General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Just might have to buy me a NEW BUELL

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
That'd be impressive...looking forward to seeing it and testing it out.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Squid

CB160 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
You know I really don't understand the hate for Harley engines.. I mean things like OHC etc were invented in the 1900's, it's not like a "modern" engine is all that modern. The fact that they can get ~100hp from a air cooled pushrod engine is a testament to some decent design effort. True there are other ways of doing things, but really most my buddies that ride harleys get better gas milage than my SH, and usually get there just as fast because the speed limit don't change, and smoky watches us all.

Edit: first DOHC engine 1912 so DOHC = ancient design too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOHC
Old 07-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Squid

Hooray, Lazn! Let'em havit. Fowl Tecno-snobs and "purists"!! Sic'em! Put the boot to 'em. I've never had a U.J.S.B. ( universal Japanese Sportbike) make the little hairs on my neck stand on end. But my antiquated '84 Sportster makes me " Godzilla in downtown Tokyo". I like my SuperChicken, it's great for what I paid for it. Taught me how far bikes have come in performance and handling. But, have you ever scratched your dog's ear and had his eyes roll back in his head, and his rear foot start to thump the ground in response? Ever scratch a cat's back, right where the tail attaches? These images, friends are what Harleys do for a whole lot of people.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Well, at the risk of putting my shoulder out of socket by patting myself on the back, I saw this one coming. I actually posted on the Buell forum that the days of water cooled engines are upon them. A lot of them are not so thrilled about it. In fairness, most seem to be really into the idea of a new bike, but I guess the "die hard purists" just don't feel that it's right. I saw several comments about the fact they need to hide the engine, since it "has all that ugly stuff on it".
At any rate, I kinda liked the "old school" buell. In fact, some of you may remember I was going to buy an XB9X cityx when I happened upon the SuperHawk, too good to pass up.
I still plan to get one in a few years, but as much as I like the new bike, it doesn't have the "streetfighter" styling and riding position I love in the XB series.
Anyway, if you'll excuse me, I have to go ice my shoulder. Ow.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superhawk22
That must of been the un-official release!
Don't know for sure, HD and Buell have a week long show in Nashville for Dealers and partners, they are still here
Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
The bike sounds great! I have been waiting for buell to put a more modern engine in their bikes for a while. Just have to wait a couple more years to pick up used one. I hate buying new vehicles.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Are you insinuating that the 45 degree air-cooled long stroke OHV two-valve V-twins used up to now are not modern? Is that what I'm reading mister?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Why do we ride a Jap Ducati? Because it's fun and it's reliable.

If I wanted to pick my bike parts up off the road I would have bought a Buell and spent a lot of time fixing it on the weekends when I should have been riding. At a much higher $$ cost.

The push rod v 45 twin has it's limits and they were reached a long time ago. Otherwise Buell wouldn't be re-thinking what to do the compete.

It's about time and when they hit the show room I'll be there writing a check. It's about time we had a modern American sport bike that can compete!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Lefin102
Why do we ride a Jap Ducati? Because it's fun and it's reliable.

If I wanted to pick my bike parts up off the road I would have bought a Buell and spent a lot of time fixing it on the weekends when I should have been riding. At a much higher $$ cost.

The push rod v 45 twin has it's limits and they were reached a long time ago. Otherwise Buell wouldn't be re-thinking what to do the compete.

It's about time and when they hit the show room I'll be there writing a check. It's about time we had a modern American sport bike that can compete!
Buell isn't offering something other than the Sportster-derived motor because it's " reached it's limit" as you opine, but to reach a different rider segment. And BTW, I've got an '84 Sporty and have NEVER lost parts in the street!How long ya gonna keep YOUR machine?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
C'mon now CB160...no need to get the hackles raised...its well documented that Buells over the years (older models especially) had a tendency to rattle parts off. They have come a long way...not saying that the old sporty motor is bad, but let's not beat around the bush, they vibe hard, and Buell had a hard time, for a long time, getting that under control for the sporting application they chose to use it in. I think this newest iteration takes it to a new level of...umm....refinement?

-R
Old 07-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Superstock

CB16
You'r right in one sense I went over a little but in the real world Buells can only compete with other Buells. Harley almost never fininshed a race with the V-rod motor either.

How hard can you push you'r sporty? Can you race it and win? Will it stay together? Do you think the CBR600 in front of you will ever get to see you tail light? It ain't happening.

I own two late modle Harley's an 01 fat boy and a 03 Road King. Great bikes and I only bought the fat boy because they put counter ballancers in the soft tails.

