Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Gun law

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Squid

steve97 is on a distinguished road
Gun law

Hi Fellas

Me and a friend were having a heated debate on American gun law, (as we might end up with one if the world carries on with its ****) and it occoured to me two brits arguing about something they know nothing about is a bit pointless, but the main thing was, its a felony to carry a concealed weapon ?, but its got to be an offence to walk around with a 45 straped to your hip ?, does that mean you got to keep it at home ? if so whats the point ? having said that if lived over there in the USofA would have me a suitcase full !!

Cheers

Steve
Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
Where I live (Virginia) you can open carry pretty much anywhere except some public places where it is obvious that you shouldn't be, like schools, government buildings, and places that serve alcohol. And you can conceal carry if you have a permit. I walk around with my 40 or 45 all the time. Every state has different laws though.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I was actually looking into this a bit the other day... may own me my first gun soon to join the armed populace so figured I'd get the basics

It varies quite a bit from state to state. Here in Arizona we just passed a law that allows concealed weapons to be carried w/o a permit, but this is an exception in gun rights. Most states do not allow for this, but do allow non-concealed weapons to be carried, and I think there are reasonable restrictions on this (no automatic weapons, etc.)

From my very basic understanding of the law:
It is technically legal to open carry a weapon. Most people do not and so feel threatened when people do... including law enforcement. There are many places where guns cannot be carried or permits are needed (bars, official government buildings, etc...) but for the most part if you are not a felon and are a citizen it is your right to own and carry a gun. There are ongoing debates as to the necessity and severity of gun control here as well...

I'm sure others know much more...
Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
A better question might be. . .

What are your legal responsibilities and requirements if you carry openly?
What are the entanglements if you carry and use it in a given situation?
What happens if you misunderstand the legalities of open carry and use it?

Welcome to America. Land of the wide gulf between testosterone driven lust and the niceties of the law. Even if you are 100% in the right, there is a lawyer somewhere who is going to get a paycheck because of what you do.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Lots of good information at these sites.

http://www.opencarry.org/

http://www.georgiacarry.org/

http://gunowners.org/
Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Even if you are 100% in the right, there is a lawyer somewhere who is going to get a paycheck because of what you do.
True dat! We Americans have trouble wielding our McDonald's coffee without proper training and restrictions given to us. haha!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
step 1 is get a handgun permit. this is required before you can purchase, and would be subject to law enforcement review if they stop you. You should carry this if you are wearing your weapon.

Exceptions are noted above, and there are others, as to where you are allowed to wear it un-concealed.

To carry concealed, you have to have an additional permit. Even with that, it's not legal to carry concealed in those places that prohibit guns.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steve97
Hi Fellas

Me and a friend were having a heated debate on American gun law, (as we might end up with one if the world carries on with its ****) and it occoured to me two brits arguing about something they know nothing about is a bit pointless, but the main thing was, its a felony to carry a concealed weapon ?, but its got to be an offence to walk around with a 45 straped to your hip ?, does that mean you got to keep it at home ? if so whats the point ? having said that if lived over there in the USofA would have me a suitcase full !!

Cheers

Steve
I'm a brit that is now a US Citizen. So I kinda of understand were steve97 is coming from. For most Uk citizen's gun are very alien to them. The Uk has very strict gun control laws. Few if any citizens has ever seen let alone shot a handgun. Mostly the only people in the Uk that have weapons are criminals. Ok you have farmers and a few gun club members, but really that is about it.

Saying that I have used a fair few shotguns in the UK on a Sunday morning.

If you are from the UK, my advice would be to fly to Florida for a nice holiday. Go to the local gun range that rents guns, and plug away. It's a great way to spend an afternoon. Shooting **** that you could never own in the UK. Me I have never felt the need to own a gun. I have lived in the USA for 25 years now. Great county, I miss the UK sometimes and travel back every now and then. But if you really want to shoot up ****. The USA is the place.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
It does all depend on where in the US you are. Most states and even some cities have their own laws.. The only over all laws that you can depend on is that there is some way to legally buy one if you are a citizen and don't have a criminal record, but it isn't always easy.

In AZ, no handgun permit needed, but you do get and have to pass a background check when you make a purchase. (and you need to be over 18 for long gun and 21 for handgun)
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
It does all depend on where in the US you are. Most states and even some cities have their own laws.. The only over all laws that you can depend on is that there is some way to legally buy one if you are a citizen and don't have a criminal record, but it isn't always easy.

In AZ, no handgun permit needed, but you do get and have to pass a background check when you make a purchase. (and you need to be over 18 for long gun and 21 for handgun)
It should be said that no background check (at least here in GA) is required when purchasing from private individuals, which is the only way I will buy a gun. This is the so-called gun show loophole.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by killer5280
It should be said that no background check (at least here in GA) is required when purchasing from private individuals, which is the only way I will buy a gun. This is the so-called gun show loophole.
Ah, true, same here. Private purchase is private. No one else involved and still legal.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Then if you live in the Peoples Republic of California you have a whole different set of laws....... needless to say that is why most of my "collection" are at my dads place in NM....... bastids.....
Old 11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Ah, true, same here. Private purchase is private. No one else involved and still legal.
I'm definitely not clear on the legal aspects, but technically, as I understand it, even private sales are supposed to be reported. I know that most, if not all, don't, but I THINK that's the legal way of going about it.

