General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Member....thinking about a VTR....got questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Squid

rcmay is on a distinguished road
New Member....thinking about a VTR....got questions!

I'm seriously considering buying a new motorcycle soon. With the prices of gas these days, I can pay for the note and the insurance with the money I will save on gas on my 60 mile round trip daily commute. I started riding 4-5 years ago, my first bike was a 1980 CB650 for about 6 months, then a 03 CBR 600rr rode it for a year and moved to FL and sold it beforehand. Then I purchased a 01 929rr from a friend and rode it for 3 months before he had to buy it back from me. Ive been trying to research the types of bikes I would like to own and what will suit be the best. First off, I love sportbikes I love hitting the twisties out in the country, but I need something that will be comfortable enough to ride 60 miles a day. Ive been thinkng about several different bikes and the Superhawk is high on my list. Im also considering a VFR 800 but a newer one can be quite expensive for what Im getting IMO. Im also looking at a Suzuki DL650 Vstrom, I like the fact that I can purchased a brand new one for probably less than $6k, but I dont know if its sporty enough for me. And last but not least is an RC51, probably not the most practical for me, but its always been my dream bike and I might just be able to suffer through the long commute with that big Vtwin ringing in my ears! So Ive been out of the motorcycle game for about 2 years, and I need your guys opinions. Lemme have em!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:42 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Well you ought to know we are going to be VTR biased.

If i were commuting that far each day and still wanted a fun sportbike that is comfortable i would look seriously at the SV650S or SV650 2003 or later model.

They are a blast to ride and IMHO the best bang for the buck. 03 or later model is FI.

My GF has and 05 S model and we converted it from clip-on's to handle bars buy purchasing the upper triple tree clamp and all of the stock bar stuff.

The VTR get about 30 to 36 MPG average depending on mods to carbs, pipe etc. Some get more than that if they run in the upper two gears alot, but who the heck want to do that. 3rd and 4th are awesome.

Stock seat is a ball killer, replacement is a must for confort. Some but clip-on aftermarket relocators to move the ride position up and back, but stock is good for me. The VTR ride position is not as radical as you other sportbike you mentioned, so you might like it.

V-Twin rock and are the best thing on the road, save a good street legal SuperMoto, which is 10 times more fun than a sport bike and can eat them alive in the twisties.

The Strom is a nice bike, a buddy of mine has the 1000cc version and a Kawi 750 sportbike, and i swear he ride the Strom faster and smoother than the Sportbike he has.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

synaptik is on a distinguished road
i commute the 60 miles each way to work as often as weather permits on my hawk .... have only had it about a month and i love it .... not the fastest bike out there but fast enough for me for sure .... very smooth powerband, comfortable riding position .... but in my exp with every bike i have owned the seat could use some more cushion but i think that is with all bikes even my cruisers made my butt hurt after a few hours ... the hawk is very flickable to me at 160 pounds in the twisties ... i have not ridden a vstrom but had an older vfr and i like my hawk much better but have not been on a 4th gen + vfr either ..... all in all a great bike and a great group of people here to help you out :-)

the only downside i have is that i get about the same gas mileage i get in my civic on the hawk

just my $.02
Old 04-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
You'll be gassing up every two days with the 'Hawk, but it's an awesome bike. But this is obviously a biased stage. I believe there are a few people here (at least) that have experience w/ both......
Old 04-11-2008, 11:36 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
SV650 would be a more logical commuter, but I love my SH, it has so much soul and is so fun and easy to ride..

However my Camry gets the same MPG as my SuperHawk.. Thus I commute in my cage and play on my SH.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Squid

krcrawford29 is on a distinguished road
I got 43 mpg on my last tank which was all commuting. That's with Jardine's, k&n and a dynojet kit. It all depends on how you drive. Plus, half of my commute is city. I think it is a great road tool, fun or commute. The VTR does more than many other bikes can, and does it well. The only bike I might trade up to would be an SV1000.
$.02
P.S. scratch the SV, I'm thinking '08 CBR 1000 !!!
Old 04-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
For a commutor bike the 650 will do better on fuel than the SH. The fun factor of the SH is a lot mor ethan the 650. If you take it easey with the throttle on the SH you can get decent fuel milage. That is really tough to do since it is a lot more fun to be twisting the throttle a lot.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Squid

rcmay is on a distinguished road
krcrawford, do you think an SV1000 is an upgrade from a 'Hawk?
Old 04-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
I too got out of riding for a few years back (started on two wheels when I was 16) - but then decided to get back into it two years ago. I always had Interceptors and VFR's, but guess what way I went when I finally bought a bike again?? I love my SH, it's torquey, responsive, and quick - plus it sounds cool as hell w/ some pipes. You'll love the bike - someone said earlier that it does everything well, and he is right. My buddy has an '02 Interceptor, and even he likes the SH - in fact we both decided the stock seat on the SH is more comfortable than the stock seat on the Interceptor. Go w/ the Hawk man, you won't be disappointed...
Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Ok, I'll chime in. The Suzuki DL650 V-Strom is the most practical choice, but let's admit it, they're ugly. The VFR is the most refined bike, comfy, handles great and has that very cool V-4. I own one. Would be a great choice. The RC-51 will be unpleasant as a commuter, but that's where the Superhawk comes in. The motor sounds and feels like an RC-51, but the riding position and suspension are much more pleasant for street riding. You could have the sound of that big V-twin ringing in your ears without the suffering.

The Superhawk IMO is very underrated. Think of it as a Japanese Ducati or an RC-51 for the street, for whatever reason they are not really that popular. Not a Gixxer or Busa I guess. Of the 3 bikes that I own, I would rate them like this: CBR1000RR- the most performance, VFR800- the most refined, and the VTR1000- the most character and the most fun. It has a comfortable riding position, smooth air flow, torquey motor, bad-*** V-twin sound, and is just as happy commuting down the highway as it is ripping through the canyons, and the real clincher here is that you can get one for next to nothing. Unreal. Even though I have 2 other really great bikes, I can't bring myself to part with my Superhawk, I just like it too much. My 2 cents.

Good luck in your search.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Squid

krcrawford29 is on a distinguished road
rcmay,
I haven't ridden one, but it is newer, has good commuting potentiall, and a good motor. I believe the hawk is dated on a side by side comparison, that is all. In the end, the hawk has WAY more character, and, just guessing, is more fun to ride. The hawk is also WAY cheaper. Hawks for life bro