Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.
The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.
State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.
___
Information from: The Post-Standard, http://www.syracuse.com

Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Well, I guess he really got his point across.......What more is there to say?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
I can't think of a better example of the real life definition of irony...
Old 07-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
To each his own, but riding without a helmet is willful ignorance. I'm ignorant enough without that, so I'll stick with my full-face.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
I don't like helmet laws, but wear one all the time. I guess it's a throwback to when there was a helmet law in Ohio. You had to lock your helmet down or it would get stolen and then you were stuck trying to get home without.

Still, the whole thing reminded me of what my industrial arts professor in college told us, "Never NEVER demonstrate the wrong way to do something, you will get bit!" I guess this guy got bit. In one fell swoop they probably destroyed any chance for the law to be repealed, by demonstrating what happens when you do the wrong thing and the unexpected happens.

Of course I also have said if almost everyone wore a helmet there'd never be a law passed requiring them.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
So much missing from the story. So many people have axes to grind.

Fishtailed? Only if you use the rear brake as the primary brake. Operator error.
No Helmet? Did he have catastrophic insurance coverage? Not said.
Weather conditions? No mention.

Its HOT here in Fla. In the last week I have seen three riders (and one passenger) wearing flip flops on the feet and short pants while their helmets were strapped to the seat frame. I guess they would rather bleed and walk funny for the rest of their lives than sweat a little.

But, hey, this is 'Merica, where unpopular laws are not obeyed and rarely enforced.

MY mama says that I'm smart and good lookin', so watch how much I'll spend on the next helmet I buy. Got contents to protect, dontchaknow.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I always wear one, but I have despise nanny state laws that try to tell us how to live. cheers to that guy!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I wear a helmet because of the state law, but I'm strongly against them (the state laws). people have a right to wear or not to wear in my opinion. Too bad the guy had to die and give safety mongers yet another excuse.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I little more info from the web . . .

Philip Contos rode his Harley-Davidson in Saturday’s annual Onondaga County protest ride without a helmet.
And he’d do it again if he could, Richard Contos said Sunday, even as he mourned his brother’s death.
“He would have wanted it that way,” the older Contos said.
Philip Contos died after he went over the handlebars of his Harley during a helmet protest ride on Route 11 in the town of Onondaga. Contos, 55, of Parish, was pronounced dead at Upstate University Hospital after the 1:30 p.m. incident, state police said Saturday.
By Sunday afternoon, Richard Contos was getting sick of the calls from the media pointing out the terrible irony in his brother’s death.
Instead, Contos wanted to talk about his younger brother – a truck driver by trade, a former U.S. Army soldier and a hater of nearly all things involving the government.
“He’s a rebel,” said the older brother, who lives in Liverpool. “That’s what he felt like doing. He protested everything.”
On Saturday, Philip Contos was protesting New York’s helmet law during the 11th annual Helmet Protest Run, organized by the Onondaga County chapter of American Bikers Aimed Towards Education.
The group, known as ABATE, supports biker education and training. The group is trying to work with state and national transportation officials to put more tax money into training young motorcyclists and less into setting up police roadblocks that target only bikers, said Christinea Rathbun, the president of the Syracuse ABATE chapter.
But members do not believe the government has any business telling bikers whether to wear a helmet.
Contos’ death will not change that, Rathbun said on Sunday.
“Absolutely not,” she said. “It’s not going to stop us protesting our right to wear a helmet or not wear a helmet. It’s your own risk.”
Rathbun was not on Saturday’s ride, but she said she had talked to people who were. Rathbun and Richard Contos said the accident happened because Philip’s bootlaces got stuck in a chain.
The biker looked down to inspect the problem, looked up and saw traffic slowing and slammed on the brakes, Richard Contos said, repeating what state police told him. That sudden braking caused the motorcycle to fishtail and Phil Contos lost control, state police said Saturday.
It’s the only accident in the protest ride’s 11-year history, Rathbun said.
“Most of them are also in shock,” she said of Contos’ fellow riders.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
I always wear one, but I have despise nanny state laws that try to tell us how to live. cheers to that guy!
Same here. I wear one and would even if it weren't required by law, although I suppose there are times when I might ride to the convenience store without one.
Mr. Contos made his decision and suffered the consequences, which is exactly what he wanted.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
I don't like helmet laws, it's my choice if i wear one. I will admit vanity played a role in that type of thinking when i was younger. I rode to get girls and i wanted them to see me and i didn't want to mess up my hair. I think alot of people think like that but won't admit it. Now that i am older, married and have a buzz cut, i don't care as much. I was also from the generation where we didn't wear helmets when riding around on our bmx bikes. People that wore helmets at that time would have been picked on. Now i insist my kids wear helmets, so i guess i'm a hypocrite. It is nice on those cold night though, wearing a helmet and not having a cold head or ringing in my ears.

I too agree that more time should be spent on motorcyclist training like especially testing reaction times and panic stops. Too many people out there that can pull the throttle fast, but don't know to brake hard and keep control. On the other hand, i wouldn't mind a law that made you wear full race gear. That sure would weed out a lot of the squids riding these days.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Same here. I wear one and would even if it weren't required by law, although I suppose there are times when I might ride to the convenience store without one.
I've done the occasional helmetless jaunt up the street when tuning the bike. It's tough to ride in the Arizona heat without a helmet- that hot dry wind will burn you out in 10 minutes.

