General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Sell or keep the Superhawk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:15 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sell or keep the Superhawk?

We're a bunch of narrow-minded bastards on this site. If you're dumping the 'Hawk then it's over. See ya!

OK, just kiddin'. Far as the GSX-R...I wouldn't call it universal, unless by that you mean good for both hardcore sport riding & the Strip. It's a sharply focused machine.

This sport is much about passion & so you'll probably be happier making a change. "Course you could keep the 'Hawk & add a Gixxer to the stable, too!
Old 05-03-2005, 03:23 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
It seems like you are asking us to answer a question that you can only answer for yourself. If you are into drag racing, and if you know GSXR is better for that, then I say just sell the superhawk and get what is best for the drag racing. I would even go further and say that for drag racing, you are probably better off with a used ZX12 or a Busa than you are with gsxr.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Squid

Monomaster

One word.... Nitros!

The VTR is a modern classic. When ridden well, will carve up the gixxer/R1/Blade guy's...& you can't beat the sound.. :wink:
You can't beat the feeling of coming around the outside of some dude on a "faster" bike at the track either....

Keep the VTR & add some bling & gas!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:58 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road

Motorcycle Online did a 10.83 quarter mile with a 'Hawk in spite of the chattering clutch. I believe that's the fastest time I have seen for the VTR.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Squid

Monomaster

Originally Posted by killer5280";p=&quot
Motorcycle Online did a 10.83 quarter mile with a 'Hawk in spite of the chattering clutch. I believe that's the fastest time I have seen for the VTR.
Guy's here in OZ regularly run 10.2's over the quater with a dead stock motor & 1 tooth down on the front sprocket!
Old 05-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

Beware, my story is a loong reading !

I'd say that if we talk big boys, like busa etc. it probably makes more sense to go for Blackbird.
But here is different prospective to it (beware - long reading):
last summer we went to France southern High Alps, and we had group of people on different bikes.
Now, we had: 2 blackbirds, CBR600 f4i, Hornet (CB) 919, FZR1000 of 1995 with full power, CBR600 F2, and me on Hornet 600 (what is later turned into Honda 599 in US).
And, despite all riders were more or less same level (except 1 guy) I can easily outrun ALL those bikes except guy on CB919, who was professional riding teacher and several heads above my level of riding, and had 919 with it's train-like midrange.
Of course my Hornet had some mods - Ohlins rear shock, sorted forks and brakes. Engine - untouched except open exhaust.
When it came to wide curves Blackbirds had me on every run, but in tight corners I felt like a "king" ;-)
Guy on CBR600f4i struggled. Guy on CBR600 f2 was fine - seemed that older CBR had more midrange. FZR was surprisingly neutral (except for consuming oil in liters).
One day when we went with smaller group to seaside we met group of guys on "big boys" like Busas and ZX12 - they been useless on those roads, just totally useless - they could not fit those barges into corners that still was bearable for Blackbirds! ZX was particularly useless with heavy handling, Busa had just slow handling. After this trips two guys with Blackbirds changed their decision about selling Birds for "newer" kind of big bikes, like Busa or ZX.
And what I did? I planned back then to sell Hornet, but was thinking of getting something like older GSXR, or may be older Blade etc.
But after that trip I started to lust after midrange ;-) and it HAD to be V-twin.
So, I sold Hornet and bought Storm (with profit!) and first thing I did? I had 200 km ride on Storm and was amazed by midrange and ability to ride in 6th for most of the time, but was spooked by handling - a bit slow-ish and with tendency to tighten up curve towards internal kerb side, and a bit too soft brakes. But it ad Arrow exhaust on it, + original cans, and sound was unbeleivable.
So, with profit of 800 Euro I got from this bike change + 200 from unused Hornet tuning parts I still had I went and bought:
1. Goodridge braided brake hoses
2. Wilbers shock absorber with 4 adjustements, including SEPARATE low-speed and high-speed (meant shock rod speed) compression adjustement.
3. Hyperpro springs (long ones, throw spacer away), Hypepro oil.
4. Crash pads, CBR1000F clip-ons.

And that was it - after first ride with new suspension I was absolutely blown by how much handling and comfort has changed. Above anything I expected. Front was well planted, tail got raised a bit by preload settings for my weight set at shock manufacturer, so I only adjusted compressions and damping, and bike started to turn so quickly I was scared at beginning. And all this with still confortable ride.
I do honestly beleive that now in road riding good rider on my VTR can keep up easily with sportbikes, and I have VTR-riding friend who proved that to me - nobody can get him in twisties, even guys on R1s, and I myself was sooo behind him. He got suspension upgrade too.
In one of issues of Performance Bikes (UK, good mag) they had story on
Revlution Racing-modified VTR that as they say "was coolest ride they ever had" and that "have RSV Mille against the wall with hands on behind it's head" (citate ;-))
Now - if you want drag bike - you need completely different approach, may be GSXR1100-like thingy. GSXR1000 is a great and nasty bike, there is nothing sane about it and yes, it can take **** of most of 1000cc sportbikes in real life, but it is ultimate sport, no kidding. Shawk never was focused track carver, and you can spend bucks and make it into it, but if you overdo it shawk will lose it's touring side completely and you will end up with...well, slower and less powerful GSXR1000
So - in case you target is that - better to buy GSXR.

If you keep shawk - may be just find way to modify clutch or adapt RC slipper clutch to solve both probs at once etc.
But I'd say that IMHO point of sport-ish V-twin is twisty roads and roll-ons, not drag race. BTW - loads of these drag races I saw in Moscow been won by Honda X11, which is actually Blackbird-based roadster and Busas, which are actually barges - too long to flip
Old 05-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Back Marker

BooYeah
I know lots of Gixxer guys who won't ride distances on there bikes like i will mine.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:25 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Monomaster";p=&quot
Originally Posted by killer5280";p=&quot
Guy's here in OZ regularly run 10.2's over the quater with a dead stock motor & 1 tooth down on the front sprocket!
Mono,
Isn't that Aussie 1/4 mile like 100 feet shorter than the US strips?!!!