If they make a bike that can bring the heat to the Japs I'm in. We have been waiting too long. Don't you think! Wouldn't it be nice to see a Buell win or place in a race dominated by the big four.

BTW I bought the first V rod in my county that was sold. Its ashame they couldn't do more with that motor. They gave up!0,
Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Superstock

Now the first on the list at Ocean Co. Buell De dede
Old 07-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Squid

All right,Wyldryce... Let me confess.I bought my '84 Sportster new, while working P&A for a multi-brand Asian bike dealer. Starter went out while fairly new (DIDN'T fall off!) . I was mocked and scorned and jeered mightily! I just push-started it til it was fixed under warranty. Rode it from N.Y.C. (area) to the Syracuse Mile. On the way back, I could have lights or spark, but not Both @ one time! VVVeeerrry interesting white-knuckle ride by moonlight for quite a few miles! AND YET..... I STILL have it and I STILL love it. Refinement,you say..? Ok, I'd like to move up to an '04 or newer rubber-mount and get that 5th gear ! I was blessed to ride Ducati's Hypermotard recently, ( plus the S4RS, the GT 1000, KTM's 950 Supermoto and SuperDuke 990)... They put a "smile on my dial" They are all "nice and "refined".But so are Kenmore appliances. NOBODY tattoos "Honda" on their bodies ( I have NO tats, and all my teeth BTW). Refined does not always kindle passion and single-minded desire to obtain. What did T.E. Lawrence say, " There's nothing like a full-blooded motorbike" (paraphrase)? Buells shake like a paint shaker AT IDLE, but who rides @ idle? They are smooth enough under weigh and the rubbermounting works. They handle like a straight razor ( if you're small/limber enough to fit comfortably), but are "funny-looking", to be kind. But they make smoke come out of my nose and the hair stand up on my neck, and make me wanna right checks my riding ability can't cash! THEY ARE NOT EVERYONE'S cup of tea, obviously. The new 1125R may attract some on this forum to try it out. I hope it is @ least 75 percent of what the specs add up to. God forbid, if it has major teething problems are some major gaff @ roll-out. I can hear the mocking and scoffing already! Still, I'd rather have an object of desire w/ quirks,flaws and limitations than to ride my "Westinghouse " motorcycle or two-wheeled Civic, no matter How fast or "mod" it may be. But that's just me.....
Old 07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Squid

Yes, Lefin102, almost anything newer that my ole "84 Sport , that's bigger than 550c.c.'s will most probably run off and hide from me,.. but I DON't CARE! That old "archaic" 49-57 r.w.h.p. Sporty makes Me shout, "Yippeee-kay-AAhh MelonFarmer"!, whereas all the most sofisticated, knife-edge 600's leave me stone cold. BTW, I agree about the VRod. Weighs too much and all that long, low ,dragster inspired nonsense wasn't aimed at me,either. Have you seen those Aussies who make that supercharger for the 'Rod? Sprintex, I think is the company. VRods ride all right, and handle good enough for me, but I'd rather have a Buell Ulysses or that supermoto/TT derivative of it. I get sensory inpute and performance, and you can't see how plug-ugly it is while your riding 'cause it's so small!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
I said it before, Buells are cool looking bikes but they were just missing a powerplant. It looks like they will have both now. BTW Buell sent me a broshure. I was just wondering how they are saying the air cooled pushrods are making 103 hp and 84 lbs of torque. What dyno is that coming from? Superhawk was heavier and made less torque but would walk away from them everytime at the track. Superhawk was stock. They did sound great too. Rotax is making just about every european engine out there but a Duc. Good for Eric to finally get to make something he dreamed of. HD put Rotaxs in their flattrackers years ago why did this bike take so long to build?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by rooster
I said it before, Bung=s are cool looking bikes but they were just missing a powerplant. It looks like they will have both now. BTW Bung= sent me a broshure. I was just wondering how they are saying the air cooled pushrods are making 103 hp and 84 lbs of torque. What dyno is that coming from? Superhawk was heavier and made less torque but would walk away from them everytime at the track. Superhawk was stock. They did sound great too. Rotax is making just about every european engine out there but a Duc. Good for Eric to finally get to make something he dreamed of. HD put Rotaxs in their flattrackers years ago why did this bike take so long to build?
It's the old "h.p. @ the crank" trick! But a 100 horse Sportster is easy-peasy! Standard hotrod tech. Go to nrhsperformance.com and check the dyno charts. Example : '96 Buell S2 stock displ.+ headwork,cams,ign. module and exhaust gives 101.5 r.w.h.p. and 85.4 ft.lbs. @ 6300 r.p.m. Dig it!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CB160
It's the old "h.p. @ the crank" trick! But a 100 horse Sportster is easy-peasy! Standard hotrod tech. Go to nrhsperformance.com and check the dyno charts. Example : '96 Buell S2 stock displ.+ headwork,cams,ign. module and exhaust gives 101.5 r.w.h.p. and 85.4 ft.lbs. @ 6300 r.p.m. Dig it!
So CB160 what is the deal with the new Sportster they keep showing in pictures? Kinda looks like the old XR750. Do you know hp, torque, weight ect? I like the looks of the Nightster also BTW, the bike looks good without all the chrome. Maybe a few of the HD will get treated to the Rotax engine treatment.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:36 PM
MotoGP

