General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Squid

Sighter
Insurance?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a motorcycle insurance company?

I am 46 with a good driving record but my car/home insurance company (Allstate) really must not want to insure bikes. My agent told me so and her quote backed it up.

Progressive?
Geico?
Other?

I tried search thinking it would dig up something but came up empty.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:15 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah.. allstate sucks for motorcycle insurance... they quoted me over $700.00 every 6 months!
LIABILITY!.... and don't have anything on my record.... i finally decided to go with gmac's "rider" insurance. $224 for the whole year.

http://www.gmac123.com/
Old 08-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Squid

kfkraenz
Re: Insurance?

I have state farm, they are supposed to be one of the cheapest for bike insurance, but you have to have car insurance with them to get bike insurance. They only price their bike insurance by displacement, so a harley is giong to be 40% more then a VTR which is good for us (even better for 600's which are 40% less). I got full coverage for $330/yr for full coverage on the hawk and $400 for the BMW. You also have to remember that in NJ insurance is quite high compared to other states....

-Karl
Old 08-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Squid

Sighter

Thanks for the input. I had State Farm when I lived in the Midwest and they always had great prices. I hate to change companies over one policy. My agent at Allstate rocks, her bike insurance just sucks.

Guess I will call up some other local agencies tomorrow. I like having a person / number to refer to in the event of a problem.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:01 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's kinda strange I have allstate and I'm thirty-five I pay a little less than $290 full coverage for the whole year.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 43.
My insurance is with Progressive.
3 bikes (SH, CBR 1000F and a Nighthawk S)
liability only on all 3.
I think it's about $200 / year total (for all 3).

Brian
Old 08-17-2005, 06:19 PM
MotoGP

That was one of the deciding factors of my superhawk purchase. It was just soo much cheaper, I was paying twice that for a katana 600. I went looking at bikes to see what I wanted, I decided on either the Cbr 929, the Yamaha R1 or the superhawk. The rates for the 929 were outrageous, the R1 a little less and the superhawk was just laughably low. I had to ask if they realized the superhawk had a bigger engine and more horsepower, they said they judge by the amount of claims and the superhawk was low on claims.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Squid

Sighter

I think I know what is happening now. My 22 year old son is on my auto policy for liability on an old Jeep and the bike coverage quote is picking up on him just like it does on my full coverage autos.

I bet there is a huge difference on the quote that way.

Humm, Progressive sounds pretty darn affordable!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Squid

timc

State farm is great. IThey are taking care of everything for the accident i judt had. I pay 169.00 every three months for full coverage.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
yea, I've been using progressive exclusively for the last 9 years, on bikes, and the last 3 years for the car. In addition to reasonable premiums (SH $117/ yr liability), the online forms and payments make for a 'no hassle' insurance policy.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:55 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found the biggest "swings" in insurance cost are all about where you live... (and your record/age if your have a ticket or two)

I've never had a ticket for anything, never even an accident....

I owned my 600cc Katana for 5 years and I moved 3 times to different states...my costs were:
Raleigh, North Carolina- Allstate- full coverage - 290 year
Chicago Ill. - Allstate - full coverage - 570 year
Hoboken, New Jersey - couldn't afford full coverage Allstate quoted me 2K!!! Got A local company - Just liability - 169 year

Got the Hawk last year when I was still in New Jersey and kept the low cost local coverage untill I moved to New York....

Once in NY I first got Progressive which quoted me 590 for full coverage yearly.... recieved my first bill two weeks later where they "requoted" my policy based on the bike, and that I lived in NY for less than 6 months.... new policy cost was 1950.00 yearly!!!!.... Of course I immediatley canceled that.
Next day I got Geico- just liability - 198 yearly.

So I'd suggest just calling around.... a company that has good prices in one state or area might be a total rip off in another state like my Progressive experience compared to others whom seem to have good deals.... (State Farm actually won't issue car/bike insurence to anyone living in the state of New Jersey (NYC Area)... because their costs are so high!!!)

So not only do the roads in the NYC area suck, but trying to get full coverage insurence is even worse!!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Squid

spacemonkey

I have state farm also 30yrs old clean record $215 a year f/c.They go by cc's not kind of bike
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 PM
MotoGP

You are correct sir! You hit the nail on the head slowhawk, the price for insurance varies from town to town here. My insurance went down a couple of hundred bucks when I moved from Wellington Fl. to Loxahatchee Fl. and there 5 min away from each other.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK";p=&quot
So I'd suggest just calling around.... a company that has good prices in one state or area might be a total rip off in another state like my Progressive experience compared to others whom seem to have good deals.... (State Farm actually won't issue car/bike insurence to anyone living in the state of New Jersey (NYC Area)... because their costs are so high!!!)
I was just starting to write this same thing. Here in San Jose, the local forum has little else but hatred for Progressive - way more expensive.

I have All State for about $500/yr, just liability. My car's under State Farm - I haven't checked with them for bike insurance lately, but the quotes above make me think I should.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Back Marker

2Phaast is an unknown quantity at this point

I got full coverage from AAA (Automobile Club of Southern California) for $314.00 for one year ($90.00 down and the rest in one lump some when the bill came the next month). They asked if I had completed any type of rider course, and how many years I had been riding..... No one could match them here in the area.....
Old 08-19-2005, 01:09 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Actually, I think I'm better off staying put regarding insurance because within the last year I've got two points, one for speeding and the other for "unsafe backing," in the car. Ever heard of that?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Squid

dive2277

Progressive: for Liability, Uninsured Motorist, and Comprehensive. No Collision. No PIP with $500 deductible. $353 a year. Allstate, State Farm, Gecko, Farmers and Nationwide were all much higher. Progressive let me pick a-la-cart to get the price down.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:26 AM
Superstock

woodman

State Farm cheapest for me, collision, comp. and 50/100/50 liability with $250 deduct.....$500.00 per year.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
The other end of NY (Buffalo area) isn't much better roads or insurance rates wise. My old company, Dairyland wanted $1593.76 Geico was a lot less for full coverage on my 2 bikes. I liked my '92 Nighthawk 750 ins better with the my DR200se it was only $274/year for full coverage but the Shawk is much more fun!

Rick B
2002 Red

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK";p=&quot
I've found the biggest "swings" in insurance cost are all about where you live... (and your record/age if your have a ticket or two)

I've never had a ticket for anything, never even an accident....

I owned my 600cc Katana for 5 years and I moved 3 times to different states...my costs were:
Raleigh, North Carolina- Allstate- full coverage - 290 year
Chicago Ill. - Allstate - full coverage - 570 year
Hoboken, New Jersey - couldn't afford full coverage Allstate quoted me 2K!!! Got A local company - Just liability - 169 year

Got the Hawk last year when I was still in New Jersey and kept the low cost local coverage untill I moved to New York....

Once in NY I first got Progressive which quoted me 590 for full coverage yearly.... recieved my first bill two weeks later where they "requoted" my policy based on the bike, and that I lived in NY for less than 6 months.... new policy cost was 1950.00 yearly!!!!.... Of course I immediatley canceled that.
Next day I got Geico- just liability - 198 yearly.

So not only do the roads in the NYC area suck, but trying to get full coverage insurence is even worse!!!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Squid

spacemonkey

I checked several places state farm was the cheapest I pay less than $300 a year for full coverage for my shawk and my wife's ninja I think that is preaty good for two sportbikes