Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Air filter recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:44 AM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
Air filter recommendation

What do you guys recommend for an air filter?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
A clear explanation of duties required of it. A decent benefits package and fair salary. Oh, and let it know how much it means to you. Show it you care.

God, I crack me up!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:56 AM
SuperBike

WTF dude. It's a simple question, that apparently you cannot answer?
Didnt know if people usually go with stock which is $50 or spend extra for a K&N or something else.
Thanks for the 'tude.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I apologize for the attempt at humor. I could answer your question but don't really feel like writing a 200 word dissertation on the advantages/disadvantages of aftermarket air filters when you could search the forum and find multiple threads on the subject as well as detailed descriptions of the testing and adjustments done to restore the bike's driveability after installing said filter. And not to mention the possible inability of an oiled gauze filter to protect the engine from contamination.
I am now going to go pout in the corner. If you need me for anything, well, just don't bother. I'm not worthy.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I installed the K&N filter on my hawk. The power gain was small, and IMO not worth the hassle of re-jetting that it required. I didn't do my homework first and didn't realize how much it actually affected the air/fuel mixture in a carburated motor.

If I had to start over again I would hold off and only get a high flow filter if I planned to do other engine mods that would require carb tuning as well. Not including slip-ons, which by themselves usually don't call for re-jetting. By itself it just isn't that much better than stock. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:29 AM
SuperBike

I dont need a 200 page dissertation. I just was curious what everyone uses. I need a new air filter. I have 25k on the bike. It's bone stock and I have never done a thing to it. I have had quite a few bikes with heavy mods and have always had pod filters on them. Now that I have something I want to keep fairly stock, I thought I would ask if people are using stock filters or K&N or something else.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:34 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by drew_c14
I installed the K&N filter on my hawk. The power gain was small, and IMO not worth the hassle of re-jetting that it required. I didn't do my homework first and didn't realize how much it actually affected the air/fuel mixture in a carburated motor.

If I had to start over again I would hold off and only get a high flow filter if I planned to do other engine mods that would require carb tuning as well. Not including slip-ons, which by themselves usually don't call for re-jetting. By itself it just isn't that much better than stock. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks hun! Thats really what I was looking for. It's so much money for these friggin air filters I figured if I had to buy one, it should be the best one for it.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Yeah stick with stock unless you want to really spend some time getting it to run right....
Old 03-31-2007, 02:05 PM
SuperBike

excellent. Thanks so much guys!
Old 03-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ali_squidz
Thanks hun!
Hun? Are you a chick?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:55 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Hun? Are you a chick?
I was kind of wondering the same thing. Not that it matters.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by drew_c14
I was kind of wondering the same thing. Not that it matters.
Except that the leg-hump avatars will get dusted off
Old 03-31-2007, 05:57 PM
SuperBike

I dont like advertizing that because the leg humpers come out in full force. But... since you asked, yes.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:00 PM
SuperBike

That rocks! Don't worry about leg humping from me. I'm to married and to far away.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:07 PM
SuperBike

Navy squid are we? Or Marine?

The past has proven that both marriage and distance doesnt matter much anymore.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:33 PM
SuperBike

Navy squid are we? Or Marine?

The past has proven that both marriage and distance doesnt matter much anymore.
Army. Being married still matters to some of us. Beleive it or not the distance actually helps with that.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:35 PM
SuperBike

I think the only good guys left are our military men. Luckily I have a sexy Marine that keeps me warm at night. :-)
Old 03-31-2007, 09:07 PM
SuperSport

Loco
I have not done any testing Dyno-wise with my Hawk, but here's what I discovered:

I was running a dirty, stock air filter and I could do third gear power wheelies without even standing up, and 4th gear wheelies if I bounced it. All very simply.

I then changed to a K&N I had found laying around the garage. Now the bike, which ironically IS jetted to match the K&N filter with my Two Brothers Pipes, struggles through 3rd gear wheelies, and 4th gear wheelies are out of the question. The ONLY thing I changed was the air filter.

