General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Im new to the superhawk and to bike need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Squid

Seth T. is on a distinguished road
Im new to the superhawk and to bike need advice

I was wondering what I need to know about the bike and riding it any and all advice would be appreciated thank you
Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Check the Workshop https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ledge-base-40/ section for common frailties and fixes and take a peak here to help better know your VTR >

www.vtr1000.org • View forum - The Workshop Knowledgebase

Use search and keywords to find previous discussions and acquired experience & knowledge on anything you are inquisitive about. Pay attention to upgrading your CCTs and R/R if you still have OEM fitted as a priority!

Last edited by Wicky; 05-07-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:17 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...h-owner-30327/
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ew-here-30183/
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...uy-here-29978/
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Don't snap the throttle open in first gear.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine
Don't snap the throttle open in first gear.
And don't snap it closed in ANY gear unless you have manual CCTs.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by RWhisen
And don't snap it closed in ANY gear unless you have manual CCTs.
this might sound stupid but why what happens?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
Kabooommm goes the engine head and piston . Thus replacing your ccts to manual is a priority
Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Super Hawk Pro
Kabooommm goes the engine head and piston . Thus replacing your ccts to manual is a priority

Well I have to disagree..... running manual CCTs is not set in stone. Auto's can also work just fine if you stick to the replacement schedule.

I'm at over 90K on auto units and still going strong (yes they have been replaced a couple of times).
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well I have to disagree..... running manual CCTs is not set in stone. Auto's can also work just fine if you stick to the replacement schedule.

I'm at over 90K on auto units and still going strong (yes they have been replaced a couple of times).
Agree...

There are model examples out there that have a much higher failure rate, and even more known cause an effect then the VTR (the DRZ400 for example)

The ACCT on the VTR have been shown to work and not cause other issues while working .. They also have been seen to have a significant failure rate the more miles of use.

How and when they will fail varies wildly based on anecdotal evidence here and other forums.

Many choose to replace the somewhat failure prone ACCT with a known item (MCCT) that if installed correctly will not fail. Others use the ACCT and replace them at a best guess interval... and it works for them
Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Squid

I got the bike from an impound yard dont know alot but know enough to have noticed that the ccts are not stock though from first glance other then that everything else seems stock put knew clutch in because had couple plates sticking together at least thats what the honda shop said and how important is that rubber piece inside the airbox cause i got one outta the two with a k&n filter?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Seth T.
I got the bike from an impound yard dont know alot but know enough to have noticed that the ccts are not stock though from first glance other then that everything else seems stock put knew clutch in because had couple plates sticking together at least thats what the honda shop said and how important is that rubber piece inside the airbox cause i got one outta the two with a k&n filter?
Nah... The engineers at Honda just put them in there for fun...
Old 05-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
No need to be a d#ck honest enough question I personaly thought that they there for a reason at the same time the shop is telling me its not important so just trying to double check the facts
Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I see introductions are in order...

Seth, meet Tweety.

He's our resident d*&k but only to folks who don't do anything to help themselves. Have you downloaded the service manual from the Knowledge Base area yet?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:55 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

To be fair Tweety,Honda did not put them there.

Pretty sure he is describing the rubber blocks that come with the K&N Air Filter. The ones that are used in place of the stock air filter with built in blocks.

To the OP.. the blocks for the K&N or the ones built into the stock air filter

Keep the air filter in place and sealed, for no unfiltered air leaks.

I would say the shop that told you there are not needed, is mistaken.
Attached Thumbnails Im new to the superhawk and to bike need advice-ha_0011.jpg   Im new to the superhawk and to bike need advice-566448781_tp.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-12-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
FYI, those caps cover breather holes for the carb slides. The caps make sure the carbs pull air from the atmosphere without interfering with the airbox volume (and vice versa).

There are little foam filters in there as well (that the caps hold in) which keep debris out of your carbs. Both are important contrary to your shop's belief.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Aw man I never had those block offs. I had to make my own.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM
MotoGP

No need to be a d#ck honest enough question I personaly thought that they there for a reason at the same time the shop is telling me its not important so just trying to double check the facts
Actually... I wasn't being a d#ck... It was an honest enough answer... It's how the world works... Ask a stupid question, and you get a stupid answer... Don't blame me for answering, blame yourself for asking...

But if you want to play that game, let's get going...

