General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Cycle World review of the Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 04:04 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Re: New Cycle World review of the Superhawk

That seems like a pretty stupid comparo.... most magazines would not even jeopardize their reputation for doing comparisons of bikes that are not closely matched. Stupid.

But, you bought a NEW superhawk for $6k?? where?? That is an amazing price... almost too good to be true!
Old 10-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Who is interested in reviewing a bike that was came out in 97and hasn't changed sense then (colour doesn't count).

I wish that the mags would review bikes that came out a couple of years ago and give a review of them now. I am not interested in a full review of the latest gixxer. I want to know what bikes are a good deal that I can live with on an everyday basis, and do a few trackdays here and there. Oh yeah that I can afford to buy and afford the maintance on.

:P
Old 10-11-2004, 12:03 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
thanks for the clarification, rray. even though they are the same bikes, I don't think any dealer would sell a 2004 model for $6k new. The 2001 model, if it were still sitting on the showroom floor at the spring of 04, is a different story. In any case, you got an awsome deal on a great bike, and that is all that counts!

I read the article, and well, even though I would have preferred to have the superhawk be the winner, I sort of agreed with the article in whole. It had a ton of good stuff to say about the superhawk, and the only thing that pissed me off was the part about not being able to get more than a 100 miles from a gas tank. I normally put about 2.8 gal. every 110-115 miles or so, and I still have 1.4 gal. left in the tank, which is good for another 40 miles easy. (stock everything, incl. pipes)

In any case, superhawk remains one of the best all around bikes, in my opinion, and the article points out some of the positives of this bike.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Squid

redsuperhawk

You know the whole tank range is kinda puzzling to me too. I mean, it doesn't get the best mpg, but I do average around 38mpg, and that's with a slip-on and jetting. I usually go 118-125 before the light comes on.

Just last week I went 114 or so when the light came on, and that was after a bit of "spirited" riding. I went 147 miles before I made it to the gas station, and I was starting to get worried. Then I filled up and only put in 3.8 gallons. Doesn't a 98 SH have a 4.8 gallon tank? I could've gone another 35 miles if that's the case, which would take me 182 miles on a tank! Am I wrong here?

Jeff
redsuperhawk
Old 10-13-2004, 05:15 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
well, from honda's website, the specs for the superhawk says 4.2 gallons, including 0.7-gallon reserve. I think I read somewhere that the gas tank was increased from 2001 (with the new digital dash), but I am not sure.

In any case, I have always got at least 35 mpg, mostly 37 or so mpg though, and with 4.2 g it should take me at least to about 140 miles or so.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Squid

dynamite996
I consistantlly get right at 100 miles of spirited rideing when my light comes on but I've got rejetted carbs and arrow Carbon Fiber cans
Old 01-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Back Marker

Hawknut
They missed the mark on this test. They sure like their Ducks over there. Also everthing else unobtainium. Alot of the bikes they write about can't even be had in the USA and alot of the others are not even being built. When they do write an article like this they can't even do their own math. If I had a stable of bikes to choose from I would probably be riding something else. But for my $$$$$ I'll stick with the Hawk. It is a fun bike to ride.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Regarding biased reviews and motorcycle reviews in general, the editors of most of these magazines are caught in a strange paradox: they must at least pretend to be objective in their reviews, while, at the same time, avoid pissing-off too severely their main contributors (the "Big Four" who buy so much advertising space in the magazines).

More importantly, V-twin cruiser magazines excepted, the reviews offered in the most of the major motorcycle rags are biased in favor of bikes that perform well on a race track. Specfically, the editors often presume that riding a motorcycle very quickly on a race track, a highly controlled and constant environment in comparison to what most riders will ever experience, somehow translates to something meaningful for a person who might be interested in buying one of the bikes under review. Further, the editors rarely take into consideration that different riders have different needs and preferences when it comes to what they think comprises an excellent motorcycle. For example, "iron-butt" riders often prefer BMWs because of the nifty accoutrements that enhance long-distance riding (comfortable rider position, heated grips, a rider-accomodating motorcycle that is not the size of a cruise-liner, etc.). Similarly, everyday commuters often prefer Hondas because of the reputed no-headaches reliability of their motorcycles, as in all of those CB-750s out there that will out-live us all.

That said, it seems to me that most of the editors of the motorcycle rags that I have read have raced at some time and are almost naturally going to prefer edgy bikes over something a little more practical, something a little more attuned to the everyday rider's needs and point-of-view. It is at this point that the VTR often loses-out, as--to paraphrase the Honda press release for the VTR in 1997--"the VTR1000F was _not_ designed to be a street-legal race bike; it was designed to be an excellent all-around motorcycle."

