General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

First Impressions

Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Squid

Colors is on a distinguished road
First Impressions

Ok I've been out on my new Hawk all weekend (250 miles or so of mixed city/highway riding) seeing how things stack up and I'm not entirely elated with the performance. It is an '04 all OEM and according to the previous owner no shop has ever turned a wrench on it. I think the carbs are going to need some TLC. But my observations and questions are:

The bike seems lacking low end punch. Which shouldn't be from a twin this large. it seems to chug quite abit from idle to 3000rpm. The bike WILL NOT power wheelie in first gear. Either by closing the throttle at 4 or 5k and whacking it open, or by a hard launch and running the gear all the way out. There is also abit of a power hit at 4500 rpm. The Dyno charts I've seen for stock bikes don't display this so I am assuming something isn't quite right.

Also bike pulls abit to the right if I shift to neutral and take my hands off the clip ons. Any ideas?

90 degrees outside and the bike won't idle without the choke until engine temp gets up around 120. Then temp builds fast and opperates around 208 a good deal of the time. is this normal for these?

Also its very hard to shift from first to second under any more load than mild acceleration without some grinding. not alot may even call it notchy but it doesn't like going between them smoothly.

Now for the good. Even with the crap tires that came on the bike (dunlop d616's) it handles well, turn in is precise and it holds a line well. She runs really low rpm at highway speeds an indicated 65 is turning 3400rpm in 6th. Top end doesn't seem to lack any power still gets 60mph or so out of first gear. And I am really enjoying the sneaky speed of the twin, it never really feels like its going that fast. And it has a very polite unhurried feeling riding around town, first sportbike I've ridden that felt at home putting up and down residential streets. Anyway I would appreciate any info on how the bike should be running if you guys think the carbs need attention or anything else to look for.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
No mention of any attempts by you in way of remediation of complaints.

Might want to try cleaning, balancing the carbs, correctly setting the TPS and fresh spark plugs for the lack of power you speak of.

A 15T front sprocket will give you power wheelies when the motor is right.

Pulling in one direction or another while coasting is a symptom of drive chain misalignment or the forks being tweaked in the triple tree. Even worn out front wheel bearings. (In a worst case, bent frame).

Didn't say what went before, but sixth on a big twin is putt time. Long, lazy cruising. Second through fifth/over 4.5k rpm is sporting mode.

Re-reading your post, I'm willing to bet that the previous owner wasn't much of a wrench and you bought a bike that needs some loving attention. The rewards are there. Mine turned into a LTR after we got sorted out.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
Go to knowledge base and check up on the carb set up thread 8541you hawk did a really nice write up on how to get the carbs right... and do the rest of the maintenance like said before... it should power wheelie pretty easy in first...
Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
By your write up I would first say the pilot jets are clogged. So the carbs need to be pulled and cleaned at the minimum.

Changing the gearing is really not necessary.

The shifting could be a s simple as the bike needs an oil change. These bikes do tend to have "notchy" shifting when the long chain polymers get chewed up.

As for the pulling, it could be a couple of thing but the were covered in PUSHrod's post.

Also you might want to think about changing the fork oil. Sure the stock bits are on the worthless side but I would bet it still has factory fluid in the forks....

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 06-04-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
All of the above. Check.

Wheelies?? I like to do wheelies. Once your bike is running right, there will be no need to change the sprockets. The Superhawk is a very easy bike to power wheelie. Comes up nice and easy. Balance point is real easy to find also. Helps if you stand up on the pegs. You can then keep the front end a little lower and wheelie for as long as you like.
Hope you get your bike running correctly soon.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Squid

George H Hill is on a distinguished road
Could be just that you need to run some good old Chevron Premium a couple times and adjust your chain.
My Hawk is a Wheelie Monster. It wants do wheelie. In fact, when I first got it, after I purchased it from the Prior Owner, I rode it a few blocks away, and accidently wheelied through an intersection in Orem, right by the Police Station. OOPS!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Squid

Colors is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info all,

Carbs definately need a good cleaning, probably sync'd too. Ran three tanks with seafoam through it and it started running alittle smoother but its still missing quite abit of low end. Hopefully next weekend I'll have time to pull the carbs, flush the radiators, and change the oil.