Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Pick-up driver tries to kill motorcyclist

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:39 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Pick-up driver tries to kill motorcyclist

A friend emailed this to me. Sorry, but I don't know how to post the link to Youtube.

Go to Youtube and search "pick-up driver tries to kill motorcyclist".

It happens on a country road in Bracken County, Kentucky. I've had similar experiences, and it's hard to figure what makes these people tick.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
Pickup driver tries to run motorcyclist off the road — Autoblog

yeah thats been on another forum i read for several days. check out some of the asshat comments that were posted. a good reason to CCW while motorcycling... - Glock Talk Alot of morons there think its the bikers fault.

Personaly i would have shot him when he came at me with the pipe.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice road!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Squid

Tinyhuge is on a distinguished road
Wow I'm seeing red after watching the video. I have a feeling I would have been arrested after the confrontation if I was involved...
Old 05-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Back Marker

Seems to me an attempted murder charge would teach that redneck some manners. I know it would never stick but it might humble him some.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Squid

InZanity is on a distinguished road
Great video to watch as i am just learning to ride.
thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Something similar to this happened to me once a couple years ago. My buddy passes, then the guy tries to run me off the road when I attempted to pass. I was forced into grabbing a handful of brake. Then he proceeded to "toy" with me for a while with constant slowing and accelerating. I just decided to ride it out and calmly follow. After a few miles he parked sideways right in the middle of the road! I stopped for a second, but I wasn't about to engage in any confrontation. Who knows what kind of weapon some hillbilly might be toting around. His door opened, I bolted.

But I gotta say that I don't entirely blame these people for getting pissed. However, they dealt with it in a very irresponsible way. Most of us riders aint exactly saints. The dude in the vid mentions something about growing up on that road. I mean, how would you feel if day after day bikes are screaming by your front lawn? Sometimes triple the speed limit. And lets say you have zero interest in motorcycles, and a few youngans running around.

Ever since my little incident, this type of thing crosses my mind every time I come up to make a pass on double yellow or at elevated speeds. Myself, and many of the guys I ride with, have started giving a little wave as we pass. We figure a little recognition, as opposed to total ignorance, goes a long way to not anger people so much. I even try to wave when if I happen to notice someone just sitting on their porch. Maybe shift up a gear sometimes too. Basically, I just try to be a little more respectful.

Maybe it will improve some peoples view of motorcyclists, maybe not. But can't hurt. Plus, nearly every car has a cell phone nowadays. Maybe people are less likely to call the cops on a "friendly" guy.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
This happened in Northern Ky... I've been following it since about a day after it happened...

There was some debate over if the riders wanted to turn the video in, fearing that the double yellow pass would stick in the minds of those who don't ride, and it would backfire on them... But it looks like after thinking it over, they did allow authorities to have the video, and as of now, they are ignoring the double yellow pass and speed questions for the riders...

i hope they cook this f'er...
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by joshuatest
This happened in Northern Ky... I've been following it since about a day after it happened...

There was some debate over if the riders wanted to turn the video in, fearing that the double yellow pass would stick in the minds of those who don't ride, and it would backfire on them... But it looks like after thinking it over, they did allow authorities to have the video, and as of now, they are ignoring the double yellow pass and speed questions for the riders...

i hope they cook this f'er...

Honestly, I would gladly take the improper passing ticket if it meant crucifying the moron in the pickup.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I always carry when riding and I would have been mighty tempted to shoot him at the stop. The guy should be in jail.

He looked drunk to me.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
haha passing on a double yellow and speeding is a light slap on the wrist, maybe a wreckless op, I would have turned the video over if I were in it. good for them for remaining calm and shame on that man for acting irresponsibly. I, however, would never pass like that, patience is a virtue did we all forget?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM
MotoGP

In the early '80s I was riding with 2 friends, who were ahead of me, on Carbon Canyon Road (a rural road in SoCal which was lightly traveled at that time). They both got past this slow moving low rider Monte Carlo with 3 or 4 guys in it, and I figured I had just enough room before the upcoming sharp lefthander. As I started to go around him, he punched it into passing gear. I made it around him, but there was no way I was making the lefthander, so I went wide into the dirt, around a telephone pole, then back onto the asphalt on the other side of the curve, ahead of the Monte Carlo.

When I caught up to my buddies about a mile down the road, we waited for them to come along, but they never did.

