Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bogged out and died after topoff.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Bogged out and died after topoff.

Built the bike back up finally 3 days ago and wanted to ride before the snow hit. I topped the tank off (to the bottom of fuel tank cap hole) and took off, made it 4/10ths of a mile and the bike cut out. Waited a minute or two and it fired right up. It happened once more at the 1/2 mile mark. popped the cap, closed it and rode the next 30 miles uninteruped. I got home and checked the hose routing 3x and it is correct according to the shop manual. I am hopping that by trying to get every managible drop into the tank I over filled it and was cutting off the vent tube. Any thoughts?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Superstock

Figured I was being an idiot. Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I often overfill (trying to stretch my tank i guess) and haven't had that problem although it has been reported previously on several occasions. I rarely get off the bike to fuel so that it is sitting straight up when filling and so mine is up to the top 99% of the time.

You said you checked the routing of the overflow hose, but did you test it for flow.

If you have a container of gas, put a bowl on the ground and pour some gas down the overflow hole and check for flow. If it doesn't flow quickly w/o restriction, stand back and throw a match in the tank opening, then close the lid (unless you want to toast marshmallows, nah, forget that). Better to just part it out. Should flow quickly out the bottom.

If not, and if you have a compressor, direct some air down the overflow hole w/o blowing gas all over yourself to make sure there is no restriction or air pocket.

The only other thing I can imagine is that the hose end is directed forward or oriented in such a way that air is stopping flow while riding in which case you would need to route the hose differently or do your riding in reverse.

When you're sure everything is copacetic, overfill the tank, shut the lid and test ride it because it shouldn't be stalling.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Its a common problem under specific conditions to vapor lock if you overfill. Ony happened to me twice over the yrs. Of course once was the middle of the Bklyn bridge so I had to pull the clutch, remove the ignition key, open the gas cap, relock it, replace the key and start it up while coasting at 50 in traffic (downhill side). Just made it.

So don't fill it all the way, but it doesnt even have to interupt your forward progress.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
You say you"built the bike back up", you sure you have the hoses on the petcock correct?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by nath981
I often overfill (trying to stretch my tank i guess) and haven't had that problem although it has been reported previously on several occasions. I rarely get off the bike to fuel so that it is sitting straight up when filling and so mine is up to the top 99% of the time.

You said you checked the routing of the overflow hose, but did you test it for flow.

If you have a container of gas, put a bowl on the ground and pour some gas down the overflow hole and check for flow. If it doesn't flow quickly w/o restriction, stand back and throw a match in the tank opening, then close the lid (unless you want to toast marshmallows, nah, forget that). Better to just part it out. Should flow quickly out the bottom.

If not, and if you have a compressor, direct some air down the overflow hole w/o blowing gas all over yourself to make sure there is no restriction or air pocket.

The only other thing I can imagine is that the hose end is directed forward or oriented in such a way that air is stopping flow while riding in which case you would need to route the hose differently or do your riding in reverse.

When you're sure everything is copacetic, overfill the tank, shut the lid and test ride it because it shouldn't be stalling.
Good points. I will try the tests tomorrow when I can borry my buds air comp. and see what happens. Thanks for the insight.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Superstock

smokinjoe73: Yeah I freaked. Thought I F-ed up againwith the hose routing but after the rains pass in the next week Ill know for sure what is going on.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by jay956
You say you"built the bike back up", you sure you have the hoses on the petcock correct?
Yes, I am positive, I have looked on line, on the EVAP chart on the bike and in the Shop Manual and all three look the same (even though the one on the bike is sketchy to read). I think I can be a pro at hooking up the vac, fuel, and coolant line on this modle now!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Actually I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it turns into a recurring issue. Mine actually did the same thing the other night and it hasn't done it in over 10 yrs.

Just topped off the tank got on the freeway and a few miles later it cut out.
Did thew standard stop and open the tank and it started right back up and no issues from that time.

So you either overfilled a little bit or managed to pick up a drop of water in the vent line.

Which goes back to my first statement of don't worry too much about it. If it continues to happen check the vent line to make sure it has no low spots.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Actually I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it turns into a recurring issue. Mine actually did the same thing the other night and it hasn't done it in over 10 yrs.

Just topped off the tank got on the freeway and a few miles later it cut out.
Did thew standard stop and open the tank and it started right back up and no issues from that time.

So you either overfilled a little bit or managed to pick up a drop of water in the vent line.

Which goes back to my first statement of don't worry too much about it. If it continues to happen check the vent line to make sure it has no low spots.
I should have read this when you first posted it, but I now I have kitchen with the nice scent of fuel as an air freshner. Havnt tested it out yet due to the rain and all the sand still on the streets from the snow. I took a roll of solder and threaded it up to where the vent line comes down from the tank, inserted it into the vent line and taped it to it. pulled the vent line thru and Viola! (I hope). No pinching, or low spots and away from heat and moving parts. If this doesnt work then Ill just carry fuel in canteens and keep my bike at 1/2 tank while I ride!