If you're referring to the new XR1200, it is bound for Europe with no plans (at the present time according to what I read in the rags anyhow) to introduce it in North America. I guess management at H-D don't want to shock the cruiser crowd too much, might end up having them question their faith....
Old 07-12-2007, 05:25 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
There is a bone you guys have seen the compression ??
Big bore, plasma-like compression, even with all the turbulences I can imagine I barely can think of running 91 octane in there and getting 146 chp...
BMW started this last year, the ECU have an advanced knock control that knows the octane content of the fuel and uses the proper fuel map so you can almost run coleman fuel and get the appropriate output. The full hp rating was when using 96 octane fuel...where the hell you get fuel like this ??
It seems that HD is willing to get the specs sheets squids with this new ECU/marqueting technique
Old 07-12-2007, 05:35 AM
MotoGP

interesting....

I don't really put any company above catering to the spec-sheet squids for they all do it to some extent (I work for a snowmobile magazine and have to shake my head at times when I see what ends up in some manufacturers' literature and press releases...) but one thing to consider is how octane is calculated in different markets for I believe it is not done the same way everywhere. For example, in Canada (and US also I think), the R+M/2 method is used. In other words, perhaps our 91 octane is the equivalent of 96 octane in Europe? I don't know for sure but that could factor into it as well.

In terms of the quoted hp figures, consider that teh Duc 1098 has slightly fewer cc's yet claims 14 hp more (and dyno numbers I have seen seem to back that up) so achieving 146 hp from teh new 1125R engine does not seem to be such a stretch. After all, it boils down to a specific output of @ 130 hp/L (consider that some of the new 600's run around 200 hp/L!)

cheers
Old 07-12-2007, 06:18 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I did check and it was european octane numbers, but still it begs for 93 octane over here to deliver it's full power. But premium fuel over here is 91 but as we said before Petro Canada may have some 94 in a few stations.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/m3/2007/engine.htm
check this it's basically 4 buell engines side by side.
12:1 comp, the bore should be close.
Nice engine **** as well
Old 07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by rooster
So CB160 what is the deal with the new Sportster they keep showing in pictures? Kinda looks like the old XR750. Do you know hp, torque, weight ect? I like the looks of the Nightster also BTW, the bike looks good without all the chrome. Maybe a few of the HD will get treated to the Rotax engine treatment.
Rooster:
It's called the XR1200TM . Try xrdna.com for specs. Bike was trial balooned @ the Intermot show. Motorcyclistonline.com ( French site,not the mag) sez it Will be produced, Spring '08 ,I think. You're exactly right about the XR750 styling cues, which is kinda weird,since the Euros don't have much mile racing. What do they know from Jay Springsteen, Gary Nixon,Dave Aldana or Bubba Shobert? Mebbe they watched "On Any Sunday"! But here's what I'd like to suggest to you instead: Start w/ a stock '04 or newer Sporty ( rubbermount/ 5 spd.) Contact Steve Storz of Storz Performance. Add cash and you get a better looking XR replica that Mr. Storz sez weighs 474# ( 49# more'n the Superhawk). If you REALLY mean bidnez, Add more money on engine work and Good Golly, Miss Molly! Gonna have me SOME FUN 2 Nyt !!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by mikstr
If you're referring to the new XR1200, it is bound for Europe with no plans (at the present time according to what I read in the rags anyhow) to introduce it in North America. I guess management at H-D don't want to shock the cruiser crowd too much, might end up having them question their faith....
How many cruiser types ARE tghere in Montreal ??
Old 07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
MotoGP

too many IMHO......
Old 07-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by mikstr
too many IMHO......
C'est vrai,monsieur
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
So has anyone been to the site yet? Looks pretty damn good but I'm still not feelin the scoops though, looks kind of like backwards hard case bags. Overall though I'm very impressed.......so far.

http://www.buell.com/1125R/1125R.asp?1125RLocale=en_us