General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

To wave or not to wave, to help or not to help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
To wave or not to wave, to help or not to help

Dont you just hate it when you wave at a fellow motorcyclist and you dont get a wave back.. Or , feel bad when your hand just didnt make it off the bar?

I always try to do "The Wave" to my fellow motorcyclist...

Well.........i havent been on the street for more than a couple months or so and the other day i was telling this guy at work of how proud i was to be part of such a commeradic "CLAN" if you will.. He rides a harley. ..He proceeded to tell me " WELL DONT BE GIVIN THAT WAVE TO ANY HARLEY DUDES!!" And i said " I sure wont be taking my hand of my grip for your ***!"

Ultimatley i am hating "Harley Riders now", im going to say most of them think they are tough **** bad asses that have thier leather chaps and jackets professionally "weathered" so they look like they ride alot..

One more thing... I was at my local moto shop yesterday getting a new chain put on when some dude with Oakleys, gold chain and daimond studs in his ears pulls up on his big harley, a dresser, or whatever you call the one with speakers, saddle bags, out riggers and chase helicopter..well HE DROPPED IT, right in front of me !!and i did NOT help him!!..He was struggling and sweating trying to get the bike back up, after watching this for what seems to be an eternity while i sipped my Quiznos Mug Rootbear, i motioned too help ,he had muscled his bike up about half way, meanwhile the bike shop guy comes sprinting out of the shop past me to help........i do feel terrible now...this guy is probably a nice dude, not like the ignorant ******* i work with.. but look at what this *** at my work has created. A HARLEY HATER!!!! Should i wave, should i not wave, are we in a class of our own here gentlemen?!?! Should i hate maybe say.... 60 percent of Harley guys and call it good?

Last edited by lynchie; 08-14-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
"little squirt" posted this youtube video about biker waves, its great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqykEhOIaRk
Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
I wave at everyone, except scooters. They just make me upset for some reason.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
lol I passed a pair on scooters the other day and pull up to the red light after I split the lane to get to the front and ill be damn if this old lady on the scooter doesn't zip around the outside of the lanes and pull up in front! i was like WTF!!! her husband on the other scooter was nowhere to be found. granted as soon as the light went green I got my distance as quickly as possibly so that people don't try to make some sort of sick sportbike, scooter duo connection.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I'm at the point now where I don't wave to anyone not wearing a helmet unless they wave first, this alone eliminates 95% of Harleys. It seems that if you're logical enough to wear a helmet, you're not above a friendly wave.....if you're not wearing a helmet, you're more into the "being seen" type of ride.
I think I would have helped the guy pick up his bike though.....he's still a 2-wheeled brotha'.
Funny video, thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I wave at everyone - except scooters. Non-wavers get a nonchalant middle finger added...
Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
i wave at scooters! i own a 05 honda ruckus as well... thing rocks! i have just about the same chance getting nailed on that as i do the hawk.

the thing with the scooter is that it is so much easier in traffic. if i'm going downtown to a rockies game (denver), i hop on the ruckus and zip downtown then park on the sidewalk and walk straight into the ballpark. i would never take the hawk cause i have to park it in a spot which will cost money and be farther away. not to mention my numb clutch hand from all the stop and go BS.

scooters are awesome in densely populated areas, while worthless in the suburbs. so traffic = scooter and open road = hawk!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Speedbump
Squid

Norcalblake is on a distinguished road
I wave to all bikes but scooters and harleys... scooters just dont count and harleys arent irritate me, to me niether of them are real riders... I ride my hawk everyday and befire that a klr650 rain or shine no matter what (granted i dont own a car) and i know there are some squids in the sport bike world, i think all harley riders are. They trailer there ****, only ride on perfect weather and think there bad *** with thier lil dome helmets... so Lynchie I say keep waving to the real motorcyclist out there, u dont always get a wave back but maybe they just didnt see, not in a spot to pull a hand off a bar, or whatever but atleast we recognise are own.. dont wanna start looking like harley people
Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Squid

1zeppfan is on a distinguished road
Hardley Goerson guys don't wave back because they are to busy trying to hang on.....I will help anybody on a bike no questions just help whatever they need help with geting it going again or picking it up out of a ditch. The wave thing......Well I wave at everybody but Harleys and scooters.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:48 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Scooters are too self-absorbed to even see you, much less acknowledge you - was going about 1 out of 100 when I finally stopped waving at them. Harleys, about 4 out of 10, metric cruisers and full dressers about 8 out of 10. Sport bikes unless scraping pegs or closing rate plus 200 mph, 100%.

I understand the scooter conveinence; used to ride a 150cc dual-sport till a cager took me and it out last saturday. Gotta start stripping the parts bike...
Old 08-14-2008, 02:56 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Except when it'd be unsafe to let go with one hand, I wave at everyone on 2 wheels, most on 3 and a few on 4.. Usually they wave back, but if not I don't take it personally.

A few years ago when my R/R went on me, it was a Hells Angel on a Harley of course who stopped first to help me.

Other people being a dick doesn't mean I have to be one. I can't control how anyone else in the world thinks, but I can control my own actions and I don't want my actions to inspire assholery.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=lynchie;176491]

Well.........i havent been on the street for more than a couple months or so and the other day i was telling this guy at work of how proud i was to be part of such a commeradic "CLAN" if you will.. He rides a harley. ..He proceeded to tell me " WELL DONT BE GIVIN THAT WAVE TO ANY HARLEY DUDES!!" And i said " I sure wont be taking my hand of my grip for your ***!"
QUOTE]

Thats because they can't ride.

