General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Rear stand recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Squid

fixman5150 is on a distinguished road
Rear stand recommendation.

I anyone have a recommendation for a rear stand for my 2002 Superhawk.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well Pit Bulls are the best stands I have used and would only use their front stands. The rear stands they have are also very nice but you can use just about any stand that you are comfortable that the bike won't fall off of.

If you find a stand that is really cheap, there usually is a reason for it (cheap or light weight materials) so just go buy a pit bull and get it over with
Old 03-15-2010, 04:19 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I have a Lockhart Phillips and some cheap no-name thing. They both do the job but the LP is far superior. Better wheels, better pads, lighter, and the different construction makes it easier to use by youself. It mainly comes down to how much you want to spend.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:51 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
How much are you using it? Just on the Hawk or several bikes? For just periodic lubing the chain or for significant work? finally what do you want to spend?
I have this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99701 with the paddles
my local Harbor freight had it for $40 and with paddles and a 20% off coupons I got out the door pretty cheap.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:20 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
i have a LP stand. Ive also used T-rex stands, very nice, just like pit bulls but 1/3 the price.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i just bought a gorilla for the front and its a sturdy beast, kapsco.com i believe is where it came from, theyre on sale at like half price
Old 03-16-2010, 05:55 AM
JB1
Squid

JB1 is on a distinguished road
I ended up buying a set of black widows from discount ramps. http://www.discountramps.com/rear-motorcycle-stand.htm
They work good & the price wasn't to bad. Plus they showed them on a Superhawk. I'm a sucker for advertising.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
I just love how you guys always help me to find new ways to spend my money! LOL
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Squid

DocTremblay is on a distinguished road
I have T-Rex stand, love them!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Have this Harbor Freight stand and am pretty happy with it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66192
Can't beat the price... even when you add the front fork adapters.

The T-Rex stands do look nice though.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Squid

MotorWatt is on a distinguished road
How about GPI Industries front and rear stand. I've seen good reviews on other forums. I am looking to buy stands.
Are spools a big deal to install or is the swingarm mount OK?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
SuperSport

Rollin20z is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
How much are you using it? Just on the Hawk or several bikes? For just periodic lubing the chain or for significant work? finally what do you want to spend?
I have this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99701 with the paddles
my local Harbor freight had it for $40 and with paddles and a 20% off coupons I got out the door pretty cheap.

Thesed are awesome little stands for the price. I have a couple on different bikes and they seem sturdy as any other,of course I use them on the Hawk with spools, can't say how they sit with paddles under SA. I have these , pitbulls,LP,T Rex, Vortex and they seem to work just as good as any. Only problem I ever had was the wheels they use are pretty soft, but I spent like $5 for a set of semi hard roller blade wheels and they have had a heavy Busa sitting on them for 6 months straight with no flat spots. I even took a tube style LP stand spread it open and retweaked bottom runners in at front so it would be wide enough to fit around a 300 tire.

Besides just look in most bike mags and you'll find Harbor Freight coupon page and most always there is a 20% off single item coupon. Use that on the stand and it ends up being $32.00 pl/tx . Can't beat it.
Jusy my .02
Old 05-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
i have the trex's front and rear and with a triple tree front adapter. theyre pretty good, id rate them A-. theyre really solid, except theyre a 2 piece design so they tend to get a little "loose" later in their life. it is nice however because its much easier to break them down flat for transport or taking to the track with limited space (theyre a PITA to fit in a trunk or back seat).

pitbulls are realllllllly nice and solid, but at the expense of more difficult to transport.

the bigger issue for the rear i would say is that you should adapt some spools some how. the rubber to swingarm just isnt all that great imo. spools make lifting the bike a hell of a lot easier and more stable.

ive also seen the HF rear stands in person, they look very very very solid
Old 05-15-2010, 08:49 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Poor man's rear spools

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
...the bigger issue for the rear i would say is that you should adapt some spools some how. the rubber to swingarm just isnt all that great imo. spools make lifting the bike a hell of a lot easier and more stable...
I slide this through the hollow rear axle and then lift the bike with the stand from there. It is a 5/16" rod with a 5/16" ID spacer on the left side to accomodate the larger opening on the sprocket side - works great.

Name:  DSC03789.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  7.7 KB
Old 05-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I made this... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...11&postcount=1

Lifts at the engine bolts, so you only need one... You can remove front and rear wheel and suspension with this and a small support under the sump...
Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well I have a Trackside one and yruyur has the Harbor Freight one (steel not the aluminum one). His is flimsy and shaky in comparison, and a bit too small for the SH (short enough that it takes a lot of effort to lift the bike). Where as mine is easy to use and much more sturdy. But for the $$ the HF one is hard to argue with.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
tweety, damn that's a sweet friggin' stand (i say sweet because of how it works) i' been intending to use a steel bar + jack stands to life the bike and unload the rear suspension, but axle pivot isnt large enough to get more than 1/4" piece of steel through there (this is on my rc51)

have woodcraft rearsets, but the exhaust is in the way.

you stand looks perfect for that kind of job!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 AM
MotoGP

It is perfect... It's easy to use on my own, and with very little effort I have had both the swingarm and the forks dismounted at the same time...

