General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Brand new to the hawks and need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Squid

98greenchicken is on a distinguished road
Brand new to the hawks and need advice.

Hello all this is my first post and my first superhawk. Its a 1998 vtr1000f and I need to know what the best tires are for it. I really don't ride bikes very hard and these tires need to last. Any help with a brand and compound would help. Second question, what are some things to look for on this bike. Common problems I should keep an eye out for. I would really like to catch anything now rather than when it breaks. Glad to be welcome in your forum and thank you for all the advice you can give.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Ask 10 different people and get 15 different opinions on tires. For what you want to do with it, look at "Sport touring" tires. Stray away from track/street tires, as they have fantastic grip, but far more than what you need if you are just a cruisin' kind of guy. Because of this they will wear out alot faster than sport touring tires.

Common issues of 'Hawks - CCT's, voltage regulators, and wheeliesynopsis. The search feature will tell ya all of what you need to know for the most part. Gear up and have fun!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Squid

98greenchicken is on a distinguished road
Thanks I know the regulator is good not sure about the ccts, now is wheeliesynopsis contagious to other bikes? LOL
Old 09-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the fun ! I agree with Otto Man , You will get a different answer from everyone you ask . I have Michelin Pilot Roads on one of my bikes (VFR) and they have about 2900 miles on em and still look new , they seem to grip decent enough for some slightly spirited riding .I dont think I would push em as hard as the Pilot Powers but I also see that they are coming out with dual compound version ( Pilot Road 2 ct) this maybe the next tires for the Hawk depending on what the cycle mags say when they test them .

Last edited by HRCVTR1000; 09-10-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
When I bought my VFR I asked 'Bling what to put on it and he suggested the Diablo Corsa and they have been great. They have about 3k on them and look new. Best yet - they feel new although I have started to get off the stock pressures a bit with them.

My last change on the Sh was to Pilot Powers. These things are so sticky they collect gravel rolling through the parking lot. I have guys tell me they can get 6K out of a set but the jury is out.

I'm not sure about the dual compound tires on a bike like the Superhawk. I think this is a wait and see thing too. I have not tried a set but some riders that I have talked to say they do not roll evenly from side to side. This a problem for the Superhawk because this bike never met a corner it didn't want to eat. That rear bead is WAY over there for a reason. If it's not smooth in the transition - that's a huge distraction.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Well the only opinion that matters is mine...so I say go with the new TTT-sideline curved, beadless, rimless, airoil acoustiv tire-by Nortankialavovich..There is no better all purpose tire on the market!! it has a thin bladder inside that will also hold the only race approved oil that you can run in this bike...Mobil 1 full syn....and if that weren't enough, they come with a life time warranty...Lot of fine print to that one though. Hours of reading, but good stuff....LOL

PP for me, and I don't do a lot of spirited riding...
Welcome..!!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Best tires??? It doesn't care... eats 'em all up pretty quickly!

FYI... my latest tire is the new dual compound Bridgestone BT021 (rear). Put it on in May.... it's pretty much toast now @ about 6000 miles. Worn out down the middle, just like every other non-dual compound tire I've had on the bike.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard! I just put a set of the Pirelli Strada's extended mileage sports on, the stock 204's lasted 7100 miles (rear was tired) so i'm hoping for similar or better on these... They also seem a lot better grip wise than the stockers ever though of.

Last edited by RickB; 09-11-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
The 2ct has been out for a while now and has also gone through a recall, nothing to do with the compound or design though. Perelli also has a dual compound tire called the Corsa III with some great features but they will not last long. The hrder compound in the middle is just slightly harder than a regular Corsa which is fairly soft. I've never heard anyone complain about the transition of either of these tires but I haven't tried them myself yet so I don't know for sure. BTW the Corsa III has more coverage of the softer compound then the PP for what it's worth.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
The 2ct has been out for a while now and has also gone through a recall, nothing to do with the compound or design though. Perelli also has a dual compound tire called the Corsa III with some great features but they will not last long. The hrder compound in the middle is just slightly harder than a regular Corsa which is fairly soft. I've never heard anyone complain about the transition of either of these tires but I haven't tried them myself yet so I don't know for sure. BTW the Corsa III has more coverage of the softer compound then the PP for what it's worth.
I almost bought into the hype on the Corsa III's. A friend of mine has them on his 1098. I was almost dead set on getting them...until I realized the rest of the guys I ride with all run regular PPs (Not 2ct's). At times, I seriously ride the old 'hawk as fast as I ever possibly can on twisty roads, to the point of where the bike starts to get alittle headshake like you see inthe superbike races on turn transitions. I can't put my knee fully down, because I don't have pucks. I'm hanging off the bike as far as I dare. And you know what? I still can't even see the guys running pilot powers in front of me, that's how far ahead they are. Granted, they have true super sports - Busa, ZX-10, Gixxer 1k, but still - not to even SEE them?! If they hold up for them, they will hold up for the 'ol hawk just fine!!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:35 AM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
I replaced my oe tires with 2ct's and really liked them but only got 4000 miles till cord was showing. Yes I do ride pretty hard but they were an excellent tire.Now I have some Pirelli Diablo stradas on, the ones cycle gear put on sale for $170, and there ok Iguess. Hopefully I will get a few more miles out of them.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Squid

vtrj is on a distinguished road
Bridgestone is the way to go, i say anyway. I've gone other way's but alway's go back to the BT014, You don't get tons of life out of them but youm can run on the chickin strip all day and not low side your bike.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Otto Man
I almost bought into the hype on the Corsa III's. A friend of mine has them on his 1098. I was almost dead set on getting them...until I realized the rest of the guys I ride with all run regular PPs (Not 2ct's). At times, I seriously ride the old 'hawk as fast as I ever possibly can on twisty roads, to the point of where the bike starts to get alittle headshake like you see inthe superbike races on turn transitions. I can't put my knee fully down, because I don't have pucks. I'm hanging off the bike as far as I dare. And you know what? I still can't even see the guys running pilot powers in front of me, that's how far ahead they are. Granted, they have true super sports - Busa, ZX-10, Gixxer 1k, but still - not to even SEE them?! If they hold up for them, they will hold up for the 'ol hawk just fine!!
It's not really hype the C III has other things that other tires just don't offer like the steel belt that runs all the way across the tire so that the sides of the tire warm up at the same time that the middle does without even making contact with the pavement. Or the compound that was directly taken from last years Moto GP compounds or the profile etc.....are they overkill on the street, maybe but when pushing the limits,(which I don't do on the street anymore), it's nice to have added insurance.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Otto Man
suspension has a lot to do with the grip ( or lack ) of a tire.

tim
Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 AM
MotoGP

+1 to that!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
+2 even!