General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

To Ride or Not

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Squid

sevenchaos is on a distinguished road
To Ride or Not

im losing my mind lol. i cannot decide whether or not to ride my bike, i was enjoying it, but since i found out about the CCT i have parked it since yesterday. All the shops around me are booked 3-4 weeks out and my buddy cant do it for 3 weeks. I didnt buy this bike to sit and watch it sit, but im afraid to do it myself and mess the thing up more when its running perfect right now.

do you guys think im safe to ride it, or attempt to fix with apes tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Are there signs the CCTs are failing, or is it just forum induced paranoia?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Squid

forum paranoia, my buddy of mine listened to the bike yesterday, said he didnt hear anything out of the normal sounds. he took it for a ride said everything felt good, he told me i should be okay to ride it till he fixes it because im the kind of rider who doesnt run it hard. but then i got the parts coming tomorrow from ape and im afraid to ride it and then bam there goes CCT
Old 04-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Superstock

No guarantee something won't go wrong... But personally I would ride.

I made the switch to manual CCTs for peace of mind, but don't really think they actually fail that often. You just don't get many posts here from people about their CCTs not failing.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Squid

yeah and i read about guys who have you know 55k on there bikes on stock, but now im just paranoid. i think i could change them myself, but then im going to shoot myself in the head if i accidently messed up the timing or something stupid
Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Superstock

I did mine and it wasn't too bad. You just need to review all you can beforehand, take your time, and really follow directions.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Over 48,000 miles on mine, bought new, with stock CCT's. And it's been to redline a number of times.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Back Marker

Stixx is on a distinguished road
I fell prey to forum induced paranoia. But I don't think it is a bad thing. I had 28,000 miles on mine when I changed them two weeks ago. Thought I heard a noise when I was getting it ready for this season, ordered apes and while still tinkering with it noise went away. Rode it till parts arrived and I had time to do it. It is really not that bad a job if you follow carlitoz's fine step by step instructions. But if you don't feel safe doing it alone, I can understand that also.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Sevenchaos, you should never let paranoia stop you from riding. (unless you feel you are an unsafe spaz, then take the bus)
These are reliable engines, not ticking timebombs or a house of cards. How many miles on the bike? I did change mine for long term reasons but it took me 6-8 months to get it done after I bought them.
Lots of riders dont even come on this forum & are out riding right now, & there you are hiding under your bed, head under a blanket sniveling "please dont hurt me"?
Now march yourself out to the garage with your gear on and ride, dammit! That is the true essence of being a motorclcist..........
Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Squid

lol very well put there sir....i might go ride this afternoon and my bike is at 29,790 miles. stock cct's
Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Yes you are losing your mind! Don't let it kneel you from riding. Get a grip. I do agree about the paranoia. Keeping you cdrom doing it yourself. Ifyou have not adjusted valves on this typed of head before forinstance, then maybe let a shop do it. There have been at least as many postson f-upped ddr replacements as spontaneous failures. So if your uncertain get a friend to help or wait. But definitely ride it till then.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Also..... Unless you live in the boondocks, look around for a competent mechanic who can do it but is cheap. There is always some guy with a smaller shop who can fit you in, and will let you do the work with him to learn.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:33 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I just bought, and started up the engine on a 98' S-hawk with 52k. And rode the bike out of S. Carolina-trip was about 350 miles..Brought the bike into the shop at the house, and noticed(under assumption) that the engine still had "What appeared to be the original CCTs in it..
When that chain becomes loose from CCT failure... You will know that something is internally wrong....
Ride save
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
RIPI
Squid

RIPI is on a distinguished road
Ride but replace at least the front cct ASAP..had fronts fail on two bikes around 20k miles. First failure was instant and without warning as the clutch was gently pulled while rolling up to a stop sign. The other I heard the chain slapping and rolled to a stop without pulling the clutch until almost stopped. Chain skipped as soon as I turned the motor by hand. Pushing or parking the bike late at night in the middle of nowhere sucks but don't even think of trying that tempting start button when you are sure something is wrong inside the motor. Doing so will guarantee it.. The remainder of mods so graciously detailed throughout this forum are excellent to consider but certainly not necessary to have a blast riding one of the best sport bikes a reasonable sum of money can buy! Oh and the RR will likely fail at some point but worst thing there is being stuck somewhere and a melted wire or two...keep pressing the start button all you like in this situation if it makes you feel better while you are pushing the bike...