Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Track Day Tires: Need Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Squid

redhawk4dpt is on a distinguished road
Track Day Tires: Need Recommendation

Hey guys!

I am looking for a set of tires that would be suitable for the track but mostly good for the road. It seems that the Michelin Pilot Powers and the Pirelli Diablos are general favorites but I have also been told that I don't want tires too sticky because of the flexy frame of the Hawk.

Any suggestions? I did a search on this site for tires but most of the comments were for street applications. I am also looking for comments about the combination tire choice and Hawk frame.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I've used diablos, pilot powers and pilot race series tires. Haven't noticed that "too sticky" created any adverse handling. I may not ride hard enough, but I doubt that would be a problem. A more common problem is using track tires for road use and having them be more hazardous without proper warm up and in rain/wet conditions. Depends on frequency of track use etc. Many of the newer compounds heat up quickly to get around this and many have dual compounds. Sport rider in december did a big test comparing all types of tires and I recall coming away with the impression that the sport tires tested (pilot power and dunlop qualifier) were very good on the street and gave away little on the track to the High performance sport (pilot power 2CT, and dunlop 208GP). I bought some used rims off ebay awhile back and that made it easy - just have 2 set up and save track tires for those days and street for all the other times. Makes them both last longer too.

bill
Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Squid

redhawk4dpt is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input Bill.

I guess I should clarify that I am actually looking for a set of street tires that will be adequate for the track. I probably will not ride as hard as some but I do use all of the tire.

I am leaning towards the Pirelli Diablos...Thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
You'll be happy with just about any SS tire for your first few track days, I was pulling low 30's,(which is mid pack intermediate times), on Dunlop Qualifiers and Bridgestone BT014's. If you want a little more grip go with the power 2ct's they have softer sides but the same middle section as the regular powers and the price difference is nominal but like I said they'll all work well, just be smooth out there.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
In order of preference: Supercorsa Pros, 2CT, Qualifier, and Diablo Corsas. DO NOT take regular Diablos to the track. They suck. Get the Corsas if you get them at all.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
The Diablo Corsa III is a nice soft tire and like the 2ct has a softer compound on the sides then in the middle. Sport Rider has a nice write up on them http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...res/index.html whatever you pick, welcome to the addiction!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
For you guys using some of these dual compound tires on street also, how are they? any problems with traction when you aren't able to ride aggressively?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
My friend and I just put on a set of pilot powers 2cts on the SH. Going to be doing a track day Sat. Right now just trying to scuff them up and all I can say is wow. These tires change the handling traits completly for the positive. Of course the last tires I had were the stock D204s with a flat spot from communting on the bike. Funny thing is all I could get out of those hard tires was 3600 miles. From what I have been told could probably get the same out of the top of the line street tires. PS bought them from Sportbike Track Time for $245 no tax. Outlet store is in Cleveland TN which is 30 miles away so didnt have to pay shipping either.