General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

avoiding johnny law...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Back Marker

call me phil
avoiding johnny law...

does anyone here have a radar detector on their machine and if so where have you mounted it? was pinched by local constable for "avoiding" the posted speed limit, got warning, my one lucky pass of the season.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Re: avoiding johnny law...

Great question, I just barely missed getting nabbed last week. I think this cop setup his trap just to get me after he saw I was going to pull back onto a road where I usually nail it. For some weird reason I had a feeling I should play it safe over a small hill - and there he was holding his ray-gun pointed at the top of the hill..... pure luck.
The trick I guess is being able to tell when the detector goes off. I suppose a dedicated speaker wired inside the helmet?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

i was thinking more of the visual lights on the detector. i had one on my old zx-10 and the lights helped avoid some major fines. i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas as to where to place one on the hawk..
Old 03-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

the last part of your comment was classic, that was funny.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

buy a valentine one and a motorcycle kit, you will be able to get the cops before they get you. valentineone.com
Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

Originally Posted by cozart02";p=&quot
Oh, and by the way - would someone please respond to my tps question besides the only other guy here who is scared to do it. I don't think the two of us are much help to one another

bastid!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Squid

Oppenheimer

I guess I shouldn't lock my bike because there are ways to get around it, or fit an alarm for the same reason?

Just because there may be other ways for an LEO to clock you, doesn't mean that a RD is worthless.

I do however have to agree that paying attention is an absolute must, with a RD or without. The worst thing you could do is have the attitude that a RD is like a bullet-proof vest, and that this makes you Superman, impervious to anything. You still have to pay attention, which you should be doing anyway just trying to notice what is around you, the deer at the side of the road, truck that is going to squash you from behind, the car that is changing lanes right into you, etc. What the RD sees over the hill or around the corner may save you, while the added attention you are paying may save you when its instant-on. The more you have in your arsenal, the better.

As for mounting, the biggest challenge is to find someplace secure, that also gives the unit an unobstructed ‘view’ of the road. For noticing the alarm you could:

- Rig up an earphone
- Rig up an external speaker, such as a small water-proof alarm system horn, with a relay
- Rig up an external bright light that will catch your attention even if you aren’t looking down
Old 03-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

well if you get a valentine one then you can move it from your car to your bike very easily. Hence it helps you in both places, since you don't need to drive both at once it works.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:48 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

My very limited experience with radar detectors brings up three points:

1) I end up riding much slower as the damn thing went off all the time (it seemed). New models I'm sure are much better.

2) Get pulled over and the LEO might let you off as I have been many, many times but if they see the detector; BAM!, instant ticket.

3) Thieves love them.

YMMV.

I've read lot's of positives about valentine ones.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cozart02";p=&quot
Yes, believe it or not you can receive a ticket and be found guilty from an officer's estimation of your speed, based on his / her training and experience.
Ah yes remember the RC51 that was clocked doing 200mph on the expressway this last fall. :wink:

The law enforcer in the plane "clocked" him at this speed.

What a crock
Old 04-01-2005, 10:55 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience with radar detectors:

- end up riding with a little less caution as I can't help but subconciously rely on it somewhat. Maybe that says something about my maturity or intelligence

- worry about it getting stolen.

Personally I seem to have better luck not using them. I have a good one right now that I dont use for the above reasons.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Back Marker

call me phil

all very good points to think about, i thank you guys for that. its still up in the air as to whether i get one, it just seems every time i get a ticket it is ususally for like 15 miles over the limit through town. i dunno still thinking.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Squid

miken996

try this link on radar detectors gives all the info you needed to know and more!!! www.speedzones.com/