SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Newbie here (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/newbie-here-23188/)

MAB 07-17-2010 06:53 PM

Newbie here

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, Just want to introduce myself. My name is Mark, I got my superhawk about a month ago and now I'm finally getting around to joining the forum. This is also my first bike.......unless you consider the bike in my avatar a motorcycle, so I'm a newbie when it comes to motorcycles in general. I have been doing my research though so hopefully I dont ask too many stupid questions.

My bike is a 98 with 63k miles on it. I attached some photos of my bike down below. They're not too good; I need to get around to taking better ones. As you can see, one of the previous owners tried to polish the frame. Its cloudy and you can still see the sanding scratches :mad:. I'm not a fan of polished frames, but I think my only option to make it look decent is to re-polish it.

Also, Could any of you let me know if my rear rectifier is from a later model hawk? I've looked at the r/r posts and the stock ones I've seen don't have fins, assuming this has already been replaced.

The bike still has the stock cct's so once I get some spare change. I'm going to replace those.

When I was looking for a motorcycle I was considering an FZ-6, Fz-1, and the Superhawk. I hope you guys agree with me that I made the better choice ;).

superh1998 07-17-2010 07:29 PM

Definitely not the original r/r.
I actually like the black w/red stripes down the middle..looks pretty good.
Congratulations!

98VTRrider 07-17-2010 07:52 PM

welcome, nice looking bike. you will love it. you have my vote on the right purchase!

Syclone 07-17-2010 10:10 PM

That's not an R1/R6 piece (they are almost twice that big), probably a later year finned or aftermarket replacement, notice the stock wiring harness.

AngryOlaf 07-18-2010 12:14 AM

Welcome MAB, and congrats on the bike! I'd agree that you made the right choice ( of course most of us here on the forum might be slightly biased :D )

If you don't want the frame polished, you could look at painting it black... I've seen a few examples here on the forums that looked like they came out pretty good.

inderocker 07-18-2010 12:45 AM

Welcome! The rectifier is an aftermarket unit made by Electrosport IIRC. As for the frame, you could use a Scotch Brite pad to get the "brushed' look back then clear coat it... or as suggested, paint it black. ;)

RWhisen 07-18-2010 05:54 AM

Welcome Mark. Is that LA in your location representative of Los Angeles, Louisiana or Lower Alabama?

FWIW, I like the polished frame, however that little white strip around the bottom of tank would have to go.

RickB 07-18-2010 02:49 PM

Welcome to the forum!

MAB 07-19-2010 01:07 AM

Rwhisen, LA's for los angeles, thanks for pointing that out. That strip on the gas tank is actually chrome. Its pretty cheesy looking. I'm gonna take it off when I got the bike taken apart to replace one of the fork seals... just gotta get around to it.

Inderocker, Are the Electrosport IIRC rectifiers reliable. Should I expect this one to burn out like the stocks?

Thanks for all the greetings so far.

To those suggesting painting the frame.. I really wish I had the time and money. I was thinking about powder coating the frame black and painting the fairings white, but I'm a broke college student so I'm short on both time and money.

inderocker 07-19-2010 01:12 AM

Sorry, I can't comment on their reliability as I've never used one.