I didn't come up with the idea myself, I copied this http://www.werner-staender.de/wernerDVD.mpg
Old 05-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
I know this may be a completely stupid question, but how do you put the bike onto and off a rear stand on your own?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:56 AM
MotoGP

Using a classic rearstand that either lifts on spools or pads at the swingarm you have two options... Either put it in place, lift the bike of the sidestand while either standing far back on the side of the bike, and put a foot on the stand (check that nothing has slipped) and push down... Or stand behind the bike balancing it with your hands on the rear of the bike (walk around it from lifting it of the stand...) and then aim and lift it on the stand...

Off the stand, lift the rear part of the stand til the wheel comes down, put a hand on the bike and balance it... Drop the stand and walk around the bike to the side and get it down on the sidestand...

The reason I don't like a normal rear stand is that potential slip&drop moment where you have to balance the bike to get the stand in place... Doing it on your own is a bit awkward at best and nerv-wracking at first...

With the stan I built you stand by the side of the bike the whole time, both hands on the handlebars... Hook it too the bike, and it almost balances itself once you lift it off the sidestand... Then just use your foot to lift it... Off the stand is just as easy... One foot behind the stand, one hand on each handlebar, a short yank back-up and walk the bike backwards till the wheel touches, tilt the stand forward to let the bike down on the sidestand... In no part do you have to balance the bike with one hand and a stand with the other...
Old 05-16-2010, 12:11 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
tweety, damn that's a sweet friggin' stand (i say sweet because of how it works) i' been intending to use a steel bar + jack stands to life the bike and unload the rear suspension, but axle pivot isnt large enough to get more than 1/4" piece of steel through there (this is on my rc51)

have woodcraft rearsets, but the exhaust is in the way.

you stand looks perfect for that kind of job!
BTW if you want to copy it, the dimensions are quite simple... The two bottom pieces are 28" long in a 90 degree angle... I used 2" round tube to make the "rolling" in the lifting movement easier but I'm not sure that's neccessary... The two standing parts are one completely vertical and one slightly angled inwards to clear the sidestand and still give a wider bottom for stability and no wiggle room up top where it hooks to the bike... The measurement from the middle of the pivot bolt (where it hooks to the engine bolt) is 22.45 inches or 57 cm to the bottom of the round tube, the vertical measurement when it's standing is center of the bolt to the floor 54 cm or 21.26 inches (saves messing with angles )... The other side is longer since it's angled... The gap is 54cm between the top pices and it's basicly two 10" long 1/2 extensions one with a 17 mm socket on one and the other ground to a dull point... Two clips that lock them in place... That's all there is too it...

BTW I have since made another for a mates RC... Basicly two holes further down that hooks to the swingarm bolt on that one... Angle stays the same, as it makes for the easiest lifting and stable once up...

Last edited by Tweety; 05-16-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:48 AM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
pit bull stand

I am using the pit bull rear stand but the stand along with the rubber pads under the swingarm slide forward after the bike is up on the stand? Any ideas? thanks-Mort
Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
I made this... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...11&postcount=1

Lifts at the engine bolts, so you only need one... You can remove front and rear wheel and suspension with this and a small support under the sump...
Nice find and build

I Know what I'm doing in the shop tonight now.....
Old 07-09-2010, 08:56 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Nice find and build

I Know what I'm doing in the shop tonight now.....
Old 07-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Squid

oldgeezer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mortbike
I am using the pit bull rear stand but the stand along with the rubber pads under the swingarm slide forward after the bike is up on the stand? Any ideas? thanks-Mort
I had the exact same problem. Purchased the rubber pads and installed them on the Pit Bull stand I'd used previously on my RC with spools. Everything lifted up well and seemed ok. Then after 15 minutes I noticed the stand had slid forward almost to the header pipes. WTF? After alot of sweating I was able to wrestle the stand back to the rear of the swingarm and get the bike off the stand. The trick is to position the pads BEHIND the vertical welds at the rear of the swingarms (near the axle bolt) before hoisting the bike up. Once up, the bike now stays in place just fine. The welds prevent the rubber pads (and the stand) from creeping forward under the swingarms (see picture).

A trick I used to hoist up the bike by myself is to slip a 3/4" piece of wood under the side stand, which tilts the bike ALMOST vertically, then holding the seat (just to be safe) I walk around to the rear and hoist the bike up (I always have the stand positioned under the swingarms before doing this). I like the Pit Bull because of its heavy-duty construction.
Attached Thumbnails Rear stand recommendation.-vtr01.jpg  

Last edited by oldgeezer; 07-12-2010 at 06:29 AM.