General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tire Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
Tire Suggestions?

Hi i just bought a 98 superhawk. i am a first time rider, switching over from dirt bikes to street bikes. Ive seen nothing but great comments about the SuperHawk 996 so i am looking forward to getting some great advice from you seasoned riders here on Superhawkforum.com..

A little back ground on the bike..tires were given to the last owner for free from a friend. The tires were new but used at the track. Both sides are worn considerably. Old owners puts new tires on goes for a ride on the freeway and as he is getting into the number one lane he hits a reflector on the ground as he is accelerating front tires comes off the ground and the bars start slapping from side to side(he thinks he is going to die) he gets the bike back under control before it goes down and he becomes part of the pavement but now he parks the bike in the garage.. now i am the new owner.

He tells me prior to mounting those worn on the side brand new track tires from his friend he never had any issues like the one mentioned. he suggest replacing the tire before i really start riding the NEW TO me bike.

What tires do you guys suggest for me to get on this bike.. and do you think the issue was all tires that was described? or should i be worried about something else mechanical?

Thank you for any input.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Track day tires are never any good after they come off, otherwise the guy would've kept them. I just went with Bridgestone Bt-21's and they're great. The bike feels really good with really good feel, they're a little heavy so above 60mph steering feels a little heavy but that's ok by me. There are tires with more overall traction (Bt-014, Dunlop Qualifiers, Michelin Pilot Powers, etc.) but the research I did has me expecting 7-8k miles out of these. They were the lease expensive tires with a good rep to boot.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Search is your friend here. Lots of tire threads.

I like Diablo Rosso's.

Good luck to you and welcome. Enjoy the hawk, as it's a great bike.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I like Pilot Powers by Michelin. You can get a set mail ordered to you for under $300 shipped. An independent shop had them for 125 front and 155 rear. Course you have to get them mouned and balanced unless you do that yourself.

Mileage will not be good. Around 3000 miles. My bike is more of a toy so I want sticky tires over mileage. Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs are their latest offering and are about 15% more. Pilot Roads offer higher mileage and stick pretty well. I have those on another bike.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
shinko 005 advance radials are the way to go for me. very affordable and they work great! even in rain they've gripped quite well.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:05 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i got a set of dunlop qualifiers in febuary that are now toast within the first oil change. thes bikes are hell on rear tires. i dont pop wheelies or do burn out and i got maybee 3200 miles out of my tires. i will be going the SHINKO route. ill be ordering some 009 ravens and post a review. if the shinko tires will last twice as long and handle my driving style then ill be a convert. two sets of shinkos will cost me ruffly the same as one set of my beloved qualifiers. but with this bike i would be spending close to a thousand dallors a year for tires and im just not going to pay that much for rubber. oh and please get some aftermarket cam chain tensioners if ther not allready on there.

Last edited by cameron; 05-31-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
Track day tires are never any good after they come off, otherwise the guy would've kept them. I just went with Bridgestone Bt-21's and they're great. The bike feels really good with really good feel, they're a little heavy so above 60mph steering feels a little heavy but that's ok by me. There are tires with more overall traction (Bt-014, Dunlop Qualifiers, Michelin Pilot Powers, etc.) but the research I did has me expecting 7-8k miles out of these. They were the lease expensive tires with a good rep to boot.
<---- avatar = running dunlop ntech take-offs

that is just flat out wrong. old track tires or 'take offs' CAN be a great street tire. it's what i usually run. i even will run an A group trackday on a good set. the described tank slapper has nothing to do with the tire imo.

racers sell the take-offs not because they're shot but because they 'may' not handle another session at race pace.

the difference in grip from a race DOT tire is just in another league vs. a street tire... even a good take-off.

tim

Last edited by trinc; 05-31-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Thank you for the tire advice..

so what does cause the tank slap with the handle bars then?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by 59burst
Search is your friend here. Lots of tire threads.

I like Diablo Rosso's.

Good luck to you and welcome. Enjoy the hawk, as it's a great bike.
thank you for the welcome. i look forward to lots of discussions with other Hawk riders.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 5150
thank you for the welcome. i look forward to lots of discussions with other Hawk riders.
I'm a former hawk rider, but I still hang around because I dig this crowd. I think you'll like it here. Lots of great information and great people.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by 59burst
I'm a former hawk rider, but I still hang around because I dig this crowd. I think you'll like it here. Lots of great information and great people.

what do you ride now?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
On my new to me 01 hawk, I put Metzler M3's at the suggestion of my GXSR bud. I love 'em. Don't know what the mileage will end up being but I've already got 1700 on 'em and they haven't changed, except the chicken strips are gettin' shorter. I'm learnin'.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Squid

what do you ride now?

02 Blackbird.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the tire advice..

so what does cause the tank slap with the handle bars then?
a 'tank slapper' is caused by the front tire lifting off the ground & then dropping back down to the ground with the tire out of line with the rear tire.

in the case above, after lifting the front going over the reflector he turned the handlebars or let the handlebars turn.

when this happens the front tire will try to correct the position but overcompensate... then do it again but the other direction, overcompensate... etc. etc.

a steering damper will help as it adds resistance but the best thing ( if possible ) is to get hard on the gas to lighten the front end reducing the severity. then it should correct itself.

tim
Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinc
a 'tank slapper' is caused by the front tire lifting off the ground & then dropping back down to the ground with the tire out of line with the rear tire.

in the case above, after lifting the front going over the reflector he turned the handlebars or let the handlebars turn.

when this happens the front tire will try to correct the position but overcompensate... then do it again but the other direction, overcompensate... etc. etc.

a steering damper will help as it adds resistance but the best thing ( if possible ) is to get hard on the gas to lighten the front end reducing the severity. then it should correct itself.

tim
which is great because its not a natural response to speed up when you feel like you are about to die
Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tbartley
On my new to me 01 hawk, I put Metzler M3's at the suggestion of my GXSR bud. I love 'em. Don't know what the mileage will end up being but I've already got 1700 on 'em and they haven't changed, except the chicken strips are gettin' shorter. I'm learnin'.
+1 here

M3's front and back,absolutely luv em and expecting about 5000 miles from each.

The trouble with track tyres on the street isn't the wear, its temperature. You just cant get enough heat in them (with semi normal riding) so that they work correctly.

I followed a TLR1000 fitted with an ex track Bridgestone (I think) on the rear,down a mountain once, and I could keep with him for the first 1/3 of the way, but as his tyre got hotter, he just pulled away from me.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear

The trouble with track tyres on the street isn't the wear, its temperature. You just cant get enough heat in them (with semi normal riding) so that they work correctly.
Exacto..
Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by trinc

thank you. That was a great explanation.
tim
Old 06-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear
+1 here

M3's front and back,absolutely luv em and expecting about 5000 miles from each.

I followed a TLR1000 fitted with an ex track Bridgestone (I think) on the rear,down a mountain once, and I could keep with him for the first 1/3 of the way, but as his tyre got hotter, he just pulled away from me.
that was something no one else touched on. thank you. it gave me plenty to think about on the tires. or another dimension of the tire slection process for sure.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're not tearing up the corners then go with one of the new dual compound tires like the bridg. bt021, the dunlop roadsmart, the conti road attack or the mich pilot road 2 they will last a LOT longer and give you plenty of grip. The mich will be more expensive but they last the longest of the sport touring tires you can get the others for under $300 and last almost twice as long as the full on sport tires. If you want a full on sport tire I loved the pirrelli corsa 3 and was happy with the miles I got out of them trying out the bt016 right now so far so good. I can't even tell how many tires I've tried on this bike 8 years and plenty of track days saw to that.