My First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
My First Impressions

Cut and copy from my YZF forum

Originally Posted by Insulinboy
I put about 70 miles on her this afternoon (quick trip to honda dealership to question about a set of stands and cam chain tensioners ) and then on the way home a stop down a twisty but not absurd road. 40mph, no caution signs other than 1 that says curvy road next 2 miles

Took mostly highway to honda dealership and home to get used to the power of the bike (I say highway, its a 55mph road 4 lane with multiple stop lights so I had a chance to start and stop the motorcycle several times and get her up to speed, never took her past 3500rpms on the way there or back to the curvy road)

The reach is a little farther than the YZF, its not too uncomfortable, but after a while I could tell I'd rather be just a tad more upright. This problem could be solved if I lost about 20 or 30 lbs and my stomach wasn't in the way of me scooting a little farther forward towards the bars. I honestly think i may have the same issue on a YZF right now The throttle response is crisp and tastier than some perfectly cooked maple smoked bacon.. damn this is how I got fat.. let me try this again.. The throttle response is perfectly sweet like the cherry on top of a banana split sundae.. erm.. I'm hungry now... :lol

Okay so in all seriousness the throttle response is EXACTLY what I was looking for on the bottom end, This is motorcycle bliss.. I know I was at one time on the why does anyone need more than a 600 bandwagon because even that is too much, but the butter smooth bottom end and the fact that at 70mph (the speed of most of the highways in my area) its only spinning 3500rpm in 6th is just heavenly. No buzz anywhere, its like a Cadillac.

So after my 50 mile jaunt to the stealer and back ($100 for a pair of stands, I'm not going to complain, they look decent so I'm going to order them when I get back from my big race at the end of august, I'll let everyone know) I decide to continue on to said windy road in my back yard just to get a feel for handling. Unfortunately new bike + wet roads = I made Midlife Crisis look fast (sorry for the knock Rick but you know I don't really mean anything by it other than I kept the bike mostly straight up :lol ) Unfortunately I came around a blind corner and I almost dumped the bike, I was going slow (about 30mph in the 40) but there was some wet cedar chips in the road (I didn't even think about the fact that the logging trucks had been running today or I would have avoided the road and waited for a better day) I got some pucker factor but it was a right hand turn and I could see just far enough ahead that there was no traffic coming and I got the bike straight up as quickly as possibly pulled the clutch and vered into the other lane (clear of debris) for the 6 or 7' of road that was hazardous but I got a little wobble out of the bars that made me pucker up a lot. Im sure that I was being more cautious than I needed to, but I'm still a little scared of the bike between the power of it and the fact that its been so long that I've been on one. I'm thinking an MSF beginners course would be a wonderful refresher and I will be looking one up and other than some casual commuting I may stay off it till such time I can get to one.. We shall see.

Anyway this all took me to the bad part of the bike (or what I consider to be the bad part) I make the first turn off said hazardous road that I see and get on one of these backwoods barely enough room for a truck and a bike roads that only local traffic drives and end up getting myself lost somehow :lol (I'm less than 2 miles from home and get lost somehow, go figure.. I guess I am getting old ) I now have 65 miles on my tank and guess what.. thats right, low fuel light.. FARK! I knew I should have stopped for fuel when I passed the station on my way home but I'm thinking, 45 miles on my tank.. I have plenty.. Holy crap.. I get to the gas station all the 10 miles thinking god I hope I don't have to call someone to bring me a gas can.. that would just be stupidly embarrassing.. Get to gas station.. 2.5 gallons.. I miss that 5 gallon YZF tank already :lol

All in all I think I'm really going to like this bike. I'm glad though that I did turn it down my first trip and took the time to do some research before going back for it. There is a Super Chicken forum that is VERY much like this forum is, ATGATT, Good pointers, mechanical advice, ect that I have signed up for and have been posting in. Ironically there were a few memebers in a little mini meet at the gap the same time we were there :lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I've posted to you already about the gear topic, but welcome to the forum! It's a great bike as you can see from the cult like following date I say. There are some fixes to mention from your post: to get more upright you can put on VFR bars or superbike bars, and a suspension job by Jamie (look up DMr suspension) will make the bike even better! Ride safe and enjoy the new found toy
Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Mmmm, I ate some dragon earlier this week (Posted pics elsewhere).

The range is my biggest gripe too (I'm sure most of us are in the same wagon). I get about 125 before my light comes on with 16/43 gearing. I've learned to deal for now. They VFR tank swap would be nice, but I'm too lazy!

Glad to hear you made it through your pucker moment! I was following kardiac996 last season through a nice curvy road when he slid through some washout gravel right in front of me. We were cookin' pretty good and I though I was watching him go down! He kept his cool and when the tires came out of the pebbles they offered up enough grip to let him ride on. And yes, all 3 of us were fully geared up!

Again, welcome to the board!!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insulinboy
Cut and copy from my YZF forum
I have done the handlebar mod and rotated the clip ons forward quite a bit. Lowers the bod against the tank, feels like you're in the bike not on it and helps centralize mass. Comfy, you may want to play around with that.
No dump on cedar chips? Icing on the Superhawk cake!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
**** was scary lol.

Originally Posted by Wolverine

Glad to hear you made it through your pucker moment! I was following kardiac996 last season through a nice curvy road when he slid through some washout gravel right in front of me. We were cookin' pretty good and I though I was watching him go down! He kept his cool and when the tires came out of the pebbles they offered up enough grip to let him ride on. And yes, all 3 of us were fully geared up!

Again, welcome to the board!!