I think sometimes motorcycle safety is mistakenly put in the same category as car safety. Cages have seatbelts, airbags, and vehicle safety restrictions because most people out of necessity drive cars (in the U.S. at least). What this means is that people are out "risking their lives" in cars on the road because it is the only way that they are able to get to work or function. And every bonehead and their sister are out on the road whether they want to be or not.

Everyone knows that riding a motorcycle inherently puts the risk factor much higher than that of a cage. Essentially, a motorcyclist is saying, I am aware that I am using a means of transport that is very likely to shorten my lifespan. And I accept that risk because I feel the benefits are worth it.

Then when that very same person makes that very same statement, but instead of "riding a motorcycle" they say "riding a motorcycle without a helmet", people get offended. If you really want to create a safer environment, then ban motorcycles. You'd have much less deaths and injuries per year if you did that. It's this way of thinking that makes me agree with what you guys are saying- I choose to wear a helmet, but don't tell me that I have to.

Last edited by 7moore7; 07-05-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Well said.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superdutyd
On the other hand, i wouldn't mind a law that made you wear full race gear. That sure would weed out a lot of the squids riding these days.

Would also weed out alot of the motorcycle manufacturers. Average person rides for fun. Leathers in august in MS takes all the fun out of it.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Bluesuperhawk83
Would also weed out alot of the motorcycle manufacturers. Average person rides for fun. Leathers in august in MS takes all the fun out of it.
Of course i was kidding. The government would never make us do that................. would they?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Of course i was kidding. The government would never make us do that................. would they?
They would if we let 'em
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I don't like helmet laws, it's my choice if i wear one. I will admit vanity played a role in that type of thinking when i was younger. I rode to get girls and i wanted them to see me and i didn't want to mess up my hair..........
What? To get girls? I'd have a better chance of getting them if I WORE a helmet.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:08 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
We should make a law making it illegal to put firecrackers in your own mouth! And also ban not breathing. While we are at it, let's make it illegal to snort battery acid!

If stupid people want to do stupid things that only risks their own life... Let them! One less mouth breather on the planet. I wear a helmet, even though it is not required here in AZ. Those who chose not to do so at no risk to my head.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:08 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Why not pass a law limiting maximum speed in cars/trucks/motorcycles to 25 mph? Just think of how many lives that would save, as well as injuries avoided.

I don't believe in helmet laws (since 1992 in CA), but I wouldn't ride without one. It's a no-brainer... no pun intended.

However... I never wore a helmet while riding on the street (friends bikes) from the mid '60s until 1981. Then I bought a full face helmet before buying my first motorcycle, and I've worn one ever since. I'm on my 6th.

And I've noted from observation that many Harley riders avoid using the front brake. I think they're afraid of going over the bars if they use the front. That's the ironic part.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Squid
Squid

Mike Heffernan is on a distinguished road
I grew up in NH, which still has no helmet law. 99.9% of the motorcycle miles I've ridden in my life have been with a full face helmet. A couple of situations when I took advantage of the freedom to not wear a helmet: 1-working construction during high school/college summers, I'd ride the first few (no more than five) miles leaving the job site until the wind cooled me down a bit, then stop to put the helmet on, 2-I'd ride a few miles home from the barber shop so the little hairs wouldn't get stuck in the helmet liner (the military guys out there probably know what I'm talking about, those high & tight trimmings get embedded in the helmet liner and itch like hell forever). Both minor points, to be sure, but I believe they are decisions which I should have the freedom to make. As far as the whole "shared cost of medical care to society" argument, my favorite counter-point to that is; OK, talk to me about helmet laws after you ban smoking.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Squid

majordomo490 is on a distinguished road
The entire Helmet/No Helmet thing is a joke. Are there rallies protesting airbags, seatbelts,noisy pipes, barking dogs, refrigerators, low flush toilets?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:51 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by majordomo490
The entire Helmet/No Helmet thing is a joke. Are there rallies protesting airbags, seatbelts,noisy pipes, barking dogs, refrigerators, low flush toilets?
Ah, but many people don't wear seat belts, you don't have to put on an airbag, there are protests about barking dogs, I know people who won't give up their 50's fridges, and I know people who smuggle high flush toilets in from Mexico because low flush ones tend to plug up easier...
Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
I do think it's a choice to wear a helmet or not; I agree with most of the comments above.

However.

My mom works for the County Hospital in the spinal injury recovery unit, after seeing 3 guys who had brain injuries WITH helmets on, it's a pretty clear choice that we should have helmets on.

I choose to have one in case I go down. I ride with protection for the worst. It's only a little bit of sweat.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by majordomo490
Perhaps not, but there should be.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 PM
mcg
Squid

mcg is on a distinguished road
I will never forget the sign in the helmet section of the local Triumph dealership where I'd hang out as a young punk ( 70's) ..."If you have a $10 dollar head, wear a $10 helmet"!