General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Dyno results..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Superstock

mikecronis
Dyno results..

This seems low.. but.. I know there's DynoJet vs. WinDyn (which they used). They said they corrected for altitude. It's a stock bike with a K&N, re-jetted for altitude (smaller jets).

Opinions? (Oh, and they spelled my name wrong.. CronAS.. nice.) ;(
Attached Thumbnails Dyno results..-dyno.jpg  
Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Seems a little low, but I've seen it before too. Why smaller jets? I know about the altitude thing(I grew up in Aurora) but the bikes are kind of lean stock, then add in the K&N and you might be WAY lean.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Superstock

mikecronis
Bike was running rich even -after- the jets. Honda service manual recommends 1 size down above 4000 ft. altitude. After I did so, bike was VERY MUCH more snappy and accurate. Still not getting enough air though, plugs were dark (but not overly so). I ride a lot in the mountains near Mt.Evans and what-not so I'm usually at altitudes around 10-12,000 feet. I tried that altitude with stock jets and couldn't even get the bike to start for quite some time, now it's a breeze.

Dyno was done at 6000ft. Supposedly altitude was adjusted-for. Dynojet says the Hp was 93.0, STP says 87.9 DynoJet dyno, altitude-corrected. I was told that resistance was set to "normal" (so just a bit) but was told a lot of people that dyno bikes set it to a negative rating, giving inflated results. By adjusting this, it gives the customer happy smiles, or so he says, but it's bogus.

I'm still getting around 46mpg.

Suggestions?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:01 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
The question is are you unhappy with the way the bike rides and feels? If not, then who cares what the dyno says. If you still have stock gearing try adding a couple teeth to the rear sprocket. That makes a big difference in the feel and response.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
Ah, well I'm down a tooth in the front. The bikes feels snappy but, being a technical sort, I just was wondering if these values are poor and therefore something's wrong or not.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Two points:
1) torque curve is really nice and flat
2) output decreases approx 3% per 1000 ft, so your numbers at sea level would be almost 20% higher
Old 01-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
Supposedly they compensated for altitude, though.. that's where I'm concerned. If they didn't, then I'm better than good, losing only about 13%, if they DID compensate, then I am losing 13% for no good reason.

They gave me another chart that indicates SAEPwr vs. STPPwr vs. DJWhPw. I think it's a rating of two dynometers. I believe the first one is Hp of 84.5, the second is the corrected version that reads 87.9 and then the final one, 93 Hp is what DynoJet would read.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by drew_c14
but the bikes are kind of lean stock, then add in the K&N and you might be WAY lean.
I don't agree with you on this. With HRC needles and stock jets I'm right at 14:1. The pilots are a touch lean, but the stock mains are fine unless you do engine mods or try an aftermarket filter.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
I may be the Dyno; look at this Factory Pro dyno run:
Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Drew,

I dunno about yours, but mine was rich stock at sea level. After the bafflectomy and shimming needles it was closer to optimum. Then I went to K&N and slip-on and was a new story from there.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:04 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
seems low

Originally Posted by Jim TT
I may be the Dyno; look at this Factory Pro dyno run:
aprox w/ jet kit (jets unknown) & 2bros per ur chart

peak hp 94 @ 8700
" tq 62 @ 7000
hp = tq @ 5200

seem a bit low 100+ & 67+ possible

eh Greg?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Old Guy
Squid

LotusLand is on a distinguished road
Just what is it that they do when they "adjust for altitude"? The bike can be adjusted for altitude as you have done, but a dyno? Do dyno's work different at 6K feet?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Greg, all readings I have seen on the Factory Pro dyno are low, that is my point, dynos read differently and a base line run vs runs with mods is what matters not the reading itself. Are you making more power with the change you are testing is the only relavent question.

BTW the jets on the above run are Factory Pro.

Lotusland, there is a mathematical correction formula for altitude, barometric pressure and temperature. JIM

Last edited by Jim TT; 01-27-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Superstock

mikecronis
Generally, Hp & torque should be about 3% loss per 1000 feet of altitude. At over 4000ft altitude, since the bikes are carburated, they should be rejetted (see "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance") leaner (ie. smaller jets). At 6000 ft. (Denver) you automatically lose 18% off the bat. Altitude adjustment just adds the 18% back on for customer approval and grins but it's BS. It's just a, "This is what you'd get a sea-level" with perfect barometer readings number by multiplying (in this case) the 18% you lost on top of the actual number.

I've known a few non-jetted Colorado Shawks only getting 35 mpg or less, sometimes in the high 20s. I'm getting 41-46mpg and once over 50mpg on a long, slow boring prairie ride. My low-fuel light comes on at 146 miles or later. My speedo has be re-calibrated to GPS spot-on using a Garmin StreetPilot C340 and an installed Speedohealer (which I recommend).

I guess I'm about where I should be on Hp, so I'm pretty happy. Vibrations mysteriously "went away". They re-adjusted the carbs using the pressure guage as opposed to eyeballed 2 1/2 turns out BS and hmmmmm... what do you know? Still, they said it was already spot-on before they checked it. I doubt it.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Your speedo healer is throwing off your odometer, which just happens to be right on the mark. The speedo is off about 7-8% optimistic from the factory. So this is going to throw off your MPG calculations as well. If I'm thinking correctly, this will actually give you better mileage than what you think you're getting.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Superstock

mikecronis
Agreed, and good point but I already calculated for that.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Your speedo healer is throwing off your odometer, which just happens to be right on the mark. The speedo is off about 7-8% optimistic from the factory. So this is going to throw off your MPG calculations as well. If I'm thinking correctly, this will actually give you better mileage than what you think you're getting.
I thought the speedo reads off the countershaft sprocket and is set for the OEM 16/41 sprocket combo and OEM Dunolp D204s (were D204s the oem rubber, its been so long)? If you go up 2 teeth in the rear you will read 4%faster on the speedo, or approximately 12~13% faster than actual. The diameter of whatever the tires are + or - the OEM Dunlops will also be a factor (excluding wear). Correct?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yeah, but I didn't check your math. Point is, if stock the speedo reads high and the odo is spot on, no matter what you change the gearing to, if you use the healer/black box to calibrate the speed correctly then the odo will be "slow".