Looking at this bike tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 11:02 PM
Squid

sdguero is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Looking at this bike tomorrow

Hey guys,

04 HONDA 996 SUPER HAWK 5000 MILES CHEAP

I'm going to look at this bike tomorrow night. I'm somewhat handy, I've fixed up a Katana and a Nighthawk that were in similar condition. I've always thought the VTR would be a great bike to own.

Any tips on VTR specific issues to look for when I look at the bike? I'm assuming the left side mirror, clutch, pegs, fairing etc are broken and need to be replaced. If the tank is OK I think the price is also OK.

I love fixing up vehicles that just need a little TLC.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
SDGuero
Old 09-22-2016, 12:32 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
GRAB IT! Use search in this forum, a little suspension work (DMr), Manual CCT's, Erics lightened flywheel and you'll have a great low mileage bike.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
That's very cheap. Damage on left side and that's the side they leave partially covered in the pic. C'mon man!
I'd go for it assuming there isn't much broken on it.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:19 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
What CaryDG said.
If i were in San Diego I would be racing you to get there first.
A low mile, unmolested, mechanically sound example doesn't come along very often.
First thing is to deal with is the CCT's.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Squid

Thanks guys. I'm heading over to look at it in a couple hours. I'll let you know if I purchase.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:06 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
worth it. get it.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Squid

Angry It was a bust. :-(

Originally Posted by finepooch
worth it. get it.

I wish it was man. We drove out (place was out in the sticks) and the bike is completely thrashed. The entire left side is destroyed, looks like the bike went down at 60+ MPH. Left side pipe was badly kinked, radiator (I assume it was the radiator) was bent up, tank had a huge dent/scratch in it. The entire left side fairing was just gone. "Just cosmetic" my ***. He claimed the frame was in OK shape but there was really no way to tell. I didn't even want to try and start it.

The ad and what he told me on the phone were super misleading. As we were leaving I told the guy he should put up a pic of the damage and be more forthcoming on the phone so other people don't waste their time driving out to his house and he started talking about how he not a liar and owns a bunch of guns. Really shitty situation. Just a redneck ******* looking to rip someone off. He had a bunch of other beat down bikes and some jet skis in his dirt driveway. Most of them were not even covered, just roasting in the east county sun.

Anyway I'm pretty bummed about it but still glad I went out as I'd be pissed if hadn't at least checked it out.

Thanks for reading and if I ever end up with a Superhawk I'll be back on these forums.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:34 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Damage on left side and that's the side they leave partially covered in the pic. C'mon man!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:55 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
ah crap man, that sucks. and i got the BS flag, lol
if you want a deal on a hawk here it is. i have no connection to the seller and i would profit zero from him selling his bike. i have two hawks already, a duc 1098, dirt bikes, etc... i still went to look at this bike about a month ago. it is in good condition. $2000cad is about $1500-$1600usd. the poor old guy(about 60) has had this bike on kijiji about a year. nobody wants these bikes here in atlantic canada. he bought a new bmw and just cannot move the vtr. it is a shame really. too bad you are so far away in california.
VTR1000 Firestorm 2000.00 firm | sport bikes | Fredericton | Kijiji
Old 09-24-2016, 06:46 AM
Squid

COBulldog is on a distinguished road
This sucks. Before I bought my Hawk about a month ago, I was looking at some different options. One was a Triumph Daytona, which was allegedly "just knocked over with a few scratches." RIGHT! The guy sent me pics, and the whole left side fairing was badly rashed.

The bike had been laid down at speed, and he was super misleading. I offered him a fair price due to the price of the plastics I was looking at buying to fix the damage. He got all indignant and said he was "just going to sit on it until next summer."
Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Eh I know the feeling. You get your hopes up and then it's a big letdown but you probably made the right choice-if it's really trashed then it ends up being a bigger headache than it's worth. The deals are out there. Sometimes it's easiest (and often cheapest in the long run) to pay a little more for a clean original low mile bike. But we all like little projects and it's fun to do some fixin' and make it "ours." If so the deals are out there. I've bought several superhawks under a grand that either needed say TLC and carb work from sitting or light damage (but not "trashed") that were otherwise clean solid bikes. You were probably better off passing on that. He HAS to sell it, you don't HAVE to buy it, especially if he's an a-hole. There are others...
Old 09-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
"Sometimes it's easiest (and often cheapest in the long run) to pay a little more for a clean original low mile bike."

This sentence has much merit. There are nicely maintained (sometimes properly modded) examples for $2,500 out there.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:20 PM
Squid

sabermammoth is on a distinguished road
I just purchased a 98 superhawk with 23k. The bike frankly scared be a little because I had done my homework on this bike by reading a bit of the forums here. The cct is making noise at low rpm's and when above 2k the noise is gone. I used this as a bargaining tool and got the bike, new front tire, voltage regulator and something else I forget. The bike had been sitting for 6months in a garage so I am thinking I need to tune the carbs also.

What sucks is I drove the bike home 5 days ago and have not started it . I am waiting on the manual CCT's to come in the mail. Not going to risk it. The bike ran fine on the way home (which was 1hr 15mins away). I really wanna ride it but I know (with my luck) it will mess up.

From what I have read the manual cct is fairly easy to install. I have 1 question though. Could you also take out the spark plug and put something in there to judge if you are at TDC?
Old 09-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Just follow this easy tutorial and you won't have any problems. Lots of pictures to help you along the way.
www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:16 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sabermammoth
Could you also take out the spark plug and put something in there to judge if you are at TDC?
The problem with this is you may not know if you are on the compression stroke.
EDIT: For me it was all about piece of mind. I simply felt I had to zip tie the chains tight to the cams to avoid the risk of a jump.

Last edited by Wolverine; 09-30-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:42 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
As wiser ones than me have said, you should really remove the valve covers when doing a manual CCT install. Not, IMO, because of the TDC issue. That is easy to determine. It's because of getting the tension on the CCT's correct. Unless you have done many of these installs and double checked by removing the valve covers and measuring the slack, doing it by feel/sound will be just luck that the tension is right. You absolutely do not want to have the CCT's overly tight. The cams run in journals that are just part of the head casting.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:04 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Wolverine and Xeris, cam covers off, zip tie the cams, when the first MCCT is installed set the slack in the chain and repeat for the second, piece of mind indeed!
Old 10-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Squid

Rocket Rider is on a distinguished road
Very cool
Attached Thumbnails Looking at this bike tomorrow-image.jpeg