General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I'm Cheap. or Discovering your Bike.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
I'm Cheap. or Discovering your Bike.

due to parting the hawk and buying a new bike i have not been around here as much as i would like. it has turned out, though, that this has been a long trip through some unfamiliar waters and i thought this was the best place for the story.

this storry starts what about 1.5 to 2 years ago now? i was having some trouble with the hawk and was a bit tired of working on it. it wasn't in the best condition when i got it and had spent more then the wife acceptance factor had aloud in getting most of the leaks and squaks and quirks worked out.

i guess this is a good time to make my first point of interest. through out my life i have owned several motorcycles, none of them new. most of them not running when i got them or running but missing major components. also i have never had a payment for any of these acquirements. they have been trades or small sums of cash that i happily handed over, etc. anyways back to the story.

so i get the genius idea of parting the hawk, using the funds to pay off my credit card. then buying a new motorcycle. as in brand new, my selling point here is that it should be maintenance free, have a warranty, and be free of issues for years to come. this was like right out of a movie where you see person start their spiel just knowing the other side is going to shoot them down, they are halfway through their defense speech when they realize said other party actyually said 'yes'. then there is the moment of 'wait....what did you say' and after the shock clears you move on to the next step of finding 'the perfect bike' or failure, stage 1. (anyone else here use to watch rocky and bullwinkle???)

we quickly come up with a budget that shocked even me and i start parting the hawk. along the way i find the problem with the hawk is different then i originally thought but still the issue is there. so continuing along i spend like 4+ months researching bikes, talking to salesperson after salesperson. working deals and doing some prehaggleing. i come to 2 options, aprilia factory tuono and benelli sport evo tnt. both top spec in their range, both now in the same price range.

small injection here, im about 99% sure i would be sitting here in the same boat no matter which one of these to awesome bikes i had picked. so i by no means and blaming any of my problems on the bike or manufacturer. both of these bikes are modern marvels of art and engineering.

so i sign up for the benelli, contact the dealer and start the process. that was more pain and suffering then any one person should go through anyways. now i use to work at a used car lot, i know that they are not going to win any humanity of the year awards but still, at least attempt to make it look like you are working with them. anyways another couple months down the tubes and i have my bike.

about a week later i have a title and keys, then tags and insurance. (try and insure either a benelli or an aprilia when you live in a farm town) and the bike wont start. idle **** is screwed all the way in. whatever, stuff happens, continuing on.

im in love with the bike, and after a couple of rides the wife likes it very much. much more comfortable then the hawk. performance is better in all areas. all is well.

i actually work about 2 blocks from my house, on nice days it is faster to walk to work then get the bike out and ride it there. but ive noticed that even on the rare chance that i am just going to the bank or something i still dont take the bike. i FEAR leaving it in a parking lot for more then 30 seconds unatended. i dont even let my own kids near the thing. o.k. well im just going to use it for spare time trips around the county where my point of departure and destination are one in the same... to make a long part short. in the year i have had it i have put less then 100 miles on the bike.

this is not how having a motorcycle should be. they are suppose to be FUN. something you can jump on and take the wife out to dinner on. and while everyone worrys about someone knocking their bike over, it should not be so bad that it ruins your evening. like that guy who has his dream car, saves for 10 years to make a downpayment on one, gets it and then it sits in the garage under a car cover until he passes away. its totally a waste and should have stayed a dream.

so at some point i will have a regular bike, one i found a good deal on that has been wrcked or not taken care of. i dont mind having to put some elbow grease into something. and if i got it ALREADY IN rough shape there is no reason for making it show quality, so if it sits in a parking lot while im eating dinner no big deal. i got more comments on how awesome my super hawk was then i have on this benelli. maybe because i actually let it out of the garage on occasion. but superhawks are awesome, they are unique, mine had been personalized by me and was unlike any other hawk. just like 90% of hawks. actually being stock might be more unique on a superhawk.

i guess what im trying to say with this long winded post is, anyone wanna buy a mint condition benelli???

Last edited by Zedicus; 04-07-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
HA!! Awesome. I'll stick with my Hawk.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I think your comments about living the dream can be applied to many situations. Sorry that the Benelli didn't work out. Thanks for posting here again.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
I agree, a Ducati would be nice, but I would be afraid to ride it. I have only bought two new street bikes, and one of them was two-years old. The rest were all like yours and I like them the best. I am getting to know just about every bolt on the SHawk. It makes the ride more fun, and I enjoy working on my bikes as much as riding them. Sirius channel 32 keeps me company. JB
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg
...and I enjoy working on my bikes as much as riding them.... JB
truth.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Yup.. Even when you have the $$, buy a cheap bike and ride the wheels off it.. way more fun than an expensive piece of art that you are afraid to touch.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Squid

roadapple is on a distinguished road
I know what you mean.

