Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

anyone running Stg 1 cams and stock comp?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
anyone running Stg 1 cams and stock comp?

I have been some research on past threads in relation to Stage 1 cams, ported heads and the like and was wondering if anyone is running Stage 1 cams (preferably Moriwaki) along with stock pistons and no head decking? Gas-flowed heads would be nice too. If so, what kind of performance are you getting out of this combo (would assume you also have slip-ons?) ? Have you had any loss on the bottom-end? etc....

I will be installing the heads I picked on fleaBay in the not-too-distant future (once the porting work has been done) and am looking at the possibility of complementing this with Stage 1 cams. I was, therefore, wondering how this combo works?

cheers

P.S. Before people jump in with the "but you have to add high-comp pistons ...yada yada yada", I may look at adding some next year (hence my current disposition to likely steer away from decking the heads) but for now, my budget doesn't allow it (not so much the cost of the pistons as the installation; engine removal,....) so kindly refrain from sharing this type of wisdom...please
Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I did cams alone while waiting for some other parts. I listened that they were 'drop in' items so didn't time them, just put them into the bike. A before after dyno showed no real change in performance. there may have been a hp up or down in certain rpm ranges but nothing much. And this was as an isolated change. When the other parts and time to do the work finally came in (including a used ebay motor to buiild over the winter), I took the time to actually time the cams when I put them in. I found that just dropping them in the timing was off by aruond 3 degrees (this motor had 16K miles on it). I never went back and checked the timing on my original motor, but perhaps this was the problem. So, I would say, as an isolated mod, save your time/money - and if you still want to do it, at least time them to spec when you put them in the bike. In the bike, it is a real PAI to time them however. I would imagine with the port work though, which I think your note indicates you are probably going to be doing, they would contribute.

good luck

bill
Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Thanks Bill

cheers
Old 05-03-2007, 02:24 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
G'day. My info is the same as Bill, without those other bits that you don't want me to mention, you may not realise much. They do (those other bits) work in conjunction with the cams. One or the other doesn't do much until you add them together.