General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk Down, To keep or Part?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Squid

leslentz is on a distinguished road
Superhawk Down, To keep or Part?

I've had my 98' superhawk for a little over a year, and have loved every second with her. Until a couple weeks ago she locked up and died on the street. After checking the CCT and valves for damage with no signs. I took a peak at bottom. My rod bearing seemed to slip and overlap eachother. My options are 1) split open the whole engine and replace the crank. 2)replace whole engine. 3) part out the bike.
The bike only has 21k miles and is is beautiful condition and purred before this incident. I would love to get her back up and running, but might have to let her go for good. What are you guys' thoughts? Maybe find a good home for her in this community?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
If it was me I'd find another motor, mine has quite a few mods though. Is your Hawk bone stock?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Where are you located?
Old 03-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wolverine
If it was me I'd find another motor, mine has quite a few mods though. Is your Hawk bone stock?
The only after market items are manual CCT and Two Brothers exhaust.

Last edited by leslentz; 03-27-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Where are you located?
Huntington Beach, Ca
Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Are you mechanically inclined enough to swap the motor out yourself? That would be the determining factor IMO.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:29 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Do the work yourself. Go slow, use a manual. You'll have it running again in no time. Talk to Big Jim as this is all still fresh on his mind.

James
Old 03-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Are you mechanically inclined enough to swap the motor out yourself? That would be the determining factor IMO.
I haven't taken up a project like this before, but I'm fairly confident in my overall abilities. My main problem is lack a garage at the moment. Im working out of a small storage unit at the moment .
Old 03-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
If you have a way to transport it to the valley you could do the repairs at my place.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

I recommend that option...

Unless you hate the bike and want to be done with it.

James
Old 03-27-2015, 07:04 PM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
If you have a way to transport it to the valley you could do the repairs at my place.
I met a guy in the building next door who owns a bone stock black '04! We should start an LA club, I know of at least 5 and if this one gets working thats 6!

Im so envious of your garage, been accumulating tools but still have only an apartment common parking garage
Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
Having just been down this road I can say that it is not that hard but it is time consuming. I took it in chunks planning each stage of the tear down and the rebuild.

Installing a used engine will get you back on the road with the least trouble but will probably be the most expensive option.

If you choose to do the rebuild you will need some space because it makes a big pile of parts. There are three things you will need to over come 1) you will need the special castle nut tool to remove the engine mounting bolts. 2) You will need an impact wrench to remove the flywheel, drive gear, clutch nut. 3) you will need the Honda flywheel puller special tool. Once you have the engine out you can haul it in a car trunk to someone who has an impact wrench. You are going to spend under $200 on parts if you are going to need a crank.

You will need something to support the bike in the air and something to get it there. I improvised and used a cheap 2x4 saw horse to hold the bike frame and a pool ladder to support my chain hoist.

See my thread to find out more. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...art-vtr-32858/
Old 03-28-2015, 06:29 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
The best solution to your situation falls from the sky. Take it and don't look back.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Superstock

Was there any particular event that led to the bearing failure? I am concerned that these bikes have a weak bottom end. It should be a rare event, in a modern bike, to have a big end failure and I have come across several VTRs that have had this happen. I am still not sure what caused mine to fail and will probably will never know. I was just wondering if you had any insight?
Old 03-28-2015, 10:10 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Big_Jim59
Was there any particular event that led to the bearing failure? I am concerned that these bikes have a weak bottom end. It should be a rare event, in a modern bike, to have a big end failure and I have come across several VTRs that have had this happen. I am still not sure what caused mine to fail and will probably will never know. I was just wondering if you had any insight?
These are the first two cases I have heard of this type of failure. And there are several examples of VTR's with more than 100,000 miles.
I think it's a maintenance and/or lugging the engine issue.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Superstock

I contacted a guy in Florida about a 2005 model SH that he had listed as a non-runner. I was interested in what caused it to fail and he said basic neglect. The bike had over 42,000 showing and he owned it from new. By his own admission he never did anything to it. From talking with him I am pretty sure the automatic CCT let go.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Squid

That is quite the offer, and hard to pass up.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Squid

The only thing that proceeded the failure was a very light tick. The first day I heard it I had only driven a couple miles and once I noticed brought it straight back home about a mile away. It didn't sound catastrophic, but I knew there was an issue. So I towed it to two mechanics, both with high recommenations. The first thought it might be the top end, but that I should sell it while it was still running fine. So I brought to a second mechanic who thought it was something in the lower end but had the same advise. Neither had any real thought of what it could be. So I brought it home. I changed the oil to see if I could see any flakes. I took it for a couple small rides to diagnose it when it failed completely. The tick started to get a little louder right before it failed.

I couldn't take the mechanic's advice, damn morrals got in the way...

Last edited by leslentz; 03-29-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by leslentz
The only thing that proceeded the failure was a very light tick. The first day I heard it I had only driven a couple miles and once I noticed brought it straight back home about a mile away. It didn't sound catastrophic, but I knew there was an issue. So I towed it to two mechanics, both with high recommenations. The first thought it might be the top end, but that I should sell it while it was still running fine. So I brought to a second mechanic who thought it was something in the lower end but had the same advise. Neither had any real thought of what it could be. So I brought it home. I changed the oil to see if I could see any flakes. I took it for a couple small rides to diagnose it when it failed completely. The tick started to get a little louder right before it failed.

I couldn't take the mechanic's advice, damn morrals got in the way...
MAN! Do I know the feeling. Engines noises are really hard to pin point unless you have heard it before and almost no one has heard these types of failures in Honda engines. I know about the morals thing too. I can't pass a bike along that I know has problems. I just can't.

If you have an offer of a place to work, take it. You will need it. This is not the kind of job you can do in an apartment although I have known people that have.

Hind sight is wonderful. In case this happens to anyone else, before you ride it, change the oil and use a clean clear plastic tub. Look for sparkly flakes. That will tell you what you need to know.

Last edited by Big_Jim59; 03-29-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ren
I met a guy in the building next door who owns a bone stock black '04! We should start an LA club, I know of at least 5 and if this one gets working thats 6!

Im so envious of your garage, been accumulating tools but still have only an apartment common parking garage
If yous ever want to ride, I live right at the base of Little Tujunga Canyon, So tight twisties right out the door or Hyw 2 is just down the road
Old 05-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Squid

So I finally decided to buck up and replace the crank and bearings myself. I've been gathering all the supplies and plan to opperate next weekend. As long as the stars align and all my parts come in on time. Thanks you all for your advise and encouragement. We shall see how it goes.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:58 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Worst case: You sell it with the engine in a basket and let the next guy figure it out.

Best case: You fix it yourself

Most likely will take time, patience, and tools.

James
Old 05-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by leslentz
So I finally decided to buck up and replace the crank and bearings myself. I've been gathering all the supplies and plan to opperate next weekend. As long as the stars align and all my parts come in on time. Thanks you all for your advise and encouragement. We shall see how it goes.
Let me know if you get stuck. I am a font of information of what not to do.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Squid

Let me know if you get stuck. I am a font of information of what not to do.
I'm waiting on my used crank and rods to come in from ebay. Then I'll be purchasing new rod and main bearings to match the color codes. I have also purchase the honda flywheel puller, castle socket, hondabond (red and blue). I have a cherry picker and engine stand lined up for the job.
Question before I start:
1) Should I purchase a new set of piston rings?
2) Full Gasket set or which gaskets in particular?
3) Should I get new rod end screw set?
4) Any other parts or special tools?
5)Anything in particular to inspect for replacement while its open?

Last edited by leslentz; 06-01-2015 at 08:21 AM.