Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
First Ride Impressions

Ok...

I bought it new on Dec 28th...

Had managed to put 12 miles on it before plating it, with just riding up and down my road a couple times...

Today our horrible western NY weather made it to a wopping 40deg and it managed to be sunny all day...

So i get up this morning, and get a frickin call from work somebody is calling out, and wanted me to cover... I almost said no, but figured i would just ride to work... and that i did...

It actually worked out good because the ride to work was fine, but then mid day got pretty windy, but by 5pm when i left, it had calmed back down..

Bundled up in Jeans/Polo, Riding Jacket, Snow Bibs, and Winter jacket... plus turtle neck under polo, thick socks, boots, and a headband around my neck... I headed out for the first OFFICIAL ride since getting plates on my new baby...

Soooo... It was cold out, i've got new tires, and I don't trust the roads, so i slowed down for every turn, which sucks, but i've seen what cold weather and new tires can do.. (or not do, for that matter)...

Once i made it into town by work, I went out of the way for a few miles to catch some roads i could get my speed up safely on... I was impressed with the 20-120ish range... 1st gear surely gives the front end a light feeling as around 4500-5000rpm if you like it or not, if your more than 1/2 throttle, its gonna start to climb...

I was a little dissapointed with the 2nd gear though... I want to be able to snap the trottle and get some lift in 2nd, which i'm sure i will get once i've replaced sprockets and gone with 15-43, which is what i'm thinking... which may be a overkill, being that first will probably be impossible to keep down then, but while i don't ride long wheelies all the time, i do like the ability to snap the front end up without clutching... my old R6 could with no issues.. I may reconsider once i've had a chance to set up my suspension, as it may feel different once thats done... I'm told stiffen rear to get front to climb better...

Soooo... On the way home i took her into the 130-135 range on a long road... It got there quickly... It felt very comfortable at that speed, and i rarely explore much over that anyway...

The sound............... AWESOME.... man am i in love... Just sounds so mean..

Power at low RPM's... another plus.. front end light at only 4500-5000, which was like 7500+ on my inline r6... very nice to not wait for power in almost any gear.. and no need to downshift to pick up speed..

I am very happy with my choice...

I got home and installed my wheel pin stripes, which i'll post pics tomorrow.. also first ride since the lower fairing was installed...

It was only 40 degree's out today.. and at stop lights for not very long, the temp gauge was reading 205-207.. which looks high, but i am guessing is normal since its a brand new bike. I was kinda expecting lower based on low temp...

Well... just figured i would share my thoughts
Old 02-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Squid

Motohead
Cool! I didn't realize you hadn't even ridden your Hawk yet. I don't know how you northern guys cope with your winters. I think I'd be suffering some type of male gear head post-partum depression every year.

I don't think I've ever tried to get it up on the back wheel in 2nd without the clutch. I slip the clutch just a bit at about 5k-6k and twist it to 3/4 throttle and she comes up smooooooth and controlled. It probably would without the clutch, I just feel like I have more control slipping it a tad. With the 15/43 I don't like to wheelie in first, I find myself wanting to immediately click it into 2nd as quick/violently as it comes up - kinda pointless IMO. Stiffening the rear will help as it won't absorb as much of the weight transfer, but you'll really hate first if you do the 15/43.

I'm flying into BUF tomorrow on biz, hopefully it stays in the 40s...
Old 02-24-2008, 07:43 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I think they are calling for 36 and partly cloudy... so not bad for this area...

Honestly... I prefer to bring it up in 2nd instead of 1st... with stock gearing, 1st has a little room to ride it out (from what i noticed today).. If I have the 2nd gear able to pull up, i'll never even bother with 1st for a wheelie... unless its an accident..

But i'm still toying with gearing option.. I may just go -1 or +2... but possibly both...
Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
the 'ol SH seems to run pretty warm, don't be surprised to see higher temps even in colder weather.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
12 miles on the odo, and taking it to "130-135 range".
Any break-in or just maiden voyage concerns at that speed?

