General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

RC51 riding impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:42 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
RC51 riding impressions

So my buddy and I switched it up for the ride home from work a few days ago. The very first thing I noticed, of all things, the mirrors are wayyy better. Go figure, a dedicated track machine and Honda puts useful mirrors on it and the SH's mirrors show 95% arm/elbow!
Aside from that, at the first stop sign, we chat and the first thing that comes out of my mouth: this things a brick **** house. We are definitely are going to switch more. I drove it in deep in a series of banked s turns with total confidence the first ride. Rock solid handling. My SH in those same corners isn't even close. The motor, well, I want it in my VTR! The injection was smooth with more top end rush. The seat sucks though. It's like sitting on a 2X4, and the clip-ons are too low for comfort. But the sweet soundtrack that comes out of this machine is unmatched!

I'll get some better audio soon. Check this out in the mean time. He has cut down Sato carbon pipes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o24yT9i4N1s
Name:  DSC03372-1.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  26.1 KB
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I had an SP2. I agree completely with your impressions. First track day and I was dragging knee on the 2nd lap of the first session...on street tires! The only problem I had was that it was a shitty street bike. Day-to-day and rush hour traffic is definitely not this bike's forte. Needless to say, I traded it in on the 1000RR and still have that bike....at least until I get my S1000RR.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I had an SP2. I agree completely with your impressions. First track day and I was dragging knee on the 2nd lap of the first session...on street tires! The only problem I had was that it was a shitty street bike. Day-to-day and rush hour traffic is definitely not this bike's forte. Needless to say, I traded it in on the 1000RR and still have that bike....at least until I get my S1000RR.
the new s1000rr is awesome but the touch of OCD in me just cant stand those asymetrical headlights.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I'll never see the headlights if I'm riding it all the time! But then I'd have to wash it, eh? Doesn't matter to me. Same with the fairings. I'll never see both sides at the same time. The S1000RR is at the top of the food chain right now. Not ALL the magazines rate it at the top, but then the Ducati, for example, isn't the greatest street bike either. Nor is the RSV4. Too cramped for my 6'2" tall ***. The RC8R is one of the better bikes for the street but there's no ABS, TC, and it's down about 40hp from the BMW. For daily use, I don't think you can beat the BMW.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:57 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
The bimmer just doesn't stir the soul. Now this on the other hand:

It's @ the top of my list right now. First bike I'd buy if i won the lottery. Yes the beak is well a beak, but the bike is soooo right in every aspect.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Administrator
World Champion

That IS a sharp bike, and quite like 4 bikes in one with the different engine maps and electronic Ohlins suspension. I read a lot about the bike in the mags recently and was at IMS in NYC for its unveiling with Hayden. For some reason Ducatis have not touched me like they have other people. Maybe I'm more of a function over form kinda guy, or maybe the price has turned me off. The old valve adjustment periodicity didn't help but that's no excuse now that they're at 16k. For now the Superhawk is my Multstrada.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Not quite doing it for me.
If I win the lottery I will get an RC8R even though I could not ride it to its full potential.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
my gix1ks were crazy fast but kinda characterless. i matured(got old) and sold them.
hawk is best all 'round bike i've ever had. i'll keep it foreever.
rc51 is a classic and they should still make it. i liked mine lots. if honda brought them back i'd get one.
my 1098 is a classic and drips sex appeal. not just it's looks but everything about it. prob keep it foreever too.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
I almost bought an RC51 before I purchased the Hawk. I loved everything about it but the riding position. If I was 30 years younger, I'd go for the RC. Wait, it wouldn't have been invented yet? Dang.