That's only one of the many times I've had a cager try to take me out (or hang me out to dry) in the 30 years and 190,000 miles I've been riding.

The guys in that video did the right thing. The rear rider hung back, since it was possible suicide to attempt a pass.

I don't understand the mentality of idiots who try to kill motorcyclists.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Ha, your so old Surfer!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
Ha, your so old Surfer!
I don't look that old, my hair's still blond, but my body feels it sometimes. 64 years with a lot of good times, and still doing the canyons. There are a few of us on the forum.

You're as old as you feel.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 05-31-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I just thought it was funny because you were riding with friends when I was crapping a diaper. Just saying...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
I just thought it was funny because you were riding with friends when I was crapping a diaper. Just saying...
No sweat... Frequently, when I'm riding one of my shortboards at the local beachbreak near my house, I'm old enough to be the grandfather of all the other guys in the water.

And actually I've been riding since 1964. I just never owned a bike until 1981.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 05-31-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Id like to know whatever happened from this incident, if the truck driver got any charges or anything. I've had a woman recently lock her breaks up in front of me then flip out at a stop sign because I was following kinda close looking for a chance to pass her...people are scary
Old 06-01-2011, 08:47 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Real tempting to beat the guy to a pulp, but it's happened to me and my buddy several times. I'd be curious to know the outcome of turning over the tape. is there a local web site to follow it?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
read somewhere that it is LEGAL to pass on double yellow in certain situations in KY. ain't that some ****?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nothing
read somewhere that it is LEGAL to pass on double yellow in certain situations in KY. ain't that some ****?
I think this would only apply in situations following a tractor or something... However I ride lots of KY back roads, and while I try my best to only pass in a passing zone, I have on occasion made a decision to (in my opinion) make a safe pass in a double yellow based on available visual range and such...

I think the riders where more worried about a reckless driving ticket and having the cops constantly patrol the road for biker after seeing it... it doesn't look like that is the case...

here is the original thread.... sorry, LOTS of pages of not much good info...

KY 10, 22 Riders WARNING
Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM
MotoGP

At least half of the drivers won't pull over to let a motorcycle, or anyone, pass. So I wait until I have a clear, safe shot, then get around them quickly. And on a tight road, that can take a while.

But it is a crap shoot, as far as getting nailed for a ticket. Here in SoCal the CHP sometimes uses the "eye in the sky" to get motorcyclists for unsafe moves on popular canyon roads.

And when a driver does pull over to allow a pass, I always give them a big wave.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Back Marker

lukenukem47 is on a distinguished road
I pity the fool that is stupid enough to do that to me. 1. My hand to hand is the same training that correction/ police get trained in. 2. I have advanced knife avoidance training. Along with the little trick that removes a pistol and breaks fingers at the same time. And last, I am a Uspsa competition speed shooter that has a ccw and my fastest draw time is just under a second. I don't look tough but at a arms length I can take a knife while in the hand of a suspect and plant it just under his ribcage almost faster then drawing my gun. I am also PPCT certified. I will put someone in the hospital unless he shows deadly force then he will go to a funeral. I have had only one chance to use my skills and by the second hit the guy was falling to his knees while trying to keep from passing out. This fall I hope to be picked up by Michigan dept of corrections or detroit police. Latly been leaning in the area of 911 dispatch because of the layoff's, Not sure yet who knows.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by lukenukem47
I pity the fool that is stupid enough to do that to me. 1. My hand to hand is the same training that correction/ police get trained in. 2. I have advanced knife avoidance training. Along with the little trick that removes a pistol and breaks fingers at the same time. And last, I am a Uspsa competition speed shooter that has a ccw and my fastest draw time is just under a second. I don't look tough but at a arms length I can take a knife while in the hand of a suspect and plant it just under his ribcage almost faster then drawing my gun. I am also PPCT certified. I will put someone in the hospital unless he shows deadly force then he will go to a funeral. I have had only one chance to use my skills and by the second hit the guy was falling to his knees while trying to keep from passing out. This fall I hope to be picked up by Michigan dept of corrections or detroit police. Latly been leaning in the area of 911 dispatch because of the layoff's, Not sure yet who knows.

I think you are gonna need those skills in detroit. Good luck with your hiring process, I hear it is long and stressful.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lukenukem47
When pressed, I'm pretty good at swearing...