If it were me selling a handgun that I had legally purchased, I'd want to submit something that says the next owner is now responsible for that gun. That way, if it were used in any illegal way, it wouldn't come back on me.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:30 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
I'm definitely not clear on the legal aspects, but technically, as I understand it, even private sales are supposed to be reported. I know that most, if not all, don't, but I THINK that's the legal way of going about it.

If it were me selling a handgun that I had legally purchased, I'd want to submit something that says the next owner is now responsible for that gun. That way, if it were used in any illegal way, it wouldn't come back on me.
There is no requirement to document private sales, although many sellers do request a signed bill of sale for exactly the reason you stated.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
I'm a brit that is now a US Citizen. So I kinda of understand were steve97 is coming from. For most Uk citizen's gun are very alien to them. The Uk has very strict gun control laws. Few if any citizens has ever seen let alone shot a handgun. Mostly the only people in the Uk that have weapons are criminals. Ok you have farmers and a few gun club members, but really that is about it.

Saying that I have used a fair few shotguns in the UK on a Sunday morning.

If you are from the UK, my advice would be to fly to Florida for a nice holiday. Go to the local gun range that rents guns, and plug away. It's a great way to spend an afternoon. Shooting **** that you could never own in the UK. Me I have never felt the need to own a gun. I have lived in the USA for 25 years now. Great county, I miss the UK sometimes and travel back every now and then. But if you really want to shoot up ****. The USA is the place.
I shot enough **** up in the falkland war ! still like guns though.
Gun clubs were banned under mr Blair in light of the massacre of school children at dunblane which is a shame but i understand where he was coming from
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 AM
SuperBike

I shot enough **** up in the falkland war ! still like guns though.
Gun clubs were banned under mr Blair in light of the massacre of school children at dunblane which is a shame but i understand where he was coming from
Yes, of course everyone should be punished for the act of a lunatic. Keeps everyone safer, ya know.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by taskmasta
Where I live (Virginia) you can open carry pretty much anywhere except some public places where it is obvious that you shouldn't be, like schools, government buildings, and places that serve alcohol. And you can conceal carry if you have a permit. I walk around with my 40 or 45 all the time. Every state has different laws though.
what happens when you cross the state line, do you have to get another permit,? or is the Virginia one good to go?, if thats the case why not have a National permit?

Steve
Old 11-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by killer5280
Yes, of course everyone should be punished for the act of a lunatic. Keeps everyone safer, ya know.
I understand his so called motivation, i dont agree with him.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Yeah every state in the US pretty much has a different policy.

In SC you are allowed to carry a concealed weapon, or open carry anywhere on your own property. You are also allowed to have any type of long or short gun in your home providing it is not fully automatic (and even still with the right credentials you can obtain a license for fully auto weapons) so long as you are not a convicted felon. Also anyone who is legally allowed to own a gun can carry a loaded hand gun in their glove compartment or locking/latching center console of their vehicle without a permit. To obtain a concealed weapons permit you simply have to pass a background check and take a 4-5 hour class and shooting qualification. It is really ridiculously easy down here to get a CWP as long as you have never been convicted of a felony.

A concealed weapons permit in SC allows you to carry a weapon in any place other than banks, churches and government buildings or other place properly marked as a no carry zone.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
what happens when you cross the state line, do you have to get another permit,? or is the Virginia one good to go?, if thats the case why not have a National permit?

Steve
There is a permit you can get that covers several states. I think it is the utah permit and it covers 31 states.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 AM
MotoGP

what happens when you cross the state line, do you have to get another permit,? or is the Virginia one good to go?, if that's the case why not have a National permit?

Steve
Most states honor the permits from other states, (by most I mean more than 50%) but not all (California for example doesn't honor anyone's)

There are Federal carry permits, but they are very hard to get, and not well known. (you need to show a need and get sponsored etc) I only personally know one person who had one. (she worked a job where she had to carry large amounts of cash across state lines)

Many Americans look at the Federal Government with much distrust.

Think like the European Union being the Federal Government and the US States being the member States of the European Union. Only we have had 200 years of the Federal Government (EU) and a Civil War to merge the states together.

Last edited by lazn; 11-12-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
As a transplanted Brit who has lived in the USA for over 25 years I love the gun laws in this country.I think one of the main reasons for the constitutional right to "keep and bear arms" is a protection against tyranny by the government, because of the threat posed by a well armed public.
In South Dakota where I live, you can carry a gun if you have a concealed weapon permit.This is basically a background check to ensure your not some kind of nutter, but you must also be aware of local laws, for example, in Watertown,SD. (my town) you cannot have a loaded weapon in the city limits.
I travel to Arizona a lot.There you can carry anywhere,without a permit,as long as you are a state resident.In Texas you have the right to use deadly force in defence of your life/family/property.
To carry nationwide, you need a federal permit which are very difficult to get as Lazn points out.My mate Lloyd (RIP) had a federal permit, but he was a retired US Marshall.
I am a gun owner and will always fight for my right to keep and bear arms. I love the USA..!!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Squid

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded to "gun law" very informative, and no, most of us dont trust or respect our so called Government either.

Steve