General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

sight glass oil level? ohh shizz

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
sight glass oil level? ohh shizz

Ok i was poking around the threads and ran across some intersting items.. after going home to check on my new super hawk. i did the following..

1 hold the bike level for a couple minutes
2 looked at the oil level sight glass on the lower right of the bike..
3 **** a brick because i see zero and i mean zero oil..

is it supposed to be that way not running?

like should i be seeing oil inside that little glass, and at what level should io be seeing oil?

Please tell me i did not just buy a bike that has been run with no or super low oil level?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
Well lean it (the bike) over a little more to the right - but you know - not so much that its going to molest its new owner, and fall over on you or someone else. See if there is any oil that moves up the window then. Gotta check these things. Do not have the bike on a center stand when measuring the oil level - I always measure it when the bike is stable with both wheels on the ground, and am 99% sure this is the method in which the check is done.
The top marker in the window is where the oil level should be. ...From the bottom marker in the window to the top marker denotes one liter of oil.
If you don't see any, maybe do an oil change and drain the oil at this point - take note of how much comes out and then go back to the previous owner and request an explination of the current state of the engine with the minimal oil level it may have (If this is the case (very low oil level)).
A good handful of us use Mobile 1 15-50 synthetic (Try not to turn this into a "whats the best oil" thread - this has already been discussed repeatedly.). Others find their preference to be other name brand oils - do a search utilizing the search engine here at the site. Just an FYI - let us know how things are going.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

thanks Spaz.. i promise i wont turn it into a whats the best oil. We all already know the best oil is recycled FLAG from Kragen/checkers/autozone.. lol at 69 cents per quart how can you go wrong?

On the serious side though thank you for the advice of gthe oil change and all. i see from searching the old threads the about correct amount to put in with a new filter is roughly 3.8 liters to 4.1.. minus the one guy who said he cleaned the screen and it took 5 plus for him.

Uhgg im dying over here i wont be able to leave work in time to get a new oil filter from chapparel and oil to change it tonight..

thanks again Spaz.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
:)

No sweat mate.
I'm sure others have some input perhaps too on this.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:14 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Yo, Do an oil change for sure!! get in there and see whats up.
Many peeps on here run regular Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic. I personally Run moto specific oil. Simply because thats what the manual states, and I feel better no deviating from it. They run the Mobil 1 because it has no additives packages in it, or friction modifiers. Our bikes have a wet clutch system, so proper oil is paramount. Now, to save some coin on the filters, just go to a pepboys close by and buy a Purolator brand oil filter....PL14612. That is probably the bestfilter you can buy for your hawk(around 8 bux). The next step is a cheaper alternative from WalMart (which I run). WalMart SuperTech ST7317 oil filter(around 3 bux) is a larger longer filter than stock so you have to trim your chin fairing for it to fit (which I did). OR... you can get the SuperTech ST6607 which is shorter and will fit w/o any modification. I personally like the Idea of a longer filter with more surface area. I had to Dremel out a fliter shaped notch to make it fit. no biggie.

Hope this helps the cause!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Buy a factory service manual too!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
Yo, Do an oil change for sure!! get in there and see whats up.
Many peeps on here run regular Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic. I personally Run moto specific oil. Simply because thats what the manual states, and I feel better no deviating from it. They run the Mobil 1 because it has no additives packages in it, or friction modifiers. Our bikes have a wet clutch system, so proper oil is paramount. Now, to save some coin on the filters, just go to a pepboys close by and buy a Purolator brand oil filter....PL14612. That is probably the bestfilter you can buy for your hawk(around 8 bux). The next step is a cheaper alternative from WalMart (which I run). WalMart SuperTech ST7317 oil filter(around 3 bux) is a larger longer filter than stock so you have to trim your chin fairing for it to fit (which I did). OR... you can get the SuperTech ST6607 which is shorter and will fit w/o any modification. I personally like the Idea of a longer filter with more surface area. I had to Dremel out a fliter shaped notch to make it fit. no biggie.

