General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How NOT to ride the GAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:24 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
How NOT to ride the GAP

Don't you think he could've leaned it over instead?

http://bikerpunks.com/wp-content/videopop/1161312852.wmv
Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yet pages have been written in the thread "Bad rap for sportbikes" defending poor riding.

I'm so confused.....
Old 11-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok I know the guy is from Mich. but don't they have any turns corners intersections up there. Maybe an MSF course.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Squid

barkmagnet is on a distinguished road
Another asswipe tapeing himself,why would you even want to post that for all to see? Now I know where they get the saying "hey yall watch this"
Old 11-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
MSF for sure.....One thing I picked up from that class, and it has saved my *** on several occasions, is if you feel you are not going to make the turn, just push it a little further, worse case is a low side, verses what happened to that guy.....That and not going faster on a road like that then what you can handle....hmmmm how bout that...
Old 11-11-2006, 05:29 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think that's it Cliff. You can't always (I can't) always keep up. Honestly I don't want to. I want to ride the road with MY *** in the saddle and not somebody else's. I don't want to follow somebody else's line - I want to take the curve at the angle I prefer. I think the safest way to drive is to drive "your own race". I don't have my Superhawk nearly as set up as I want it so it can be a handful sometimes. I think you have to feel what your bike is doing at all times. And that doesn't include paying too much attention to the driver in front of you or the one in back. If their faster they will find a way by, if I'm faster, I'm the one going by. What this moron can't remember is "it's about the road, STUPID!!!" Not the camera, not being in Michigan - what an airhead!
Old 11-12-2006, 04:58 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
A total airhead yes.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
airhead, I was thinking dumb-f#$k.that whole scene should've been avoided. he said at the end they both walked away? I'll bet she never rides with him again or maybe it was a he?
Old 11-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting clip.
I'm one of the lucky ones who have been able to ride the road more times than I could count. I know the turn very well.
It's called Picinc Tables turn (look in the background and you can see why).
He was, apparently, going too fast for his skill level, but he was not going too fast for the turn. It is a nice knee draggin' turn that can be safely negotiated at a "brisker" pace than he was traveling.
I'll try to attach a pic(s) of that turn. I don't know the riders, and can't even remember where I got the pic, but it gives you and idea of what the turn is like.
I have seen a LOT of crashes at The Dragon and it seems most are, suprisingly, not the result of absolute speed, but more a matter of relative speed.
The speed relative to the rider's ability is what gets folks in trouble.
I try to learn from other's mistakes. I have been fortunate enough (at Deal's Gap) to have never had to stand the bike up, get on the binders and go straight thru a turn.
Oh, I have made my share of blunders, but so far, the suspension and tires have saved me.
A buddy of mine is a control rider for STT, and we have discussed these things before. He reminds me that the equipment we are on - assuming you have good equipment and good sport rubber, will generally allow you to fix a mistake by turning harder than you had started out planning to.
It's a hard thing to do really, at least for me.
You have a fraction of second to decide: go straight or turn tighter.
So far I have been able to override my instinct to go straight.
For better or for worse, I try to fix my blunders by tightening my line. I have had the front end slide quite a few times, and a few times, both front and rear went bye-bye. But the tires - so far- have hooked up again and I continued on with nothing more than a tight butthole.
Of course, there are those occasions where you enter a 40 mph turn running 65 mph and no bikes/tires in the world will get you through.
I watched one of those incidents, matter of fact, it was the EXACT SAME TURN, only going the opposite direction. I was sitting at the Picinc table and watched a guy body slam a pine tree. I was SURE he was going to die as I held his head in my lap. Well, he didn't die, but he never did remember what happened. I will never forget what happened.
Like I said, I try to learn from other's mistakes.
His mistake? IMO, he didn't know the road like he thought he did and was going WAY too fast for the turn. He never had a chance to make it.
(OBTW: his front end tucked and he low sided straight into a pine tree just off the road)

Ok, I'll end my dissertation now.....

Brian

edit: the guy in the video crash was going away from the camera in pics below.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Sure looks like two riders at quite the brisk pace! stupid stock shock.. I wouldn't be very comfortable going over bumps when positioned like that.