I also noticed it stumbles a lot in the low RPMs, which is good enough for me to swear off K&N filters for the VTR.

A lot of studies have indicated that the effects of K&N filters, while for most models of bikes are positive, actually reduce HP in two models: The VTR1000F and the TL1000 (I'd guess in the SV1000 also). Long story short, lot of testing, lot of bantering in forums, but it comes down to seat-of-the-pants, and my pants want the old stock filter back.

To BirdOPrey: If you didn't feel like writing a 200-word dissertation, why take the effort to write a 25-word failed bit.

P.S. - My "dissertation" was 187 words.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I dont like advertizing that because the leg humpers come out in full force. But... since you asked, yes.
Well, damn. Sorry if I offended you with "chick". Some girls don't take to it kindly. But either way, this is mainly a guys' forum, thus you are now "one of the guys". I'll be sure to ban the leg humpers if they come out.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Squid

firestorm'n is on a distinguished road
k&n

Ok here is my deal. i buought a firestorm w/ d&ds and a k&n. I think my bike runs great but I am no mechanic and I have only had one bike before.It does backfire a little when getting off the gas,but i can't say that it runs poorly with the K&N.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by firestorm'n
Ok here is my deal. i buought a firestorm w/ d&ds and a k&n. I think my bike runs great but I am no mechanic and I have only had one bike before.It does backfire a little when getting off the gas,but i can't say that it runs poorly with the K&N.
The backfire could be caused by the PAIR. I've heard some people say that they didn't have to re-jet with the K&N, but mine ran fairly lean after I put it in.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Backfire (through the carbs) or popping (through the exhaust)?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Back Marker

PAIR will cause *some* popping....but if it's excessive or consistent, you need a rejet. Mine was just "POP POP POP POP POP POW POP POP" on decel.....now it'll pop maybe twice on a decel, PAIR is not nearly as annoying as I thought it was on a good tune....
Old 04-01-2007, 09:23 AM
SuperBike

Well, damn. Sorry if I offended you with "chick". Some girls don't take to it kindly. But either way, this is mainly a guys' forum, thus you are now "one of the guys". I'll be sure to ban the leg humpers if they come out.
Im more than fine being one of the guys. Im a tom boy/farm girl thru and thru. The leg humpers probably wont come out unless they see a pic of me. LOL
No you didnt offend me at all. Im a pretty tough chick.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Birdoprey
I apologize for the attempt at humor. I could answer your question but don't really feel like writing a 200 word dissertation on the advantages/disadvantages of aftermarket air filters when you could search the forum and find multiple threads on the subject as well as detailed descriptions of the testing and adjustments done to restore the bike's driveability after installing said filter. And not to mention the possible inability of an oiled gauze filter to protect the engine from contamination.
I am now going to go pout in the corner. If you need me for anything, well, just don't bother. I'm not worthy.
Damn Bird, you got dis'd by a gurl!!!! LMAO!!!! but I did enjoy your comeback...it was well written..good job,....

You will have to forgive young Bird, he has to learn that you can't just jump right on the new people with your sick humor!! I mean that is a job for someone with a little cooth...
Old 04-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Ali, That's a hot name....

Ok, Ok,,, but you knew I would go there Hawkrider... I have been a bbbbaaad boy...
Old 04-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator
World Champion

We are currently having technical difficulties. Please stand by..........
Old 04-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

We are currently having technical difficulties. Please stand by..........
LOL....
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Squid

firestorm'n is on a distinguished road
the backfire is through the exhaust. It's really not that bad. How would I be able to tell if there is a jet kit?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:38 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
Damn Bird, you got dis'd by a gurl!!!! LMAO!!!! but I did enjoy your comeback...it was well written..good job,....

You will have to forgive young Bird, he has to learn that you can't just jump right on the new people with your sick humor!! I mean that is a job for someone with a little cooth...
You call that a comeback? Shiat son, my mom comes up with better stuff than that.

Quick Reply: Air filter recommendation