General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Crap!!! Knocked over the bike! Need advice on touch up paint and fairing repair.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Crap!!! Knocked over the bike! Need advice on touch up paint and fairing repair.

Okay, after the excitement of finally getting my Jardine high-mounts from the UPS guy yesterday, I go to installing them today. So far so good, right?

Long story short, while wrestling with the old S-pipe, I knock the bike over cracking the upper fairing a little in 2 spots and scratching the crap out of the fairing as well.

I’m thinking it’s pretty repairable (it’s just cosmetic, but I’m still pissed as hell at myself).

Any recommendations for YELLOW touch up paint, I think I can get away with the same as the little car touch up pen things, also looking for recommendations to repair about a 2 inch crack and a 1 inch crack in the fairing.

Thanks in advance for any advice or humorous anecdotes of others that have done stupid stuff while in the garage…...
Old 11-17-2007, 05:43 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Some of the other guys might have info on the touch up paint but I have been there when working on my Superhawk. I'm pretty careful and experienced at lifting but I got out of shape with one of my repairs last winter and the whole bike was coming over backwards at me. Luckily it was just an over-balance issue so not a lot of pounds took to correct it. But - what a wake up call??? It was within 5 - 7 pounds and the bike was ready to fall over. Weird fall too! Dump the swing arm and fall over backwards. Took my breathe away but I got it under control. Now I just tie the bitch down to every available hook in the barn before I begin my repairs.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Wow....what a coincidence. I had a bonehead moment about an hour ago. Last night I installed the Speedo Healer and had it up on the rear stand. When I was done I thought I'd just put it in gear and make sure the speedometer was getting a signal. Died when I put it in gear....duh...kickstand....put the kickstand up, start it and we're good....getting a signal.
I go out to the garage to take it out for a ride and lower the stand.....yup....forgot to put the stand down last night..
BARELY freakin caught it....had to yell for my kid to come grab on to it cuz I only had it by the back end and it was pretty far over........that would have been the first drop.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:22 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that-I don't think anyone can talk we've all done it... Check out color-rite.com and just put in your year and model. They have pearl yellow touch up paint for a superhawk...
Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
SD HAWK - I live in Chula Vista and just repaired crash damage to my plastics using ABS plastic welding sticks from Harbor Freight and some body filler -PM me know if you want some help.....
Old 11-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Okay, feel a little better that I'm not the only one not thinking at times.....

I'll check out color-rite.com too. Just wondering if there is anything at the local auto-parts store that might do the trick???
After taking a closer look the scratches are not as bad as I first thought and a "quick fix" may work after all.....

As far as the cracks in the fairing they are small enough to maybe fix using some type of plastics weld.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
See this post:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...fairing+repair

If the cracks are small and you don't want to have to paint a larger area this may not be the best solution though.
Good luck.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
On the back side, rough the area around the crack. Cut nylon window screen to make "band aids". "V" cut front of crack. Apply a layer of PVC pipe cement. Apply "band aid". Layer as needed. Dry between layers works best. Cement in the "V". Sand. Touch up paint.

Ride.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Got all my plastics in a tub going to paint shop tomorrow. Yellow! Got a brand new factory yellow tank to match it up to. I'll let you know what the paint guru does. I believe I'll ask if it will need a flex agent and a plastic bond agent in the mix. It'll be real purty!
Old 11-30-2007, 06:44 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
I cannabalized an old VCR and TV for their black ABS cases. It's thin enough to cut with strong scissors and I use 4 dollar ABS cement to make repairs... It is not a "fix" for the part, it BECOMES the part... I also use Bulldog adhesion promoter in aerosol cans to prime the bare ABS before base coating. Really improves adhesion.