General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I'm back

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Squid

turbotimm is on a distinguished road
I'm back

It's been a couple years so I figured I'd get with it. Changed jobs at the end of 2016 and had to re-register here since I was using my old work email and couldn't remember my password. Anyway, still riding. Bike has 44k now. Rode today. My nutz are still frozen to the tank. My old user name was the same with one less "m" at the end. Hey Wolv, any way to reset my username back to the old one (with new email) so I can start where I left off? Did I miss the T-shirt order? After 5 years, mine is getting a little ragged. Glad to be back. Tim
Old 04-12-2018, 05:26 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Moderators don't have the powa to alter your user name. Admin isn't very active here. The best thing to do would be to message him and be patient.

Haven't run shirts in a while but I think you did miss the last run. You're the second person to show interest, if enough people did, I'd consider another go.

And btw, I rode to work this morning, it wan't that cold...
Old 04-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Back Marker

AlanS is on a distinguished road
Welcome back, turbotim(m). I joined in the interim so you actually precede me.

...Wolverine, I'd buy a shirt, too.

Alan
Old 04-14-2018, 04:49 AM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
Welcome back Tim. I joined about 4 years ago. In Boston the weather was better in February I rode a couple of week ends. March forget it and April is not any better so far. Good luck with the Admin, more like an absente landlord.
TEE shirts I'm in but what about the pockets!!!!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:56 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Pidge
what about the pockets!!!!
Lol!!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Squid

I'm finally sending the superhawk in for cct replacement. For anyone who knocks the stock ccts, these have 44,000 on them. Just goes to show if you treat it good, it will return the favor. Thanks for the warm welcome back. Now it's time to get a group ride together Wolverine. Do they still do the breakfast run in Ephrata? Tim
Old 05-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
My stock CCTs have almost 40k on them as well.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Mine only made it to 20,000 before they ruined my engine, but they still went 20,000 miles. All this stock CCT bashing is for the birds.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:53 PM
MotoGP

You both like living on the edge, huh?

Originally Posted by turbotimm
I'm finally sending the superhawk in for cct replacement. For anyone who knocks the stock ccts, these have 44,000 on them. Just goes to show if you treat it good, it will return the favor. Thanks for the warm welcome back. Now it's time to get a group ride together Wolverine. Do they still do the breakfast run in Ephrata? Tim
Yep, first sunday of every month.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Some just dont get it.....Its not that the stock CCTs can not make it 40k miles, it is that some will not make it 10k, some 15k, some 20k.... there is no constant known "safe" min mileage or years in use.... So your right, they can last for many years and miles, or few years or few miles... which will yours be?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Mine only made it to 20,000 before they ruined my engine, but they still went 20,000 miles. All this stock CCT bashing is for the birds.
For an engine that will go 100,000+ miles, 20,000 miles from stock CCTs is not good enough.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:44 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

I have no response to that.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:46 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
The secret is in the bell curve...

Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
and some of us have run over 100K miles with stock ACCTs and believe, like Roger D, that the stock units have a much worse reputation than they deserve.
I also agree with Roger that the average D.I.Y. mechanic should not install mccts unless they really know what they are doing as it is very easy to cause catastrophic damage if done wrong.
Another bit just FYI Mr Ditchfield added about MCCTs, Yes he uses them in the race bikes (if allowed) but he also stated that they were adjusted before every meeting. Not just put in and forgotten about.

Being around this forum for a while, I have heard of more engines being damaged from improper mcct installations (most don't even want to pull the front valve cover) than I have heard of auto ccts blowing, but that is just me.
I also take all the reports of failures as you only hear about failures. No one posts up when all is good. So yes there have been many reports of failures but how many are still out there running with no issues?

So with all that, no the stock auto units do not last forever.....though they don't blow up just by looking at them either.
In fact after doing more research, I am going back to auto units.
Why would one do that you ask....

While an auto unit is in operation it is not in a fixed position. It extends and contracts with throttle position.
This keeps constant tension on the chain. With a fixed tensioner the chain cycles loose and tight.
While this causes no issues with running, I have to wonder what extra wear this will cause.
As I have not seen a high mileage engine torn down after running mccts for an extended period, I can't say for sure what, if any, damage is happening.

The way I see it, yes the auto units do need to be replaced (though again there is an argument of what that interval actually is set at) and can be damaged with improper use. Though they also can last just fine,
Then because they are easier on the cam chains, not only should things last longer but you should also get more rear wheel HP due to less friction losses.

In the end, run whatever lets you sleep best at night, On a new to you bike they should be changed out (unless they are mccts and then they should be checked for proper installation)
Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Without opening a "Can of Worms" has anyone noticed which of the ACCT's predominantly fails, Front or Rear? Just curious.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Front.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:32 PM
MotoGP

See what ya did Tim.