But some harley guys do wave...The ones that will NEVER wave is the ones on mopeds.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
I never wave first,but I'll wave to any one who does.Scooter's and harley's included.
BUT I've grown to dislike harly riders.To me they're all gay accountants unless proven otherwise.On the backroads I'll strafe a harley with out a second thought,yet if I come up on something else I'll hang back for a moment to give them time to notice me.I don't know if I could not help some one though,because Im such a nice guy.But if he made a big production of his arrival,kudos for you.Is this the general skill level of harley riders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rueC1r8W1s

Last edited by doggerman; 08-14-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Squid

Prilliant03 is on a distinguished road
I'm quite surprised at some of what I've read. I've been fortunate enough to spend some time riding in the US, mostly in AZ and CA, and have to say that the vast majority of all riders were immediately friendly and welcoming, no matter what they were riding. A wave or a nod was the norm and and ignorance very much the exception.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by doggerman
I never wave first,but I'll wave to any one who does.Scooter's and harley's included.
BUT I've grown to dislike harly riders.To me they're all gay accountants unless proven otherwise.On the backroads I'll strafe a harley with out a second thought,yet if I come up on something else I'll hang back for a moment to give them time to notice me.I don't know if I could not help some one though,because Im such a nice guy.But if he made a big production of his arrival,kudos for you.Is this the general skill level of harley riders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rueC1r8W1s
I ran across that video yesterday. "What an idiot!" indeed. At that pathetic pace he could have made it easily, but he just locked it up and rode straight off. I like the commentary by those in the van--"They're gonna beat our asses."
Old 08-14-2008, 03:36 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Prilliant03
I'm quite surprised at some of what I've read. I've been fortunate enough to spend some time riding in the US, mostly in AZ and CA, and have to say that the vast majority of all riders were immediately friendly and welcoming, no matter what they were riding. A wave or a nod was the norm and and ignorance very much the exception.
This pretty much coincides with my experiences here in the US in my 32 years of riding.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:43 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...highlight=wave
To wave, or not to wave. That is the question. - SuperHawk Forum
Old 08-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
i dont wave at ne one unless i kno em the harley "wave" is gay
Old 08-14-2008, 04:12 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...highlight=wave
To wave, or not to wave. That is the question. - SuperHawk Forum
I was gonna say, are we about to have an oil thread?
Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
I was gonna say, are we about to have an oil thread?
Ha! I actually like discussing oil, and with all the changes in formulation lately it's actually worth talking about.

But I know better than to start a thread. I've already read enough K-Y Jelly, Vagisil, and Aunt Jemima Syrup jokes to last a lifetime.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
I give the sport bikes a wave unless speed is an issue. Those riding with no helmet...well, that's self correcting. I'll wave to cruisers if it looks like they can respond w/o driving into something (keep in mind most just got their training wheels off).

>doggerman
I watch that clip at least once a week. Always makes me laugh.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
hahah

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAHHHHH
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I only wave at 1986 Yugo's.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
Would you wave at someone riding a mine pocket rocket? I passed on while I was coming threw Uc today. he was franticly waving at me. I think it was someone I knew but I didnt give him the chance to catch up. I kind of looked like a miniture R1. And to think my son wants one.. .
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Duck007
I'm at the point now where I don't wave to anyone not wearing a helmet unless they wave first, this alone eliminates 95% of Harleys. It seems that if you're logical enough to wear a helmet, you're not above a friendly wave.....if you're not wearing a helmet, you're more into the "being seen" type of ride.
Would you wave at this guy? He's wearing a helmet

...and loafers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owf9AHJ2ot8&NR=1

I bet this video has circulated to all the Harley Forums.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
You know what, no **** most Harley riders are douches. My first few days out riding I would waive to all two wheeled friends and more often then not the Harley jerk offs would look the other way or just act like I wasn't there. Maybe they were just pissed that my V-twin sounded better than theirs. Bitches...Needless to say I don't waive at those part time weekend tough guys anymore.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMh8gCZtbpE

I will help anyone no matter what they are riding/driving. I wave when I can to anyone on two wheels (minus scooters) and could care less if they respond.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:12 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
I wave about 95% of the time.

Now the other question, how does everyone do their wave lol?

me = out to the side waver.

Last edited by haknslash; 08-14-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
I have several rules to the wave.

1) I never ever wave at Harley's ever. UNLESS, they wave first.

2) Passing in the opposite directions gets a straight arm with two fingers out at about 3 - 4 pm ( facing me ).

3) When both hands are needed on the bars I knod with face down aiming at tank.

When passing in the same direction just a two finger wave down by the thight. QUick and nothing instigating.

I've done this since my first bike when I noticed other bikers waving.

I see nearly all Sport bikers wave. Makes me feel good. Knowing there is a " brotherhood " out there.

SAVE THE :WAVE:
Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Squid

swortsoul is on a distinguished road
I wave at any motorcycle. Most around here wave back no matter what they are on. I do notice a lot of cruiser riders wait until I initiate it.

I normally never wave at a scooter, unless it's one of those big honda scooters that have the same looking headlight as motorcycles which always confuses me... No disrespect meant. I can appreciate anything with 2 wheels. They just are on a different machine, not a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: To wave or not to wave, to help or not to help