On that note, I would have to say to the engineers at Honda, "Mission accomplished."

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 01-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Regarding Ducatis, before the engineers at Ducati turned them into ugly-looking spacehips, they were very pretty motorcycles and, as they still do, came ready to rock-and-roll, right out of the crate. (the '97 Ducati 916 is a work of art and likely had a big place in motivating the creation of the VTR1000F.)

That said, Ducatis are also a right-royal pain in the ****. To accompany the ridiculously high cost of routine maintenance, Ducati dealerships have placed a strangle-hold on the Ducati maintenance market--will not readily sell valve shims or proprietary valve-adjustment kits to the mechanic down the street. Thus, if you ride more than 6000-8000 miles per year, you'd better have deep pockets and be willing to sit at the dealership all day, once a year.

In short, in the view of many mechanics, Desmodromic valves are an antiquated technology--nothing new or flashy, just a pain in the **** and a hole in the wallet.

cheers,
HotStreetVTR
Old 01-19-2005, 10:34 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of wisdom here. A friend of mine who lives for motorcycles blew 20k on a 916 that he couldn't afford. A year later it now sits at the dealership he bought it from, on consignment. He could barely afford the payments, didn't have a car and the maintenance costs buried him. When I look at the bike now I notice rust on some of the parts. So I pointed this out to my SV bud and he said that "Duc's are only really for mechanically inclined racers as they require nearly continuious maintenance....or posers. On the street MANY bikes will mop up a Duc."

Everything I've seen and read about them, which isn't that much admittedly, makes me wonder why people buy them. Then again, rattly, clunky unrealiable and ludicrously underpowered Harley's still sell well...
Old 01-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Hotstreet -

I agree with you about the biased reviews, most reviewers dont even think of the fact that most motorcycles are also used as commuters, and for weekend duty.

I have to disagree with you about the "Desmodromic valves are an antiquated technology--nothing new or flashy, just a pain in the **** and a hole in the wallet"

When the desmo system came out it was revolutionary, In some respects it still is. The biggest problem they had back then was dropping valves. Metalurgy has come a long way from then.

Ducatis have no "red line" Honda uses a similar type of set up on its valves called cam drive (VFR), 2 different ways to skin a cat.

The reason why ducati still uses this is TRADITION. That is why they still have a frame that is made out of steel. That is why they use dry clutches.

Itallians have a history that is rooted in racing. Ducatis are focused - to be used as a track tool. Think of another itallian company ferrari. Big racing history, beautiful vehicles, good performance... sound familiar. Ferraris have the same service issues and costs associated with them.

Why do you pay so much for a Duc. In italy there are people that make the bikes. There are itallians that put the blocks together and torque down bolts. Real live humans in a factory, unlike other manufacturers (honda, yamaha, kaw, suzuki etc...)

In essence its a handmade bike.

NOrrth-
"On the street MANY bikes will mop up a Duc." That isn't the point. The point isn't who can get there faster in a straight line.

Ducatis are about carving corners with style and grace and looking good when it -and you- are going fast or standing still.

Hopefully you can appreciate these roling pieces of art for what they are.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Squid

Rich A

Originally Posted by NOrrTH";p=&quot
Everything I've seen and read about them, which isn't that much admittedly, makes me wonder why people buy them.
Ride one you'll see.

My first ride on a Duck was around 1980, I test rode a 900 Darmah, and a 500 Pantah. They we incredibly precise in their handling compared to my Yamaha at the time. After the rides I jumped on my bike took off down the road but had to stop after a mile or so because I swear it felt like some one had loosened every nut and bolt on the thing.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:51 PM
SuperSport

I'm sorry if I've rubbed anyone the wrong way, that wasn't my intention.

Like I said, I dont know much about Duc's. I've never owned or even ridden one so I'll take your word and many others that, when they are running right, they are finely crafted machines that handle superbly.

So...what about Aprillia Mille? Everything Ive read says its as good as a Ducati and its reliable. Not as long a pedigre?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

the sticker on the back of my helmet sums this whole topic up.....I HUNT DUCS....and as far as you guys getting 100-130 miles to a tank full, man i wish i could get that, the guy who owned my bike before me put some serious gas guzzling mods on my bike-"spirited" wheely burnout riding gets me to the 60 mile lights on get gas now point....pics soon to come thursday...
Old 02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
SuperSport

Then instead of calling you Phil, they should call you "The Duc' Hunter"?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

ok you got a good point there norrth, may have to change name soon...