Call me conservative.....but that would scare the ^%* out of me.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by SD Hawk
12 miles on the odo, and taking it to "130-135 range".
Any break-in or just maiden voyage concerns at that speed?

Call me conservative.....but that would scare the ^%* out of me.
Had 12 miles on it, i'm at a very high 44 miles now.. lol

I've talked to many about the "break-in" period and they have said that honestly, you should ride it like you will normally ride it... With the exception of long high RPM run's... And it doesn't take anywhere near full throttle to get 130-135 on this thing...

And keeping from the redline mark is why I haven't figured out if it will infact come up in 2nd with no clutch yet.. I am avoiding pushing to high of rpm's while in the first 500-600 miles.. I took it to 135ish while cruising at 65 or so, then rolling on to pass a car...

and it felt very comfortable
Old 02-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
So this is a brand new bike, eh? Are you running the stock D204 tires? If so you should ditch 'em. That's 1990 technology you'd be riding on and they absolutely suck donkey *****.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
So this is a brand new bike, eh? Are you running the stock D204 tires? If so you should ditch 'em. That's 1990 technology you'd be riding on and they absolutely suck donkey *****.
Even more so if they have been sitting at the dealers for a while...
Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
My weatherbug program shows it only made it to 31 in Buffalo today... Better than the teens we had last week for a few days - more snow comming tomorrow for us though... Glad I got out in early January with mine when we had the short 60+ degree warm spell!

I took delivery of my SH on St Patricks day 2005, 30 degrees or so but had to take it for a ride anyways!!

Originally Posted by Motohead
Cool! I didn't realize you hadn't even ridden your Hawk yet. I don't know how you northern guys cope with your winters. I think I'd be suffering some type of male gear head post-partum depression every year.

I don't think I've ever tried to get it up on the back wheel in 2nd without the clutch. I slip the clutch just a bit at about 5k-6k and twist it to 3/4 throttle and she comes up smooooooth and controlled. It probably would without the clutch, I just feel like I have more control slipping it a tad. With the 15/43 I don't like to wheelie in first, I find myself wanting to immediately click it into 2nd as quick/violently as it comes up - kinda pointless IMO. Stiffening the rear will help as it won't absorb as much of the weight transfer, but you'll really hate first if you do the 15/43.

I'm flying into BUF tomorrow on biz, hopefully it stays in the 40s...
Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

It wasn't quite as nice today.. or i would have had to take it out again...

We are also getting snow tonight/tomorrow... but hopefully this is the last time and things will warm up...

Yes... stock tires... I'll run them this summer, and by then i'll probably have grown to hate them, and come up with an excuse for new tires... If i even speak of new tires right now, my wife will shoot me... I've got two sets of rims/tires for my truck.. stock 17's with 32" tires, and steel wheels with 34" swampers... My little Nissan Sentra SE-R (recently sold) work car has stock rims and tires for winter, and some sporty low profile rims/tires for summer... Soooo... mentioning buying new tires for a new bike would probably put her over the top in the tire catagory... not to mention her car got all four new tires with inspection in November... lol
Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Well, be very, very careful then. You could always "accidentally" pick up a nail or screw during an early spring ride. Then, when she asked why you have to buy a pair, tell her that you always replace motorcycle tires with the same make/model and since they don't make the D204 anymore, well....
Old 02-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Squid

Kitch is on a distinguished road
Pfft!

My ride to work has been in sub 20 degree temps lately. (that's -7 to us UK folks)

Good fun these VTR's though eh?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Well, be very, very careful then. You could always "accidentally" pick up a nail or screw during an early spring ride. Then, when she asked why you have to buy a pair, tell her that you always replace motorcycle tires with the same make/model and since they don't make the D204 anymore, well....

In the words of the Genius guy's...

"BRILLIANT" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol...Although its kinda a toss up... I could probably put them on ebay or craigslist or something and get something out of them to help pay for new ones... but them my wife will know i'm trying to upgrade.. hmmmmmmm...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 AM
SuperBike

Be creative Josh....

