General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 PM
MAB
Squid

MAB is on a distinguished road
Newbie here

Hey guys, Just want to introduce myself. My name is Mark, I got my superhawk about a month ago and now I'm finally getting around to joining the forum. This is also my first bike.......unless you consider the bike in my avatar a motorcycle, so I'm a newbie when it comes to motorcycles in general. I have been doing my research though so hopefully I dont ask too many stupid questions.

My bike is a 98 with 63k miles on it. I attached some photos of my bike down below. They're not too good; I need to get around to taking better ones. As you can see, one of the previous owners tried to polish the frame. Its cloudy and you can still see the sanding scratches . I'm not a fan of polished frames, but I think my only option to make it look decent is to re-polish it.

Also, Could any of you let me know if my rear rectifier is from a later model hawk? I've looked at the r/r posts and the stock ones I've seen don't have fins, assuming this has already been replaced.

The bike still has the stock cct's so once I get some spare change. I'm going to replace those.

When I was looking for a motorcycle I was considering an FZ-6, Fz-1, and the Superhawk. I hope you guys agree with me that I made the better choice .

Attached Thumbnails Newbie here-100_0347.jpg   Newbie here-100_0348.jpg   Newbie here-100_0349.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Back Marker

superh1998 is on a distinguished road
Definitely not the original r/r.
I actually like the black w/red stripes down the middle..looks pretty good.
Congratulations!
Old 07-17-2010, 07:52 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
welcome, nice looking bike. you will love it. you have my vote on the right purchase!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
That's not an R1/R6 piece (they are almost twice that big), probably a later year finned or aftermarket replacement, notice the stock wiring harness.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Welcome MAB, and congrats on the bike! I'd agree that you made the right choice ( of course most of us here on the forum might be slightly biased )

If you don't want the frame polished, you could look at painting it black... I've seen a few examples here on the forums that looked like they came out pretty good.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:45 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome! The rectifier is an aftermarket unit made by Electrosport IIRC. As for the frame, you could use a Scotch Brite pad to get the "brushed' look back then clear coat it... or as suggested, paint it black.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Welcome Mark. Is that LA in your location representative of Los Angeles, Louisiana or Lower Alabama?

FWIW, I like the polished frame, however that little white strip around the bottom of tank would have to go.

Last edited by RWhisen; 07-18-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:07 AM
MAB
Squid

MAB is on a distinguished road
Rwhisen, LA's for los angeles, thanks for pointing that out. That strip on the gas tank is actually chrome. Its pretty cheesy looking. I'm gonna take it off when I got the bike taken apart to replace one of the fork seals... just gotta get around to it.

Inderocker, Are the Electrosport IIRC rectifiers reliable. Should I expect this one to burn out like the stocks?

Thanks for all the greetings so far.

To those suggesting painting the frame.. I really wish I had the time and money. I was thinking about powder coating the frame black and painting the fairings white, but I'm a broke college student so I'm short on both time and money.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, I can't comment on their reliability as I've never used one.