I'm outta here fella's. I just don't feel like hearing this **** anymore.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
like Roger D, that the stock units have a much worse reputation than they deserve.
I also agree with Roger that the average D.I.Y. mechanic should not install mccts unless they really know what they are doing
For those that wanted to know what he actually said with out the filter and personal opinion
Roger Ditchfield wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:43 pm Hi Guys,
The question of CCTs is multi-faceted and complex one and sadly there are no definitive answers. Here are my experiences for what they are worth!
All the Revolution Racing VTR1000f Firestorms (ST2 and ST3 raced using OEM CCTs without issue. As they were being raced also under the banner of Honda Britain and partially supported by HRC it would have been impossible to change them for an aftermarket product but we have allowed to modify the OEM part had we found it necessary. It must be remembered the engines were all brand new and were rebuilt after every BSB Supercup weekend. Also the engines were fired with the bike standing level on front and rear stands and subjected to a twenty minute warm up procedure from cold whereas street bikes tend to be fired up on the sidestand while the rider puts on his helmet and gloves before driving off.
My workshop experience of street VTRs CCTs is extremely varied. The highest mileage I have had to CCT failure was 97,000 miles on a bike used every day by a London courier. The lowest was less than 30 miles on a bike that had been run from new for two days after it had been stored for three years. I have had failures at every mileage in between! Therefore mileage is not a factor but types and regularity of usage possibly may be. I am always an advocate of Preventative Maintenance but in the case of CCTs I cannot give any sort of replacement schedule based on mileage.
Although all the Revolution Racing bikes of other models (R1s, R6s, CBR 900s, CBR 600, GSXR 6s and GSXR 1000) raced under our own banner used Manual CCTs I never felt comfortable in recommended their use by DIY riders. The reasoning for this is that setting up is “by ear”, feel and experience and these qualities often in short supply by private riders. The long term and extensive damage that can be caused by incorrect adjustment often outweighs the damage caused by CCT failure in the majority of cases. All our MCCTs were adjusted before every track appearance.
It cannot be denied that there is an issue with some OEM CCTs I believe that the fear of it is greater than the reality and there are relatively few major engine failures due to CCTs. I am therefore generally in favour of retaining the CCTs on normal mileage street bikes.
I am really sorry that I cannot give more definitive or less controversial advice based on known facts instead of opinion.
Good Luck guys
Old 05-16-2018, 08:51 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Well, that settles it.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 AM
Squid

Wolv, wasn't much going on here lately, so I poked the sleeping bear. Now lets talk about oil.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:30 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by turbotimm
Now lets talk about oil.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
For those that wanted to know what he actually said with out the filter and personal opinion
Another case of not sure how to take your reply but the important bit of what Roger said about MCCTs....without any filter or personal opinion is:

I never felt comfortable in recommended their use by DIY riders. The reasoning for this is that setting up is “by ear”, feel and experience and these qualities often in short supply by private riders. The long term and extensive damage that can be caused by incorrect adjustment often outweighs the damage caused by CCT failure in the majority of cases. All our MCCTs were adjusted before every track appearance.
It cannot be denied that there is an issue with some OEM CCTs I believe that the fear of it is greater than the reality and there are relatively few major engine failures due to CCTs. I am therefore generally in favour of retaining the CCTs on normal mileage street bikes.

So while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, in my opinion the whole ACCTs will explode just by looking at them is a way over blow notion.
Also by the way I read the previous statements it sounds to me the Roger D. also agrees that ACCTs are a fine option for a street bike.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Another case of not sure how to take your reply but the important bit of what Roger said about MCCTs....without any filter or personal opinion is:
Mike, just that, we all put a spin on what we hear or read and then regurgitate to others.
I perhaps take what he wrote as saying it was not really researched at all..as he said using an MCCT was not allowed for sponsor reasons, and his motors were being torn down often..so longevity of the ACCT was not really something on the race bikes to even be a consideration or tested.
Others may ready the same quote from him and have a different takeaway.

I might read where he stated he had seen ACCTS fail in a few miles and go a long time, and my takeaway it supports my position, replace them for reliability reasons at least.. as the ACCT you have today may last the lifetime of the bike, but that lifetime may be 800 miles or 45,000 miles and you really do not have a say in which one yours will be.. Others might read the same passage from Roger and think it supports installing a new set of ACCT's never allowing the bike to idle on the side stand or sit for long periods not running with oil draining away from front acct, allowing for long ACCT service life....
As for His opinion " I never felt comfortable in recommended their use by DIY riders " I can only guess he meets a much less capable group of riders there in the UK as the install is pretty darn basic and can be done by most anyone willing to follow instructions. It is constantly the ones that take short cuts or use proven dicey methods to install that have issues with installing them.

So I posted a link that would all all to read what he did say, without filter or bias.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-29-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:40 AM
Back Marker

Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road
I have two questions...or inquiries..
If the person has a very good mechanical ability.. Installing high compression pistons...Stage two cams...etc, what would you say to him about MCCT's to ACCT's? And with these performance upgrades, which one would you advise to use? I am seriously looking at the flywheel upgrade as well, but I want to first just see what happens with the upgrades that I have done...OOPs...I let the cat out of the bag.
Secondly...I believe the cam chain tensioner fails...If it does fail... when the bike is under deacceleration. If any of these modification puts more stress to this situation...once again which CCT would you use?
Just asking....don't shoot the messenger...Thanks.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
I have two questions...or inquiries..
If the person has a very good mechanical ability.. Installing high compression pistons...Stage two cams...etc, what would you say to him about MCCT's to ACCT's? And with these performance upgrades, which one would you advise to use? I am seriously looking at the flywheel upgrade as well, but I want to first just see what happens with the upgrades that I have done...OOPs...I let the cat out of the bag.
Secondly...I believe the cam chain tensioner fails...If it does fail... when the bike is under deacceleration. If any of these modification puts more stress to this situation...once again which CCT would you use?
Just asking....don't shoot the messenger...Thanks.
You are going to get a lot of answers...
Mine is MCCT, if the cams go out of time, its a sure bet you will loose valves at least...more if they come apart at speed.