Originally Posted by joshuatest
In the words of the Genius guy's...

"BRILLIANT" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol...Although its kinda a toss up... I could probably put them on ebay or craigslist or something and get something out of them to help pay for new ones... but them my wife will know i'm trying to upgrade.. hmmmmmmm...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

hey rickb... wanna go riding? Its SUCH a nice day out there..
Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 AM
SuperBike

Sure, I just need to put the studded Pirelli Strada's on first then I will be right over....

Kinda like this GSX1300R:
http://www.suzukidr350.com/dirtbiket...num=1196026964

hey rickb... wanna go riding? Its SUCH a nice day out there..
Old 02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Thats frickin AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

And careful pulling into my driveway, i haven't shoveled yet..
Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
SuperBike

Thought that would get your attention - sure did get mine! Might have to set that as my winter avatar... Would be better if it was a Superhawk...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I want one...

hey... forgot to ask.. what will you be asking for the 200?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
SuperBike

$1500... KBB has it worth $1535. Needs nothing and has a few hundred miles on the tires

http://members.aol.com/rbris66/images/96dr3.jpg

I want one...

hey... forgot to ask.. what will you be asking for the 200?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

why is it so clean in that picture? lol

I rode some old dirt bikes on a farm once in Nebraska when they had a foot of snow, and it was a BLAST... I've had dirt bikes in the past, but found myself letting them sit.. So I may consider an enduro at some point... I never got into dirt bikes enough to justify it, but would love a bike that i can ride around locally on, and take the trail home if i want...

If i wasn't moving, i would probably come take a look at yours... but i'll wait till i get south and put it on my list of wants.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Have to share...

My wife got home from letting her friend who's in dental school use her for her in class student, and said she was going to meet Jen for coffee... Jen doesn't have a car, so i asked if she was also taking Jen home, and wouldn't be home anytime soon... She did the woman thing... i dunno.. i dunno what we are doing...

So anyway.. i was on ebay, and because i was bitching at her for being so damn indecisive, she said you better not buy anything...

Sooooooooooo... I sent her a text and said....

I think i just bought something on ebay.... sorry

she said what?

i said something on ebay.. lol (just had to)

so to be a dick... I just took a picture of your bike linked above and sent her a picture message of it as the thing i just bought on ebay.... said it was a good deal, so i did the buy it now option on it.. lol

boy am i in for it...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
SuperBike

LOL - maybe Jen should buy the DR200?

Have to share...

My wife got home from letting her friend who's in dental school use her for her in class student, and said she was going to meet Jen for coffee... Jen doesn't have a car, so i asked if she was also taking Jen home, and wouldn't be home anytime soon... She did the woman thing... i dunno.. i dunno what we are doing...

So anyway.. i was on ebay, and because i was bitching at her for being so damn indecisive, she said you better not buy anything...

Sooooooooooo... I sent her a text and said....

I think i just bought something on ebay.... sorry

she said what?

i said something on ebay.. lol (just had to)

so to be a dick... I just took a picture of your bike linked above and sent her a picture message of it as the thing i just bought on ebay.... said it was a good deal, so i did the buy it now option on it.. lol

boy am i in for it...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RickB
LOL - maybe Jen should buy the DR200?
ok, if my wife comes across this, i'll be in trouble... BUT.. i think Jen's a little big for a 200...

oops.. did i type that out loud
Old 02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
MotoGP

You are really trying to get yourself into trouble tonight aren't you?

I hope you have a backup plan for sleeping arangements...
Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
You are really trying to get yourself into trouble tonight aren't you?

I hope you have a backup plan for sleeping arangements...
I'll put her on the couch if i have too.. lol

I'm not worried about it... Its just almost nothing irritates me more than when you ask a simple question, and you get this hour long undecided ****, when normally they know exactly what they want to do anyway...

