Impressions and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Engorged Member
Squid

FatHawk is on a distinguished road
Impressions and questions.

Hello All,

I am now the proud owner of a new (po) 03 Hawk. Bought it with 600 or so miles on the ODO.

Great bike and so far I love it, except:

It backfires through the carbs at low RPM (as I now know, this is a little common on these bikes).

High RPM low speed riding it lurches and surges alot (this may just be the nature of a big twin, I don't know)

It dies sometimes when I pull the clutch, and at stops (carb slides, right?)

And the one thing I couldn't find any info on. My bike has a little ticking in the valves. Enough that I can hear it on idle, but not super loud. I had a mechanic who has worked on a lotta bikes comment on it.

Do I need to get a valve adjustment done? The dealer pulled and cleaned the carbs b4 delivery because it sat so long. And they didn't tell me it needed a valve adjustment.

I came from an FZR600 and an SV650 so am I just being paranoid and not used to the Hawk?

What do you all think?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy
First off, welcome to the world of superhawks!!

I bought my 03 superhawk earlier this year with 1000 miles on it, everything was stock except wind screen and turn signals.

I'm not sure about the backfires and how frequent it happens, but mine does it when I roll off the gas in 1st, not often, maybe a couple times each ride, no biggie.

I've also noticed the ticking noise coming from bottom protion of the engine when it idles; to me it sounds more like exhaust noise than the actual "valve" noise. If it's the valve noise it should get louder at higher RPM. I talked to a couple friends of mine and the Honda service manager and they didn't think there's any problems with anything. It is just the nature of big V-Twins - lots of noises.

About the lurches and surges at higher RPM, I've never experienced this kind of peoblems. Again, our bikes have big V-Twins with carburetors in and it's never gonna be as smooth as inline 4's or any fuel injected bikes. Too me, I rate my Hawk as "bumpy" after experienced my buddies R1's and gixxer's but this is also why I love it so much!!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Welcome FatHawk! Hang out here for a while and you're going to meet some very interesting people with volumes of knowledge about these powerful motorcycles. The bikes are a hoot to ride and I'm sure that as you ride more you will appreciate the ride more and more. The lurching is a matter of concern but as these more experienced riders sign on tonight your questions will be answered. Be ready for a great riding motorcycle and a community of guys that can help you with almost everything you may have a question about. Again, welcome!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
greg has pretty much every answer you'll need for these problems

if that site doesnt answer them, he most likely will

http://home.nycap.rr.com/ghlbo/index.html
Old 10-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Who? Me?

Yeah, you're right, I can't resist! LOL

I suspect the "dealer" didn't clean the carbs as well as they should have, if at all. An '03 with only 600 miles did not get ridden enough, period! I suspect he may have just dumped the old fuel out of the carbs and maybe refilled the tank. I suggest bringing it back, having them pull the idle jets/emulsion tubes and thoroughly cleaning them. And tell them that since you were inconvenienced, they can set the idle mixture screws to 2 turns out and sync the carbs as well. IIRC, per the Honda service manual, carbs should be synchronized whenever they are removed.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Oh, crap! Almost forgot....

Welcome to the Forum!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:29 AM
Squid

Nighthawk is on a distinguished road
Hi and welcome...
600 miles errr converting That about 1000km so it's probably coming up on its first service... its probably only just run in.... but it does sound like the typical Big V-twin quirks...

http://www.burniemorgan.com/firestorm/vtr_maint.html
Old 10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Engorged Member
Squid

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I suspected that the dealer may be blowin smoke up my butt, but I didn't want to immaturely accuse anyone.

So all this work he may as well install a jet kit for me right?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Engorged Member
Squid

I forgot, mechanically I'm OK. Is this something I can do?

FWIW the only thing that really scares me is timing chains and being out of sync with cams and the like. Bent valves can ruin your day for sure!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yeah, carbs are pretty easy. Patience and the right tools are key. I've written up a couple of how-to's on this site. You'll have to search my posts for them.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Aha! Here it is...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=3668