When I first saw a Super Hawk, I didn't know what to think of it. As time goes on, I think they are one of the most beautiful sport bikes on the planet. The way they ride can only be described as unadulterated fun! There are a lot of bikes out there that look exotic, both in picture and in specs. None are more ride-able than the Super Hawk.

Jim
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Squid

roadapple is on a distinguished road
Here's mine

My SH996 in Italian red:
Attached Thumbnails I'm Cheap. or Discovering your Bike.-super-hawk-996-001.jpg  
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
+1... one of my fantasies is a "beater" MV Augusta. Multi color with some primer... something I picked up laid down for $5000 or so. You need to be able to leave it running when you trot in to grab a pack of smokes!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Ha ha! Crack me up!

Awesome looking bike! But like you said, they are for RIDING. I always feel a little more freedom as soon as I get that first scratch or whatever on a new (to me) bike or car. After that you just use it like it was intended.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I'm going to be a bit different than the other responses here...
Dude! Ride your bike!
It doesn't matter that it was expensive. At only 100 miles can you afford the $$/mile rate? Why would you?
If my Shawk fell over, yes it would put a severe damper on my day. Not that it would cost me so much to put it right, but it would still bum me out. You have full insurance on yours (at least i assume you do). If it falls over it cost 20x mor to fix but the insurance pays most of that.
RIDE YOUR FREEKIN BIKE!
I'll never have a Benelli. Not that I could rationalize it like you did, (actually I probably couldn't ) but ultimately I would stop myself because the money could be spent on other things that would benefit my entire family.
This is not criticism, your circumstances are different than mine - Butr either way, you already spent the money. Get some value from it.
I sisncerely hop you post next November that you just put her away for the winter with 6000+ miles.
Ride her.
If not for yourself then for the guys here that never will.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
I sort of know how you feel, I had a Jaguar XJS (not sure if you called them that?) 5.3 litre V12 British racing green beige leather interior. I also had a 20 year old car that everyone laughed at (Austin Allegro) the old heap cost next to nothing and got used every day. However the Jag got used at least twice a week and that kept it "special". I was paranoid about leaving the jag anywhere, if we went out in it I had to be able to see it.

After a while the magic wore off, it acquired a few scrapes and the jag became the day to day car, it was never the same, at UK fuel prices neither was my bank account! (It would now cost over £100 to fill, used to 320 miles to a tank)

It seems a shame but look at the number of supercars for sale with incredibly low mileages, 1,000 a year is high for a Ferrari, I just dont get it, OK as I said it keeps it special but these things love being used and used hard, I was always being told by the garage that mine was the only XJS that they saw that got thrashed. Sadly the body fell to bits and the old girl had to go, still miss it but at least I have fantastic memories of enjoying it, 150+ on the clock being pursued by a Porsche 911 Turbo!

Do it while you can, it's better to regret something you did than something you didn't. We wont be young enough to enjoy our toys forever SO DO IT NOW
Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear about your luck with the benelli.
Glad you desided to enjoy your ride, and quit worrying about it.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Dude, ride your bike. And let it get a little dirty too!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by divingindaytona
Sorry to hear about your luck with the benelli.
Glad you desided to enjoy your ride, and quit worrying about it.
So here's my true story about the stupidity of keeping your pride and joy in cotton wool...

Bought my Corvette in 1980. Mint car, the car of my dreams. Emigrated from the UK to Canada in 2002 (yes 22 years later) and brought my beloved Corvette with me. Had the car 22 years, never scratched, never out in the rain, never parked in public places, blah blah...

Restored the front suspension during my first winter in Canada. Car looked better than ever. Had the car appraised for insurance. Insured the car. Five days later, took the car for it's first Safety Test. Watched the guy put in on the hoist...mmmm...so proud!

Guy is stood under the car, when the arms on the hoist slid across the frame. Car tips one way, guy dives from underneath as car falls backwards from 8 feet high.

Car lands on its back. Plastic car. FuXXXd to death. Bent like a banana. Guy escapes with his life. My pride and joy was gone, right in front of my eyes.

My reaction? None. It's just a 'thing'. I went to work, got on with life, bought another bike.

Ride the Benelli! It's just a 'thing'.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Do some wheelies on that bitch. That will make you feel better!