General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Died and want start

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Squid

rdt0086 is on a distinguished road
Died and want start

Folks the other day...I started my bike (year 2000) and she was running for a few minutes (just letting her warm up) and then she just died. After that I had no electrical power what so ever. My battery is less that 3 months old, but I checked anyway and it had a full charge. I have not had time to look at anything else, but I am thinking the ignition sense when I turn the key just to "On" usually the neutral indicator light comes on, but i am getting nothing.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Probably your Regulator/Rectifier has fried, esp if its an early unfinned version.

Might need a new battery as that can get cooked in the process.

Search in the forum for Regulator Rectifier as it's a common failure. And have a search for cam chain tensioner as that's another weak point...

Last edited by Wicky; 01-13-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
You should also check the main fuse under the rear cowl by the starter relay
Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Squid

I checked the fuse.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Squid

Thanks, I will look more into this but I did not think it was that (Regulator Rectifier) since the power to the Neutral switch light should not be routed through the regulator rectifier according to the tech manual, but sometimes these manuals do not show everything. That's why I thought I would ask from those with experience before I started piddling with it this weekend.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by rdt0086
I checked the fuse.
The fuses in the fuse block or the main fuse?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I think you are misinterpreting the cause & effect of the RR. When it fails, it doesnt charge the battery so the bike runs ONLY on battery power til it sucks it dry and dies. This now dead battery cant light up your dash.

If you dont own a cheap battery charger, scurry out and get one. Charge your battery and then you will be at square one with a lit dash. Test voltage (cheap voltmeter fine) across the battery terminals before and durring running.

My bet is that it will nose dive while running til it dies. Mine failed in 100* heat in Brooklyn and I had to push it for miles to get off the highway. You got lucky.

Be sure you checked the MAIN fuse which sits by itself and not just the fuse block
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good points made, but I would also check the CDI box - turn key to on & if U hear a clicking sound its the CDI unit thats fried. (location is toward rear of bike - on right side, I believe)

It happened to me years back while lane splitting on hiway, DOH - VTR just died, but still had battery power.

It sucked as it ruined a moto trip I had planned.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Squid

strathern is on a distinguished road
Hi.

Im having a similar problem. I hav a new battery and a brand new optimate 4 charger. When i connect the bike up i will get the usual dash lights. When i try to start the bike all i get is alot of clicking coming from the relay thats next to the seat at the left of the bike. The bike hasnt ran for nearly 3 months.

last week when i tried to start the bike it was turning over very very slowly. everything else seemed fine.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
Good points made, but I would also check the CDI box - turn key to on & if U hear a clicking sound its the CDI unit thats fried. (location is toward rear of bike - on right side, I believe)

It happened to me years back while lane splitting on hiway, DOH - VTR just died, but still had battery power.

It sucked as it ruined a moto trip I had planned.

Fair advice, but you are missing one ratger important piece... If he has a damaged R/R that's producing overvoltage, running the bike at all will kill the CDI if it's still functional... Ie, check R/R first and rule it out conclusively, then check the other stuff... Saves a lot of money doing it in that order...
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by strathern
Hi.

Im having a similar problem. I hav a new battery and a brand new optimate 4 charger. When i connect the bike up i will get the usual dash lights. When i try to start the bike all i get is alot of clicking coming from the relay thats next to the seat at the left of the bike. The bike hasnt ran for nearly 3 months.

last week when i tried to start the bike it was turning over very very slowly. everything else seemed fine.
What's your batt voltage at?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Hi.

Have you made sure the ground lead is clean and tight?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Check battery +- connections are all clean & tight - starter cable and esp. where it connects into the starter motor, as the bolt can corrode, due to it where it gets hit from all the road crud. Can you short the starter relay to get it to turnover the starter?

Hi.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Squid

I checked and cleaned all my connections. Found some oxidisation on some of the connections. Tried to start it but nothing. So i took the battery out and thought i would try and charge it. Re fitted it and fired up after a few turns. Tried it numerous times now and fires up pretty well.

Thanks for your assistance guys.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
So... You have an unidentified problem, with an unclear solution that just kind of "fixed itself"?

Sounds like a great recipe for a reliable bike... No chance at all that it will leave you stranded somewhere in the future... None at all...

I'd keep diggin if I where in your spot... It kind of makes it mroe fun to ride if I know I'm not walking home...
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
So... You have an unidentified problem, with an unclear solution that just kind of "fixed itself"?
LOL! Couldn't phrase it better!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Squid

turns out the charger was at fault. When i put on the battery on the new charger it read that the battery was only half charged whereas the old charger said that it was fully charged. I'm guessing it was the battery all along.