Hope this helps the cause!
helps me more then you can imagine.. we have a late night wal mart close by too. thank you for the advice.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:33 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
just a reminder to make sure you fill it to the top of that window. these bikes are sensative to how much, and how old the oil is. you'll find that when its filled to the top, with new oil, it will run smoother, it may warm up slightly slower, and I've found that it will shift smoother too. especially the 2nd gear devil. and the hawk will eat oil slowly over time so check your level occasionally. its normal.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sorry about the search feature restrictions. You'll find that if you search "oil" you won't get any hits because 4-letter words are the low limit. Same thing with "CCT" and other common 3-letter words. You have to be creative. For example, instead of oil, search filter. Instead of CCT, search CCTs.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
just a reminder to make sure you fill it to the top of that window. these bikes are sensative to how much, and how old the oil is. you'll find that when its filled to the top, with new oil, it will run smoother, it may warm up slightly slower, and I've found that it will shift smoother too. especially the 2nd gear devil. and the hawk will eat oil slowly over time so check your level occasionally. its normal.
Filling to the top line is OK. Filling past the top line isn't a good idea.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the walmart filters. 5150 - not to be a smart ***, but... you did still have the bike upright when you looked in the window?
Why honda designed it this way on a bike with no center stand is stupid and leads to not checking.
Think I'll check mine now...
Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 AM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
+1 on not liking the design. I about killed myself trying to check the oil while still sitting on the bike.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

I actually kneel down next to the bike and grab the frame and pull it tword me till the bike balances. Works fine!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by newb007
+1 on not liking the design. I about killed myself trying to check the oil while still sitting on the bike.
I would have loved to have seen that........lol
Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I sit on the ground grab the handle bar and pull the bike up to the balance point. Easier with the forks locked. If I ever get tired of doing it I'll tape a cheap mirror on a stick so I can see the glass from the seat.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Ok so last night i ran out to wally wolrd.. bought a filter and well i wont say which oil because it was some cheap *** stuff.. in searching the threads last night i ran across smelling for gas in the oil and different tips.. so i go home last night.. pull the filler plug and damn smells like a gas tank in there..hence the cheap oil.. im just going to put it in with the new filter run it a short enough time,, maybe an hour or so too see if there 1 significant metal shaving after changing and two more ruined gas from i belive what greg called a stuck carb float and blocked over flow..

after i figure those two out i will put in a more proper oil..

thanks again shizzy i wrote down the numbers walked right in and bought the short filter last night you suggested.

One more question.. i looked under the bike today,, and yeah call me stupid but i do not see the oil drian plug for the life of me.. is it the tiny as tiny can be bolt like sitting less then an inch away from the filter with the head pointed directly towards the ground?

also i have no stand i am changing this while it is on the kick stand...where the heck is that thing?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
+1 on the walmart filters. 5150 - not to be a smart ***, but... you did still have the bike upright when you looked in the window?
Why honda designed it this way on a bike with no center stand is stupid and leads to not checking.
Think I'll check mine now...
yes i did stand it up straight.. well level like as if some one was siting on it.. for about a minute..and man i dont see anything in the window,, leaned it over a touch more as some one else suggested.. you know further to the right side.. and still nothing in the glass.. soon as i find the damn drain plug this will be under way to fixed..hahah
Old 06-06-2009, 03:16 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
The engine is lighter with no oil ...
Old 06-06-2009, 03:23 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Drain plug is on the left side (clutch side) pointing outward as opossed to down ward. I thinks its a twelve mil.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:25 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
By clutch, I mean the lever.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by mboe794
Drain plug is on the left side (clutch side) pointing outward as opossed to down ward. I thinks its a twelve mil.
thank you mobe i was digging thru all kinda threads looking for something. more time wrentching on the bike and less time digging thanks to you.

lol on my way to buy some metric sockets right now.. lol
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Order a factory service manual!!! check eBay!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Or : http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=140295
Old 06-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
yeah the first oil change i did on the hawk i wasnt so sure about the drain plug. its such a tiny bolt and on the side.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I would have loved to have seen that........lol
I typically do stupid stuff in front of people, so i'm sure someone did.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
I found a haynes manual at the local library and all i had to do was check it out. Just a heads up.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RK1
Filling to the top line is OK. Filling past the top line isn't a good idea.
+1 sorry. I meant the top line. although it can go a little above and not cause a prob. have done it several times. but you're right. not a good idea.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
For me, a gallon jug with a filter change has always been the right amount. I usually put in about 3.5 quarts and then run the bike for aminute or so to let the oil circulate and fill the new filter. Then I pour in the last of the gallon. This generally gets me to just under the top line
Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
For me, a gallon jug with a filter change has always been the right amount. I usually put in about 3.5 quarts and then run the bike for aminute or so to let the oil circulate and fill the new filter. Then I pour in the last of the gallon. This generally gets me to just under the top line
good idea.