General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New guy looking at a Hawk tomorrow, pretty excited

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Back Marker

smack doogle is on a distinguished road
New guy looking at a Hawk tomorrow, pretty excited

Okay, I've been looking for a new (used) bike for a few months now. My list comprised of
1. 2003 SV1000N
2. Buell XB9S or XB12S (yeah, yeah I know)
3. VTR1000.
None of which anyone has ever owned in New England or if they have they don't sell any of those bikes after they are bought the first time. I looked, I put up want ads on craigslist, you name it until...........tonight I re-searched craigslist and found a 02 Superhawk. Basically all stock going for $4300. I'm going up tomorrow to take a look but I would like some input from the gang here. What are some things to look for? The bike will be for commuting daily with the weekend trip to the mountains. Will this bike be good for that? I'm 6'2" and about 220lbs. Will 300 mile days be feasible? Okay, now that I've found this board I'll be here all night educating myself.

-Jack
Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Squid

thepathlesstaken is on a distinguished road
Well I have never had a Superhawk but even with the limited tank 300 mile days should not be a problem as my Hawk GT has the same tank range (125+ miles between stations). I have easily done 300-800 mile days on my Hawk GT.

The Superhawk has a bit of a foward riding position and you might want to get some clip ons with some rise to them (search the forum) so it will be a more comfortable ride.

The first thing to sort out with any bike is the tires (are they old, check the DOT on them) and then the suspension. The SHawk is woefully under sprung in the front especially for a 220# rider.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:52 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Jack,

You must be looking at the wrong time. I too am in New England, and for a while, there were about 6 SHs for sale. I bought mine just west of Springfield.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Erik
Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, if anyone sees one at Pilgrim power sports in Plymouth (MA) STAY AWAY, unless you're getting it for free. I happened to notice them selling a lot of plastics for the SH on Ebay, and this afternoon I went with a friend to drop a car off at a shop that happens to be next to Pilgrim. I saw a Yellow SH out front and walked over to take a look. If the plastic was off, it could be mistaken for a salvage bike, oil everywhere, chain incredibly loose, cans all scraped up, new bar ends and pegs though. Basically a very neglected bike, but miraculously there wasn't nick or scratch anywhere on the plastics, almost like they sold all the old stuff and put new ones on. I was a little surprised to see this at a bike dealer. I feel sorry for the person who buys it and discovers how bad it really is. Sorry for the rant.

Doug O.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
Jack,

Welcome! I'm 6'3 195 lbs and the most uncomfortable thing about my hawk is the corbin seat, go figure. I'm usually pretty burnt out after 300 miles but that's usually some hard riding. I'm not in much pain, just burnt.

Check out the group rides section. Plans are already in the works for a NH/MA season kickoff. There are quite a few here from southern NH and northern MA. Looking forward to spring myself.

Good luck with the search!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Back Marker

Nice, I like the motivation you all are giving me. Up until today I thought I was gonna have to settle for a ZRX1200. I looked at one last weekend, low miles and pristine but I just couldn't see myself enjoying it. The guy hadn't started it since Aug. so when he tried to start it for me he was confused why the battery died so quick and the bike didn't start. I made a low offer, left and haven't heard from him since. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Lengthy ride up to Manchester but I think it'll be worth it.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Back Marker

434josh is on a distinguished road
I was in the same boat you are in. I was riding a sv 650 and looking for another v-twin. I wanted a buell xb12r but the local dealer was out. I looked at the new 1125r and even test rode it. The I happened to come across a sweet black 04 SH. I test rode it and bought it immediately. The 1125r was faster but the hawk was more comfortable and fun to ride.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:10 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smack doogle
. . .I'll be here all night educating myself.

-Jack
It really takes months of reading and a lot of work and some coin. Guys your size should have no problems with ergos. There are several members here with your dimensions.

A 300 mile day is a big day on a Superhawk if you're on fun roads. It's like crawling around on a 3 dimensional time machine for three hours.

Mechanical issues are front brakes, the cam chains, the front suspension. Some of this may have been done already. For riders lighter than yourself the rear shock needs to be changed as well.

Good tires are essential to the Superhawk. There's plenty of options out their - just keep them fresh.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:38 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Hey SD

I have a clean, well sorted 99 Superhawk for sale for about the same price.

All the 'right' mods....Ohlins, Racetech, sargent, heli bars and much much more.

Original owner, adult rider.

Ping me at geoffrey dot helmes at sympatico dot ca if you are interested.

Geoff in Almonte
Old 02-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Back Marker

Uh Oh! There is one less SH for sale in New England. Yep, I bought it. Only about 3400 miles on it. Never been dropped, not even a scratch on the tank and there's no tank protector. Oil looks brand new through the glass. Very nice and clean so I had to take it for $4300. I'm happier than a pig in s#$t. Unfortunately it would not start due to it bieng only about 15 degrees outside. He's going to keep it in his buddies heated garage and let it warm up. We will exchange money for title on Monday once I hear it running and take for a spin but I can't see anything on the bike that would keep me from taking her home. Supposed to be above 50 on monday but rainy and that's the best for the week to come it looks like. Thanks for the replies and I'll definitely be keeping a watch for New England get together's and rides.
VTRGeoff-thanks for the heads up but I think I'm gonna stick with this.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats, if thats the red one from Craigs, it looked like a good deal, sounds nice- enjoy. Now for the mods...

Doug O.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Good luck with that!

Once a VTR is properly sorted, it makes a most excellent ride.