You honestly think it's a justified question to ask if a part is needed, that separates filtrated air from non filtrated air in the carburators of an engine?

And before you say "I didn't know they did that!" that's the point really...

You didn't know what they did, because you didn't stop and think what they where for, you just asked a question without follow up questions, or thinking for yourself...

The question, had you bothered to ask yourself it could have been answered by a 30 second search, or about the same time looking through the shop manual... You didn't...

As for "the shop told me"... Well... If I had a dollar for every time I heard people on this forum say that, I'd be filthy rich twice over... Shop mechanics come in all sorts... About half of them are competent to follow an instruction manual to replace oil, filters and whatnot, the other half is evenly spilt between ******** that shouldn't work on things more complicated than a rock, and people that know what they are doing... Which one you get, it's all up to chance...
Old 05-12-2013, 02:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
To be fair Tweety,Honda did not put them there.
Fair enough... K&N's engineers... But then again, they did mostly make a half arsed attempt at copying what Honda's engineer did in the first place...

I mean, they are manufacturing and selling an aftermarket filter that they claim improves performance by X amounts, just by dropping it in... Which it most definetly does not... If you re-jet you get same-same at best, and with heavy modifications to the engine you do see improvements...

I do get it though, they won't put money into re-working it, not for an old model, instead they will keep selling the crap filter they have... And the caps obviously aren't needed for some models as they are removable...

But would it be that expensive to make the caps either part of the filter like they should be, snap in perhaps? Or at least take a frigging self tapping screw, and bolt them in there on the models that need them, so they wont get lost? I bet the cost would be negligable...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Squid

Actually... I wasn't being a d#ck... It was an honest enough answer... It's how the world works... Ask a stupid question, and you get a stupid answer... Don't blame me for answering, blame yourself for asking...

But if you want to play that game, let's get going...

You honestly think it's a justified question to ask if a part is needed, that separates filtrated air from non filtrated air in the carburators of an engine?

And before you say "I didn't know they did that!" that's the point really...

You didn't know what they did, because you didn't stop and think what they where for, you just asked a question without follow up questions, or thinking for yourself...

The question, had you bothered to ask yourself it could have been answered by a 30 second search, or about the same time looking through the shop manual... You didn't...

As for "the shop told me"... Well... If I had a dollar for every time I heard people on this forum say that, I'd be filthy rich twice over... Shop mechanics come in all sorts... About half of them are competent to follow an instruction manual to replace oil, filters and whatnot, the other half is evenly spilt between ******** that shouldn't work on things more complicated than a rock, and people that know what they are doing... Which one you get, it's all up to chance...
First its only a stupid question if you already know or should know and you where wrong about it too so really I can and have read the manual but since its an k&n filter its not in the manuel dumbass plus I was asking the other respectable and what seems knowledgable friendly people on here you being the exception to that I bet you have "lots of friends" go bother them I got better things to do
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

First its only a stupid question if you already know or should know and you where wrong about it too so really I can and have read the manual but since its an k&n filter its not in the manuel dumbass plus I was asking the other respectable and what seems knowledgable friendly people on here you being the exception to that I bet you have "lots of friends" go bother them I got better things to do
Ok enough.
1st of all, Im neither nice, nor all that respectable.

2nd lets leave the personal attacks out of it.. you want to attack the post, fine.. but leave the person out of the response, or choose not to respond.

3rd actually he does have lots of friends, many of them right here in this forum.... think about that a sec......and your post......ok, good.

4th... Welcome...... might want to get to know the people you're chatting with before you go off the deep end and hating on folks....There really are no bad users here... as they leave on their own, or are shown the door.

Lastly..... Seth , no loss on the K&N bits, the air cleaner is very hard to tune for, and most end up dumping it for a stocker or another brand aftermarket. If your not going wild with intake and engine mods.. use the stocker.....it's easy to tune for and gets great results .
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hey Seth. For my vote, its usually impossible to be the new guy and even use the d___
word in a response to an established member without being a d___ yourself in the process.

Also, FWIW, you original post was very wide open, sounding like you did not lift a finger to look around yourself first, which becomes tiresome to those who spend alot of effort/sweat/years working on these bikes.

These are new guys every week asking these questions and after years of that, we can usually guage how much effort they put in. Tweety was responding to that.

We love to help guys turn wrenches, we just dont like being asked to carry the toolbox.

Its a very helpful forum.