General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Oil weight 10/40 or 20/50

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:58 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

whatthefnck is on a distinguished road
Oil weight 10/40 or 20/50

I'm in Houston so it gets pretty hot here. The manual says 20/50 is safe to use but previous owner has been using 10/40. Would anyone suggest I change to 20/50?
Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Maybe if it was an air cooled engine.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
No, the manual doesn't say that... Read it again...
Old 05-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
No, the manual doesn't say that... Read it again...
Actually, it does say that... the oil recommended is 10-40,, and then states to use the diagram below to choose based on temp range.
And recommends 20-50 from temps 40F to over 100F.. and that my dear swedish friend is what temps are in his part of Texas in the summer.

Name:  oil_zps62c44a20.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  63.8 KB
For summer months here in my part of Texas i use
4T Silkolene Pro 4 15-50, Ester based full synthetic.

Having done oil analysis on this bike, using several brands of oil, and this specific brand, type and weight..I'm confident in my choices.. and it's protection and resistance to Shear and thermal breakdown.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-12-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
More Thickerer

I found that 20w-50 is more thickerer and wouldn't that reduce power? What if your buddies start beating you now because of the thickerer oil and wouldn't it make you feel bad? The wifes Honda CRV takes 5w-20 it will go 80mph just about anytime, trust me. The choice seems clear to me. Feel safer or go faster.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by zxbud
I found that 20w-50 is more thickerer and wouldn't that reduce power? What if your buddies start beating you now because of the thickerer oil and wouldn't it make you feel bad? The wifes Honda CRV takes 5w-20 it will go 80mph just about anytime, trust me. The choice seems clear to me. Feel safer or go faster.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Use rotella T 5w-40.
40 is "thick" enough for any condition that you'd be willing to ride in. It's more important that the oil be thin enough when the engine is cold. Syhthetics are more stable across temperatures and make the bike shift smoother.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Actually, it does say that... the oil recommended is 10-40,, and then states to use the diagram below to choose based on temp range.
And recommends 20-50 from temps 40F to over 100F.. and that my dear swedish friend is what temps are in his part of Texas in the summer.

Having done oil analysis on this bike, using several brands of oil, and this specific brand, type and weight..I'm confident in my choices.. and it's protection and resistance to Shear and thermal breakdown.
Actually... No...

If you look at the text, and the chart... Where does it say the 20W-50 is recommended over 20W-40 at any given temperature?

They are both the correct choice from 32F to 100F... And a bit beyond...

But when you go close to 100F or above and rarely close to 32F, then the 20W-50 is probably the better choice, manual aside...

But it still doesn't mean the manual says that 20W-50 is the only correct choice, or in any way preferred over 20W-40...
Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Actually... No...

If you look at the text, and the chart... Where does it say the 20W-50 is recommended over 20W-40 at any given temperature?

They are both the correct choice from 32F to 100F... And a bit beyond...

But when you go close to 100F or above and rarely close to 32F, then the 20W-50 is probably the better choice, manual aside...

But it still doesn't mean the manual says that 20W-50 is the only correct choice, or in any way preferred over 20W-40...
We can agree to disagree

The OP stated "The manual says 20/50 is safe to use" Which is a correct statement as the chart clearly shows for the average temps he will see in HIS RIDING AREA.

To responses like "Maybe if it was an air cooled engine." and "No, the manual doesn't say that... Read it again..." were made..and BOTH responses are WRONG as the text and chart clearly show.

The chart IMHO does indicate 20w50 is A proper choice or using the OP's word " safe to use".

You told the OP the manual did not say 20w50 was safe to use,, and your wrong

As to choosing one over the other.. when the average temps in YOUR riding area well in the range of more than one oil weight. Thats an oil thread.... one will pick for lighter wt.. with little to no data to support the choice, .. another will choose the heavier wt, with little to no data to support the choice, round and round we go. I was not trying to even get to that part...

Tweety... have you had oil analysis done for oil used in this bike during your hotter summer months?
I use Black Stone Labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ Who do you use in Sweeden?

And hot being relative.. as Skurup, Sweden hot appears to be Houston's average cold in the summer ...
http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Sk...ne-Lan/SE.aspx

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-13-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:10 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I like cheese
Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Markus and Erik, what is the argument about?

Hmmm.... another oil thread!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Actually to add my 2 cents . You can look at any Honda Motorcycle Service Manual for the last 40 years and see this exact chart, it hasn't changed and it's simple OEM CYA. The fact is I've never run anything higher than 10/40 in a liquid engine and I did run 20/50 in aircooled engines. Of course synthetics are another issue entirely so it kind of makes 10/40 or 20/50 moot for many of us.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Thx Marquez. And thx everyone else.
I'm currently using full synthetic 10/40 and I'll prob continue to do so unless someone gave me a good reason to go higher.
@marquez what do you use? We're in the same region, any suggestions for me?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by whatthefnck
Thx Marquez. And thx everyone else.
I'm currently using full synthetic 10/40 and I'll prob continue to do so unless someone gave me a good reason to go higher.
@marquez what do you use? We're in the same region, any suggestions for me?
Posted earley and lost in the "discussion"