G
Old 02-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Back Marker

I spoke to soon!!! The bike still will not start so no money for title exchange yet. He said he would try to take it in to the dealership and have them get it running and have them check everything over. It is now Wed. and I'm getting anxious. I was supposed to have the bike in my garage on Monday. No word yet on if he even brought it in to the dealer. Damn money is burning a hole in my pocket. The only things keeping me from shopping around is the temp.'s for the next few days (less than 40), the condition of the bike and I don't like screwing a guy over, I told him if he got it running fine I'd take it. How long does that promise last? I don't wanna be a dick. Maybe I'm just bieng impatient and I need to cool my jets.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:04 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smack doogle
I spoke to soon!!! The bike still will not start so no money for title exchange yet. He said he would try to take it in to the dealership and have them get it running and have them check everything over. It is now Wed. and I'm getting anxious. I was supposed to have the bike in my garage on Monday. No word yet on if he even brought it in to the dealer. Damn money is burning a hole in my pocket. The only things keeping me from shopping around is the temp.'s for the next few days (less than 40), the condition of the bike and I don't like screwing a guy over, I told him if he got it running fine I'd take it. How long does that promise last? I don't wanna be a dick. Maybe I'm just bieng impatient and I need to cool my jets.
Give him some time. Maybe run by the shop he has it at and ask them some ?'s about it, casually "just happen to be looking at gear" of course....
Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the classic sitting bike syndrome: old gas, a weak battery and then add in the really cold temps (thick oil)= a very unmotivated bike!

If it's the original battery, make sure you get a new one. Check for rust IN the tank also.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 AM
SuperBike

Here's a couple for sale in the Boston area
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/575892640.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/579818903.html

1 in NH:
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/565694478.html

1 in ME:
http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/569813518.html

Some in NY:
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/572723410.html
http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/576109871.html

Maybe one of these might work out for you.

Erik

Last edited by Erik S.; 02-20-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added more listings
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
Here's one for sale in the Boston area
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/575892640.html
Ummm, see post #4 in this thread.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:14 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superbling
Ummm, see post #4 in this thread.
Didn't even put 1 and 1 together. Nice catch.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Back Marker

Erik S. Thank you very much. #2, the one in medford looks nice, lots of goodies. I'm going to give the guy I'm working with now a few more days. But, at least now I have some others to fall back on if this doesn't work out. Thanks again for all the replies. This warm welcome and encouragement to get a hawk and not something else really says a lot about the forum and the type of people here who help and offer time and effort. Very close nit group I must say and that says alot for the bike itself. I think I may want a SH more now.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
If it's been sitting for more then a month, it may be as simple as a dead battery, cold soaked, or it could have plugged pilot jets and need them cleaned.. Or it could be something more.... Guess if your asking us here,,, your not intested in asking him to drop the price and you take it as a project????? I take it , it turns over but does not fire? Or does it not even turn over?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Back Marker

It turns over but nothing. Regardless he said he's taking it to the dealer. He said he wouldn't sell it if it wasn't 100%.
Could you guys tell me what you think a fair price for this is
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/579818903.html
It has peaked my interest with all the goodies on it. I'm unsure if $4500 is fair or not. What would you all offer? The pristine, yet not running, bike I'm looking at in NH is for $4300, a 2002 also but with only 3400 miles. The 2002 posted above in Medford has a lil over 13000 but it's got lots of goodies. If both were running well, clean and rode fine which is the better deal. I'm so confused right now. My wife is no help (married for 8 years and yet I expect the opposite, wtf is wrong with me) Anyway, thanks is advance.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Back Marker

any input? suggestions? comments?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
13k is just getting started.. I have over 50k on mine, and others have over 100k on theirs.

So don't let that put you off. Over all condition is more important than miles with these bikes.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Back Marker

Yaahoooo!!!!!! I just bought the 2002 SuperHawk w/ 13121 miles. Very very clean. Ridiculous actually. I thought I was **** and the sound from the CF Muzzy exhaust was music. Now I have to sit and wait for the insurance and registration and the damn snow to melt. Then it's game time. Thanks for all the input and help. I may be selling the lower fairings and the hugger also. They both are very clean and I'm not sure I like the look. Oh, I can get the stock exhaust if anyone wants it. I guess I'm running on now.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Squid

Igmortis is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your purchase.....You're gonna LOVE it!! Watch out for the idiots around you! I will pray that God watches out for ya!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Does it have manual CCT's yet? Not that with an 02 and so few miles it'd be a huge worry. But eventually you probably should do it.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Back Marker

Igmortis, thanks for the prayers. I bought the 02 with higher miles(13XXX). It was anally maintained and well kept with Pyramid lowers and hugger, braided brake lines, muzzy cf exhaust, jet kit, k&N filter, and lots of little goodies. Runs super great. Rode it home tonight and all I can say is I'm hooked. I'm ordering a sprocket kit from parts411 (DID gold chain and 16/43 Sunstar sprockets) since it's still running the originals and I'll order the APE CCT also from ebay at the same time. I'll probably pick up some feeler gauges to check the valves while I'm in there doing the CCT's. So now the pretty chicken sits and waits for the preventive maintenance. It's gonna be to cold to ride still for the next few weeks anyway so I might as well get this stuff out of the way now and not have anything to do this entire riding season but ride. Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably start a new thread but does anyone know where I can rent a chain tool (riviter/breaker) in New England?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:32 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You can own a good kit for about a hundred bucks. Search around. With the economy the way it is, there's some deals out there. IIRC the DiD kit was the best and most inclusive.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Back Marker

Thanks nuhawk. I'll definitely shop around. The cheapest kit I found was for $170 and if I can find cheaper I will run with it.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW, I noticed you're in the Navy. The forum mod. - Hawkrider - is Navy also & lives in NY.

Quick Reply: New guy looking at a Hawk tomorrow, pretty excited