
Old 01-09-2014, 08:35 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
well im not an expert, but i know i paid $2700 for my SHawk. its a great bike and i love it. and YES replace the tires. after about 5 years they are done. i rode the FZ-09 which is SWEET. i contemplated getting one before i figured out it was 10K OTD. but a totally different beast then the superhawk. but like its already been said when things arnt used that much and probably havnt been replaced considering its hardly been used, alot of seals and hoses probably need to be replaced. like 7 said its a fun bike to mod if your into wrenching, plus a brand new bike is never a good buy IMHO. but i must say i LOVE my hawk. its got so much character. its not the run of the mill everyone and their brother has it one type bike. its unique and although it didnt cost me 15 grand, i get a ton of compliments on it, i keep up with the R1's and the Gixxers, and most importantly i have a blast on it! if you can get the price down to like 3 grand its deffinatley worth it IMO
Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Squid

Definitely some good points that I didn't think of at all. I think I'm gonna go into the test ride with an open mind and see what happens. My cousin isn't in any rush to sell, so I can ride the bike (cautiously due to tires), examine it closely and mull it over. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 PM
MotoGP

You may be in for a pleasant surprise once you hop on... most of us are pretty biased here but this bike is one of Honda's better secrets

On the other hand, you can use some of the age to maybe convince your cousin that it's not worth 4K:

With these bikes the CCT's are a wear item and should be replaced (probably with manual ones). This is all very well documented on the forum. The R/R is also old and likely to fail. Both are $100 preventative fixes, but should be done to any Superhawk, regardless of mileage. Neither of these were that great on this bike to begin with and aging doesn't help them. Lucky you don't have to do anything major to the bike in terms of motor/transmission/ etc that other bikes are plagued with.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:10 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
Don't forget about your insurance cost. Will be worth getting a quote on both bikes from your insurance company. Personally I'd go with the super hawk,not at 4 grand . Tell him you need the family price.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 AM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
1998 Hawk is a $2000 bike, no matter what condition it's in. Tell him no thanks and watch him try to sell it for the next 6 months. You get it for $2K and then you will have to spend upwards of $500-$1000 doing improvements and maintenance on it, depending on how much you work on it yourself. Then you have a $3000 bike that you won't get $3000 for when you decide to sell it. There's a reason he's "offering" it to you for $4000, he knows what it's really worth, half that.

Last edited by bmidd; 01-10-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 AM
MotoGP

Depends on the area. Around here that bike would easily be priced in the mid 3's, probably looking for 3k offer at minimum. At least from what I've seen. Browsing through the "what did you pay for your superhawk" thread is a downer for me because the prices some of those folks got are nothing like what I've seen in the Phoenix area.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Depends on the area. Around here that bike would easily be priced in the mid 3's, probably looking for 3k offer at minimum. At least from what I've seen. Browsing through the "what did you pay for your superhawk" thread is a downer for me because the prices some of those folks got are nothing like what I've seen in the Phoenix area.
+1. I saw an '05 with 12 000km sell for about 6000$ about 1 1/2 ago
It was for sale for some time, but eventually sold. A bike is worth what some is willing to pay. The area you live in is also a large factor that determines what price you sell/pay for an object like this. In my area, there is a sort of 'normalty' if I may say, to pay such a high price, which I will not get into détails of right now to clarify why.

Since this is our reality up here, at 4000$ for a Hawk with 3500miles on it, would be something I would consider, or look into seriously.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Why not, have him go to KellyBlueBook and look up the price. It may be a wake up call for him. Below is listed retail a dealer would ask. Add a couple of hundred dollars for the low milage. Big question? are the tags current! Expired tags fee can mount up real quick.

Your Motorcycle Value
1998 Honda VTR1000F Super Hawk

Trade-In Value Suggested Retail Value
Excellent Condition $2,190
when purchasing from a dealer
Old 01-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
True on the location. Did he post where he lived? I paid $1800 for mine, have installed new Q2's($200), R6 R/R($40), D&D slip ons ($240). I will change the fork internals for Race-Tech springs($115) and Gold Valve Kit 1 ($170) , various fluids and seals already purchased($75). New steering stem bearings($35) all new wheel bearings($35) Kreiger MCCT($69). And depending on what rear shock I go with($400-$800).
That's $2779 for what I consider the ESSENTIALS, before I address the rear shock. My last bike was the only one I have ever owned where I came close to breaking even after riding it for 6 months. Bought it for less than $1000, dropped $600 in the front end (it already had an R6 rear shock) and $400 for 2 sets of tires. Sold it for $1800, and it took 6 weeks to do it.
This is a bad addiction to have.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
You should ride them both, then stare at both of them for an hour or so, then ride each one again.

My philosophy is this: Every time you open the garage the bike should make you smile... When it doesn't make you smile anymore, then get rid of it.

My Superhawk makes me smile when I look at it, but I was riding a lot on the mid 90s-2005, so it is a familiar style... It really makes me smile when I start it up and rev it (Erion Racing cans!).... So it's the bike for me.... (It was free, and that certainly doesn't hurt

James
Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Squid

Thumbs up

Some wise fellas on this forum, thanks. Decided to just save for the Yamaha FZ-09. Think you're right that my cousin's Superhawk was a bit over priced, and for whatever illogical reason I really want the Yami. Figured it would be more practical to just sell two dirt bikes that I don't ride, put some money away monthly, and hopefully get the Yami in August or so. I really like the wisdom here.....Ride what you love and love what ya ride. And when you open up the garage it should make you smile....or something like that. Oh, and in all the research I've done over the last few days led me to the conclusion that you should be proud of your Superhawks. Great bikes. Thanks. And one final thing, guess I'll just have to keep riding my only street legal bike, the mighty XT225. It's pretty much just an older version of the FZ-09....ha ha
Old 01-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Yamaha had a 750 triple in the 70's that was a nice sport-tourer. It was overshadowed by Suzuki's 750 four when that bike was introduced. The FZ is a nice bike and should be a lot of fun to ride. It has similar quirks to the Superhawk- small tank and so-so suspension, but that triple engine should give it more personality than your standard four cylinder bike. If you buy either one, you can always upgrade the suspension later.
Here in the NW, VTRs sell for a premium. I see a lot going for $3-4K. I feel lucky to have found a pristine 98 for $2900.