Ues a good quality 10w40 and you'll be fine looks like mid 90's is the avarage in Houston
Average Weather for Houston, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

It's an oil thread, ask 10 people for an opinion, get 12 answers.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Ya I saw that but it didn't make sense to me hahaha. So 10/40 I'll stick with..
All I know is it doesn't get so cold here to NEED the 10/40 low temp range and I def don't ride it when it's that cold, so I was wondering if I should bump it to a bit thicker since its usually really hot here and gets to the 100's.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by whatthefnck
Ya I saw that but it didn't make sense to me hahaha. So 10/40 I'll stick with..
All I know is it doesn't get so cold here to NEED the 10/40 low temp range and I def don't ride it when it's that cold, so I was wondering if I should bump it to a bit thicker since its usually really hot here and gets to the 100's.
It's not wrong, but not needed
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Talking

my attempt at stopping a runaway oil thread!!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NHSH
Markus and Erik, what is the argument about?

Hmmm.... another oil thread!
Hey... It's not an argument yet... It's still a discussion... Eric and I have done this before, and will do it again... We are both vocal about our opinions, but respect the others...
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 AM
MotoGP

We can agree to disagree

The OP stated "The manual says 20/50 is safe to use" Which is a correct statement as the chart clearly shows for the average temps he will see in HIS RIDING AREA.

To responses like "Maybe if it was an air cooled engine." and "No, the manual doesn't say that... Read it again..." were made..and BOTH responses are WRONG as the text and chart clearly show.

The chart IMHO does indicate 20w50 is A proper choice or using the OP's word " safe to use".

You told the OP the manual did not say 20w50 was safe to use,, and your wrong

As to choosing one over the other.. when the average temps in YOUR riding area well in the range of more than one oil weight. Thats an oil thread.... one will pick for lighter wt.. with little to no data to support the choice, .. another will choose the heavier wt, with little to no data to support the choice, round and round we go. I was not trying to even get to that part...

Tweety... have you had oil analysis done for oil used in this bike during your hotter summer months?
I use Black Stone Labs Blackstone Labs Who do you use in Sweeden?

And hot being relative.. as Skurup, Sweden hot appears to be Houston's average cold in the summer ...
Skurup, Sweden Weather Averages | Monthly Average High and Low Temperature | Average Precipitation and Rainfall days | World Weather Online
Agreed...

Yeah, I have... Don't have a link, as they are local business only, but they run the oil analysis for most of the Swedish race teams on both 2 and 4 wheels...

And yeah, hot is relative... The southern part of Sweden can't compete with your kind of hot...
Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Hey... It's not an argument yet... It's still a discussion... Eric and I have done this before, and will do it again... We are both vocal about our opinions, but respect the others...
Dead On

Im not angry..... You don't want to see me when Im angry...
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
So, the turbo diesel Shell Rotella T 15W-40 that everyone says they use from Walmart is a bad choice that will cause imploding of my motor?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by supermarto
So, the turbo diesel Shell Rotella T 15W-40 that everyone says they use from Walmart is a bad choice that will cause imploding of my motor?
No it wont.

Nor will this
Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by supermarto
Well not everyone uses it......
Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
No it wont.

Nor will this
+1 it's a fairly good deal for the price and covers the entire range of temp's you would find VTR's
Old 05-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
...Im not angry..... You don't want to see me when Im angry...
Old 05-14-2013, 03:18 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well not everyone uses it......
Because it's junk! If some people would do a search instead of starting a new thread they would learn these things.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Because it's junk! If some people would do a search instead of starting a new thread they would learn these things.
Well so are Allballs cheap chinese crap low quality bearings, but some folks like to use them anyway

Search only works if the data is current.. and as oil is re formulated, new base stocks switched for old as availability changes all the time.. Yesterdays Oil thread, even if packed with REAL data from oil analysis.. well it's yesterdays data and not really valid.

Oil threads are GOOD, if REAL data is discussed.. they are useless when filled with "I think" " I heard" "Once I used xxxxx energy conserving oil and my rod bearings sized to the tail light bushing".. Those kind of posts that fill oil threads are junk.. and common.

Just do a search .. you'll find lots of useless posts on the topic.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM
MotoGP

Search only works if the data is current.. and as oil is re formulated, new base stocks switched for old as availability changes all the time.. Yesterdays Oil thread, even if packed with REAL data from oil analysis.. well it's yesterdays data and not really valid.
Agreed! x2
Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 PM
MotoGP

Well so are Allballs cheap chinese crap low quality bearings, but some folks like to use them anyway
And my commy (head)bearings are holding up for now....I wouldn't use anything else from them though!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wolverine
And my commy (head)bearings are holding up for now....I wouldn't use anything else from them though!
Ya, the tapered roller bearings for steering heads.. thats one thing i will use from them.

Wheel and swingarm kits.. No thanks

Quick Reply: Oil weight 10/40 or 20/50