If a buddy call and say's he is on his way to the parts store to pick up new shocks for his truck.. and wants me to meet him there.... that means that i'll meet him at the parts house, WE will go install these shocks on his truck, he will offer a few beers, and if i've got to work the next day, i'll probably say i'll be home at 8-9 or so...

My wife's friend who has no car, wants to have coffee after her class.. that means come pick me up from school, lets stop by walmart for some thigns i need and since i don't have a car, i cain't go back out for... lets stop and have coffee (friend probably pays for coffee in exchange for ride) then they go to friends house, wife goes in for a while, then comes home...

If i already know all this... shouldn't she? lol...

i don't know why that bothers me... but it REALLY does..
Old 02-26-2008, 04:37 PM
SuperBike

Well I do have the DR350, the 996 and lets not forget the Chevy Avalanche Z71 but I don't want to part with those just yet...

ok, if my wife comes across this, i'll be in trouble... BUT.. i think Jen's a little big for a 200...

oops.. did i type that out loud
Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
MotoGP

I'll put her on the couch if i have too.. lol

I'm not worried about it... Its just almost nothing irritates me more than when you ask a simple question, and you get this hour long undecided ****, when normally they know exactly what they want to do anyway...

If a buddy call and say's he is on his way to the parts store to pick up new shocks for his truck.. and wants me to meet him there.... that means that i'll meet him at the parts house, WE will go install these shocks on his truck, he will offer a few beers, and if i've got to work the next day, i'll probably say i'll be home at 8-9 or so...

My wife's friend who has no car, wants to have coffee after her class.. that means come pick me up from school, lets stop by walmart for some thigns i need and since i don't have a car, i cain't go back out for... lets stop and have coffee (friend probably pays for coffee in exchange for ride) then they go to friends house, wife goes in for a while, then comes home...

If i already know all this... shouldn't she? lol...

i don't know why that bothers me... but it REALLY does..
Don't worry I know the exact feeling... And yes... a certain someone knows what I think about it... and if I ever try to turn the tables on her like you... I'd be happy to be sleeping on the couch... (more peace and quiet there...)
Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

In all the stupid arguements since we got married, i have NEVER slept on the couch... although she did once or twice.. lol

See I'm a sales guy.. so i can talk and talk and talk and talk and talk... So about the time she gets all ticked off, I'm over it and just antaganize her... Its like she can annoy the **** out of me with something stupid, then i'll get mad and tell her how anoying that is... lol then once she finally gets mad enough to tell me i'm being a dick, i'm over it.. then i say things just to keep her going.. lol

I know this doesn't sound like a good thing to do for a relationship... But we really never have anything real to fight about, so we sometimes just seem to **** each other off on purpose...

on a side note.. WTF is with woman and not being able to just say what they mean, or answer a question?

2 Men...

You Hungry?
- yea
Wanna grab something?
- yea, what you feel like getting?
I dunno, wanna grab a sub or something?
- yea...

1 Man, 1 Woman...

Man - hunny, are you hungry?
Woman - I don't know
Man - well do you wanna stop and get something to eat?
Woman - i don't know, we can
Man - anything specific you want?
Woman - i don't care
Man - you want to grab subs?
Woman - i don't know
Man - well then what do you want?
Woman - i don't know, just whatever
Man - well are subs ok?
Woman - I guess (then that sound they make)
Man - well if you don't want subs, what do you want...
Woman - i don't know, just not subs
Man - well just give me an idea of what type of food then, italian, mexican.
Woman - yea i guess..
Man - well which one, italian or mexican
Woman - whatever you want
Man - ok, mexican place
Woman - ok..

then as you are almost there....

Woman - i don't know if i want that
Man - what
Woman - mexican
Man - do you want italian instead
Woman - how about that chinese place

MAN at this point wants to push her out the passenger side of the car for making him go through all this when she already not only wanted chinese, but a specific place...

Any married guys than can relate? lol
Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Definitely not the best dining, but a food court may be the best bet for those situations. Except while you're there, she'll want to shop.

Quick Reply: First Ride Impressions